Lt. Commander
So I was starting to play through the new LoR content yesterday, going along, going along... The first few missions were fantastic. "The Search for New Romulus" - I think it was? - where you beamed down to Mol'Rihan and ran around a bit seemed to drag a bit because of the huge map and the travel time, but it was still great.

But I was really starting to notice something - nearly every enemy in the game was being thrown at me, and after the first few missions that focused on the Tal Shiar and the new Elachi, it started to seem like there is very little cohesion to the storyline.

Okay, I can get Hirogen mercenaries working for the Tal Shiar... I guess. And random packs of scavenging Nausicaans... I suppose.

But then we come to "Memory Lane" - which I haven't completed yet, I was halfway through when Emergency Maintenance cut me off. In space, we fight packs of scavenging Nausicaans. Okay, that's fine... I guess. But we're already fighting hired Hirogen, or why couldn't we just run across a sensor satellite left behind by the Tal Shiar that would call them to the system, or something? But okay, Nausicaans, I can work with this. Sure.

Then on the planet in the ground section, (my toon is KDF-allied), suddenly there are Federation troops to oppose me, investigating Virinat. What the... where from? Huh? What the heck? Nausicaan Pirate rebels and Starfleet are working together? This kind of glaring error should have been spotted a lot earlier!

I'm just a little baffled, some of the opposition seems like the episode writers/level designers reached into the NPC lists in a rush and grabbed the nearest thing that "made sense" at the time, only to discover later that maybe it didn't. Previous episode series were more or less extensively focused on one or two or three enemy types and a more tightly focused plot, and the change confuses me.

I kinda wonder how extensively beta-tested this was. I know most of my fleetmates that participated in the beta didn't go past the first tutorial section for story as they didn't want to spoil it for themselves on release...
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
05-22-2013, 02:37 AM
It only seems to get more diverse.

I like it though. Battling the same enemies every mission would soon become dull.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
05-22-2013, 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsvoid View Post
...Huh? What the heck? Nausicaan Pirate rebels and Starfleet are working together? This kind of glaring error should have been spotted a lot earlier!
And now you finally realize the gloom truth about the Federation in STO!

----------------------------------------------
Show your support for the Revamped Galaxy Class Exploration Cruiser here!
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
05-22-2013, 04:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsvoid View Post
So I was starting to play through the new LoR content yesterday, going along, going along... The first few missions were fantastic. "The Search for New Romulus" - I think it was? - where you beamed down to Mol'Rihan and ran around a bit seemed to drag a bit because of the huge map and the travel time, but it was still great.

But I was really starting to notice something - nearly every enemy in the game was being thrown at me, and after the first few missions that focused on the Tal Shiar and the new Elachi, it started to seem like there is very little cohesion to the storyline.

Okay, I can get Hirogen mercenaries working for the Tal Shiar... I guess. And random packs of scavenging Nausicaans... I suppose.

But then we come to "Memory Lane" - which I haven't completed yet, I was halfway through when Emergency Maintenance cut me off. In space, we fight packs of scavenging Nausicaans. Okay, that's fine... I guess. But we're already fighting hired Hirogen, or why couldn't we just run across a sensor satellite left behind by the Tal Shiar that would call them to the system, or something? But okay, Nausicaans, I can work with this. Sure.

Then on the planet in the ground section, (my toon is KDF-allied), suddenly there are Federation troops to oppose me, investigating Virinat. What the... where from? Huh? What the heck? Nausicaan Pirate rebels and Starfleet are working together? This kind of glaring error should have been spotted a lot earlier!

I'm just a little baffled, some of the opposition seems like the episode writers/level designers reached into the NPC lists in a rush and grabbed the nearest thing that "made sense" at the time, only to discover later that maybe it didn't. Previous episode series were more or less extensively focused on one or two or three enemy types and a more tightly focused plot, and the change confuses me.

I kinda wonder how extensively beta-tested this was. I know most of my fleetmates that participated in the beta didn't go past the first tutorial section for story as they didn't want to spoil it for themselves on release...
Just makes me even more glad I sided with the feds.
Lieutenant
# 5
05-22-2013, 11:05 AM
My understanding was that the Nausicaans vessels are simply raiding parties, who are roaming around most of the systems in the sector to scavenge things or 'make' things to scavenge. You are somewhat close to KDF territory, so it's not absurd that Nausicaans would show up in the Romulans' backyard from time to time.

The Starfleet/KDF (depending on your allied faction) personnel on the surface are there in support of your alternate faction counterpart, whose sole existence is to tell you that you made a horrible mistake in choosing the faction that you did, but as long as you both bleed green it's cool. Their ship is probably hidden in orbit somewhere, or just equally capable of dispatching simple pirates.

In short, the two groups are not working together whatsoever. They just happen to be at the same planet at the same time, looking to show some green-blooded pointy-eared fools (or their dark-dwelling psychic neighbors) what's what. Or something about introducing newer players to combat with baddies other than Tal Shiar scum and their robot friends. I'm fine with it.
Commander
# 6
05-22-2013, 07:23 PM
Yah, the Nausicaans are just scavengers and raiders operating in the region, if you payed attention to the dialogue, you would have picked up on this.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-23-2013, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylermaxwell View Post
My understanding was that the Nausicaans vessels are simply raiding parties, who are roaming around most of the systems in the sector to scavenge things or 'make' things to scavenge. You are somewhat close to KDF territory, so it's not absurd that Nausicaans would show up in the Romulans' backyard from time to time.

The Starfleet/KDF (depending on your allied faction) personnel on the surface are there in support of your alternate faction counterpart, whose sole existence is to tell you that you made a horrible mistake in choosing the faction that you did, but as long as you both bleed green it's cool...
I did finish the mission since my OP, and I did get this.

I still stand by my OP, the whole thing comes off as a bit unfocused, doing a tour of each kind of opponent in the game, in comparison with other mission series. Memory Lane in particular has been the most unbelievable in this regard, though.
And I was quite disappointed I didn't have to remodulate my weapons when doing the Borg mission! I went and replicated the frequency modulators and everything! They teach you to use a flashlight in that mission, was the freq. mod really a bridge too far..?
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-23-2013, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronh42 View Post
Yah, the Nausicaans are just scavengers and raiders operating in the region, if you payed attention to the dialogue, you would have picked up on this.
And there is the problem. Most people don't pay attention or even read the dialogue that comes up.
Empire Veteran
# 9
05-23-2013, 08:02 AM
But the Romulan on the other faction is still bizarre. Apparently he was never a Republic officer; he's some other form of ally. And he's pretty nonchalant about the fact you just wasted his crew.
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-23-2013, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarium1979 View Post
And there is the problem. Most people don't pay attention or even read the dialogue that comes up.
Speaking of reading, I'm not sure you or the person you're replying to even read my OP where I clearly stated that I acknowledged they were scavengers.

Or maybe you're just trolling.