Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Closed Thread

Commander
# 31
05-23-2013, 09:04 AM
cryptic broke something with the sound, among other things, but before closed beta even started this poping sound was there and after a while, most sound effects would just simply stop playing. This only occurred on tribble till lor went live on holodeck. For the life of me, I dont know why they had to mess with the sound code, as far as I could tell it was working just fine. now its not.
Career Officer
# 32
05-23-2013, 01:51 PM
I have the same problem.
Ensign
# 33
05-23-2013, 02:04 PM
DS9 had an issue much like this except several orders of magnatide worse for people with surround sound systems/headsets it took them a few weeks to sort it out that time, i think it also reared it's ugly head on bajor also when the dominion stuff was added.

I remember i played sto without sound back during the ds9 stuff it was beyond horrible. now i just listen to music and barely notice the static pop.

hope they can find whats causing it soon tho, as it is persistent throughout most of sto and not limited to a single instance or area this time.
Rihannsu
# 34
05-23-2013, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by threat21 View Post
cryptic broke something with the sound, among other things, but before closed beta even started this poping sound was there and after a while, most sound effects would just simply stop playing. This only occurred on tribble till lor went live on holodeck. For the life of me, I dont know why they had to mess with the sound code, as far as I could tell it was working just fine. now its not.
I am sorry to hear you are having the same issue, yet at the same time glad that others have noticed this pattern.

If it were just a quiet popping I could deal with it, but it's loud, and does not seem to be effected by my volume control at all.

EDIT: Popping is NOT spelled "pooping". Stupid spell check.
Fazemladaiya - proven to be THE friendliest guy on the gaming forums.
My Graphic Design Specs. Gaming computer specs coming soon once she is built.

Last edited by fazemladaiya; 05-23-2013 at 05:40 PM. Reason: EDIT: Popping is NOT spelled "pooping". Stupid spell check.
Career Officer
# 35
05-24-2013, 11:17 AM
just FYI:
https://twitter.com/Z3R0B4NG/status/337983966361554945

Brandon just confirmed to me on Twitter that he has already seen the Thread (well at least one of the three(!) i've seen so far) and forwarded it and the video [to QA].

so lets all hope for a quick fix

the more info we can collect on this the better the chances they can nail it down, so keep on it even if you can just confirm what has already been posted.

----

a bit more info from my end:

played yesterday ROM campaign from ~ char lvl 5 - 19 several missions lots of hours (first day i could really PLAY this without lag or any RL disruptions ...yay!)

the poping was persistent through most of the campaign but there have been some zones where it did not happen at all.

there is no "trigger" to make it start or stop as far as i can tell, i can play for hours, it starts and stops on its own randomly and, at least where i took that video i could restart the client wait a minute and the popping started directly without me clicking or doing anything.

i noticed, and i don't know if this is related or another issue, that my ground weapon sounds did not play anymore in the end of my play session,
i also heard the Drozana Interior ambient sound in Drozana SPACE when i had to dock/undock a few times and later i also heard the same ambient noise in a Rom Mission Map in Space, at that point i restarted the client and the ambient and shooting sounds were back to normal again, the popping sound continued.

This tells me that the files are hooked up correctly but something else is clearly messing around.

My best guess is that they simply updated to sound system with the branch update and that something in the new version is bugged.

i've also heard in the DOFFJOBS channel when i asked around that a few other players noticed this, one player said that a friend of him who never was able to use his soundcard with STO was suddenly able to use it after the update, so they clearly updated SOMETHING that didn't make it into the patchnotes.
Career Officer
# 36
05-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazemladaiya View Post
I am sorry to hear you are having the same issue, yet at the same time glad that others have noticed this pattern.

If it were just a quiet popping I could deal with it, but it's loud, and does not seem to be effected by my volume control at all.

It's definitely not just you.

I have the exact same problem an intermittent, perhaps every 8-10s (I haven't counted), popping sound and no amount of tweaking or turning options on or off has worked so far.

I haven't tried without headphones but I pretty much play STO with my headphones on 98% of the time.

I'm glad to hear bran has passed this on.

Lt. Commander
# 37
05-24-2013, 03:06 PM
I'm having the same issue too.
Commander
# 38
05-24-2013, 03:42 PM
I thought I was going crazy when I heard that cracking in the rear channels of my 5.1 setup. Thank god someone bugged Branflakes to get this up stream.

It drives me insane. Good hearing is a curse for things like this.
These forums suck. ~Omega X
Rihannsu
# 39
05-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
just FYI:
https://twitter.com/Z3R0B4NG/status/337983966361554945

Brandon just confirmed to me on Twitter that he has already seen the Thread (well at least one of the three(!) i've seen so far) and forwarded it and the video [to QA].

so lets all hope for a quick fix

the more info we can collect on this the better the chances they can nail it down, so keep on it even if you can just confirm what has already been posted.
THANK you. And thanks to Brandon (if he reads this post) for forwarding the info. If this issue gets fixed it will make me more motivated to go ahead and grab that LTS I have been wanting

I also agree that the more information we can share technically, the better. The devs cannot help us if we do not supply them with:

• What we are experiencing
  • What troubleshooting steps we have taken
  • Video/audio of the issue where applicable (though someone already posted a great example on this thread)
  • System specs - it may help them track a commonality in chipset/sound card/other hardware variation that may be leading to this issue.
Fazemladaiya - proven to be THE friendliest guy on the gaming forums.
My Graphic Design Specs. Gaming computer specs coming soon once she is built.

Last edited by fazemladaiya; 05-24-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Career Officer
# 40
05-24-2013, 05:48 PM
Same issue. Disabled Voice chat, turned all the volumes down and I still get popping. I am using BOSE speaker system, AND RAZER headphones and still get the popping.

Phones don't do this, ever and not with quality speakers. It sounds way different anyways,,, but the popping is annoying as all hell.
Closed Thread