Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Closed Thread

Survivor of Romulus
# 51
05-28-2013, 05:41 AM
5 pages and yet none of you figured out a viable cause for the sound error....what kind of geeks are you?

Let's review the facts:

1) Happening with USB headsets

2) Happening with Surround sound systems both 5.1 and 7.1

3) happening in various locations

4) Various sound files being played at once (ambient,fx,voice,etc.)

-----------

Anyone got the common denominator figured yet?

No....

How about now....

No...

Need a hint?.....

comes after three but before five.....

There ya go I knew you'd figure it out.

possible and probable cause is the sound codec they are using is trying to push through more sounds than possible and instead of harmlessly muting/ending a sound file it's still trying to process through 1 or more too many and that's when you get the pop.

USB headsets amplify the sound defect and that's why you can hear it more loudly. Rear speakers are designed to produce slightly more bass which is why it's amplified in rear speakers.

Old audio cards used to have the same problem when you selected the wrong settings (for those of us old enough to remember having to set that manually). now it's all done for you through a software file.

as someone else suggested different systems can ignore this, correct it, or amplify it which is why not everyone is having it and why it's worse for some and not others.

Mind you I'm not saying 100% that this is exactly what the problem is, but it accounts for all the situations and I had a similar problem but very isolated problem during the defense of new romulus mission during the huge battle with the Elachi. It couldn't keep up with all the different sounds and popped a couple of times until the battle died down.
Rihannsu
# 52
05-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesdark View Post
Let's review the facts:

1) Happening with USB headsets

2) Happening with Surround sound systems both 5.1 and 7.1

3) happening in various locations

4) Various sound files being played at once (ambient,fx,voice,etc.)

-----------

possible and probable cause is the sound codec they are using is trying to push through more sounds than possible and instead of harmlessly muting/ending a sound file it's still trying to process through 1 or more too many and that's when you get the pop.

USB headsets amplify the sound defect and that's why you can hear it more loudly. Rear speakers are designed to produce slightly more bass which is why it's amplified in rear speakers.

Old audio cards used to have the same problem when you selected the wrong settings (for those of us old enough to remember having to set that manually). now it's all done for you through a software file.

as someone else suggested different systems can ignore this, correct it, or amplify it which is why not everyone is having it and why it's worse for some and not others.

Mind you I'm not saying 100% that this is exactly what the problem is, but it accounts for all the situations and I had a similar problem but very isolated problem during the defense of new romulus mission during the huge battle with the Elachi. It couldn't keep up with all the different sounds and popped a couple of times until the battle died down.
I appreciate your input, and all of it is sound advice though a lot of it, mainly point #4, was touched on already in this thread.

Quote:
5 pages and yet none of you figured out a viable cause for the sound error....what kind of geeks are you?

Anyone got the common denominator figured yet?

No....

How about now....

No...

Need a hint?.....

comes after three but before five.....

There ya go I knew you'd figure it out.

However I am hoping these parts are steered toward the troubleshooting techs and not the players posting here. We're gamers and customers, not IT geeks. Not all of us eat, live and breathe computers. We have an issue. We describe the issue on the forums and hope that Cryptic comes up with a solution, since it has been observed that this most likely has to do with the drivers that Cryptic's server is using for pushing sound and not a problem with our hardware specifically. So please don't make it sound like we're morons or something because we're not IT geeks. It's a game . . . not a server infrastructure that we all maintain as a staff.
Fazemladaiya - proven to be THE friendliest guy on the gaming forums.
My Graphic Design Specs. Gaming computer specs coming soon once she is built.

Last edited by fazemladaiya; 05-28-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Ensign
# 53
05-28-2013, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgwiGoNTZ3k

is that the same popping sound you are all hearing? yes?
This is the EXACT same sound I was hearing. So far I've only had it happen once, which was a couple of nights ago. I honestly thought it was my speaker set, so I never really paid attention to where I was or what I was doing when it occurred. I do know I wasn't on my Romulan at the time, nor was I in any of the newer areas. IIRC, I was either on Qo'noS or Ganalda Station at the time on one of my old KDF toons.

The reason I thought it was a problem with my speaker set is because just after the warranty expired on it, I started having a problem (popping, crackling, buzzing, sound cutting in/out) with the left rear channel of my set. Thankfully, due to my speaker set being THX certified (all speakers are exactly the same and all channel outputs on the hardware produce the same sound levels), I was able to bypass this problem by running the rear channel output through the side channel input/output on my speaker set to the rear speakers and run it in a true 5.1 setup instead of the 7.1 it was designed to.

Hardware:
Creative GigaWorks S750 (7.1 running as 5.1)
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Pro PCIe

Quote:
Rear speakers are designed to produce slightly more bass which is why it's amplified in rear speakers.
This is not true for THX certified hardware. In a TXH setup, all speakers are the same, and output is equal across all channels, so if you played a single sound equally across all channels, you'd hear no difference in pitch or tone from any speaker.
Lieutenant
# 54
05-28-2013, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by streethawke View Post
Same issue. Disabled Voice chat, turned all the volumes down and I still get popping. I am using BOSE speaker system, AND RAZER headphones and still get the popping.

Phones don't do this, ever and not with quality speakers. It sounds way different anyways,,, but the popping is annoying as all hell.
Did you really brag about having (lol) BOSE. It could very well be the BOSE speaker system.
----------------
Veni Vidi Vici
Confucius says "A Panda is most dangerous when Sad".
Rihannsu
# 55
05-28-2013, 08:17 PM
I forgot to mention something important before.

I do not believe this is at all related specifically to surround sound. While on surround systems it seems to effect only certain channels (mainly the rear), I remembered that I once had a regular jack-style headset that was just a regular 2-speaker headset and had this issue. In fact I bought the G35's because I thought my headset as the issue. I have also assured that ALL surround in both Windows, the Logitech control panel AND even the hard switch on this headset is completely off and disabled and the only difference it makes its to make the horrible popping more tolerable to bear in order to game a while longer.
Fazemladaiya - proven to be THE friendliest guy on the gaming forums.
My Graphic Design Specs. Gaming computer specs coming soon once she is built.
Ensign
# 56
05-29-2013, 05:47 PM
Using a plantroinics G780 same bug.

I had assumed it was the headset itself, but after testing it against my backup pair (new one, never opened) of 780s, using a old audio jack based pair of earbuds from sony. Its definitely something on STO's end.

This only occurs when I play this game, I've run a few other games with huge sound sources (notably dawn of war 2, and a few RTS things like star craft). No repeats of that popping tiill I launch STO.

In regards to captain obvious on codecs. Most people assume it is this by now, its just without confirmation from STO devs or whatever, its just speculation. No need to be all snarky about it.

People are relaying relevant information regarding whats happening and what they are doing to try and troubleshoot it.

Last edited by neyari; 05-29-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Rihannsu
# 57
05-29-2013, 05:51 PM
I'm getting this too, but it comes and goes.
Lt. Commander
# 58
05-29-2013, 06:06 PM
Same issue, I 1st noticed it on Tribble, an thought, well maybe it wont migrate to Holo >.<' but sure enough it did and the only way I can fix it atm is to restart STO :/.
Ensign
# 59 G930 wireless pops
05-30-2013, 09:06 AM
yep pops ehre also. sux.
Commander
# 60
05-30-2013, 09:23 AM
sound was working fine till they ramped up tribble for lor, then it was broken. It was reported, ignored, broken sound made its way to holodeck. the common denominator is cryptic.
Closed Thread