Lt. Commander
# 101
01-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Great job Cryptic! Keep up the good work...a happy lifer here
Lt. Commander
# 102 BO Customization
01-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Sex and species are still off the customization block, ...
Why?

Seriously, considering the number of ways we can customize our own toon, our ship, our uniforms, etc. Why can't we (similar to Adm. Kirk in ST:TMP) say "I'd still like a Vulcan there, if possible..."

Roleplayers in the game and on these forums have stated that it is unrealistic to have this ability without earning the "Starfleet merits" necessary to "buy" them. But in response, I ask them to consider this...

I can go to a Garak look alike in Sector 001 and change my BO's skin color to white, green, red or blue. I can make him 7 feet tall or 5 feet short; I can make him thin or fat, bald or bushy haired. I can give him scales, horns, fish gills, and claws. All with no cost whatsoever. But I can't make a Bolian into a Trill. How does that make any sense.

Soon after the tutorial missions are over, we earn enough merits to buy one officer, but where is the reward from my missions if I turn around and delete the BO I earned so I can BUY the one I want?

We can buy the race we want from the personnel office and then alter them however we choose, but that costs merits and kind of negates the "newbie missions" where our reward includes a bridge officer. And thus far I haven't found a way to "sell" off the original officer without simply hitting the "discharge" button which appears to be a glorified delete key.

So I must ask again:

Why is the ability to choose the sex and species of our episode reward bridge officers off the table?
Lt. Commander
# 103 STO still not working
01-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Well I'm glad to know that some are able to play STO. However, I keep getting "Couldn't locate D3D device" after the launcher fails to launch from steam.

I'm running Windows 7 -64 bit through a Boot Camp partition on a Macbook Pro with following specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,3
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

with a NIVIDIA 9400M & 9600M GT video cards.

talked to an apple expert last week, said my system is top of the line and should run the game 4 times over. Said it's not an issue with Mac or Microsoft, but with the game.

I would really like to play the game, and have already bought a life time subscription. Hopefully, it doesn't take a lifetime before I can play STO.

feeling rather bummed out about this,
Alex
Lt. Commander
# 104
01-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklight128 View Post
"Again, thank you so much for showing an interest in our game and helping us to improve the experience for all. We really appreciate the feedback and we look forward to hearing more and more and more as we continue to develop and improve Star Trek Online far past its February launch."

oh yeah theres gonna be plenty of feed back alright... till 2011 when the game is actually finished.

later this week = the day before release so you dont have time to see how much is missing Im sure....
since when is the release date later this week. later this week means friday or saturday.
Lt. Commander
# 105
01-18-2010, 12:23 PM
In regards to the Graphics overheating issues, I'm the same, I have an ATi 3870 x2 and have have many random crashes when beaming down to a planet (not been on the character creation screen since I started, so dunno if it happens there), it seems to me that there are D3D issues, as I get an error report popup saying something like 'error while locking a texture', but also I think there maybe problems with particle rendering too, but I can't be sure because sometimes I just get kicked to desktop. I've lowered the settings to about 50% and for the moment it all seems to be working alright, at least the crashes have lessened in frequency.

I understand it's a Beta, so I'm not complaining, but it seems like a lot of map/graphic optimisation needs to be done before launch, but if it's on the to-do list, it's all good

Thanks for keeping us updated

TheMightySpud
Lt. Commander
# 106
01-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Yay. I look forward to seeing all of your work.

I'm looking forward, even more, to the finished product.

Please keep up the good work.

EB
Lt. Commander
# 107
01-18-2010, 12:24 PM
if your video card is under 70 celcius its fine stop being stupid people that dont understand hardware
Lt. Commander
# 108
01-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alextar
Well I'm glad to know that some are able to play STO. However, I keep getting "Couldn't locate D3D device" after the launcher fails to launch from steam.

I'm running Windows 7 -64 bit through a Boot Camp partition on a Macbook Pro with following specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,3
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

with a NIVIDIA 9400M & 9600M GT video cards.

talked to an apple expert last week, said my system is top of the line and should run the game 4 times over. Said it's not an issue with Mac or Microsoft, but with the game.

I would really like to play the game, and have already bought a life time subscription. Hopefully, it doesn't take a lifetime before I can play STO.

feeling rather bummed out about this,
Alex
not to be a flamer but STO is not suppoted on any mac. (even though this one is intel based and running windows 7) it might be a issue with bootcamp since as you said the hardware is good enough to run it.

have you tried uninstalling the client and redownloading
Lt. Commander
# 109 Thank You
01-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Wonderful, always promising when you can maintain a sense of humor in these stressful times. Love the update, looking forward to the changes, and I really appreciate that it's obvious you're reading the forums and addressing as many of the issues as you can. Keep up the great work. And thank you for putting up with all our anger, frustration, and ignorance. We want the game to succeed as much as you do, and sometimes we only see our end of the equation.

-Arn
Lt. Commander
# 110
01-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Quote:
By popular demand, Bridge Officers can now be immediately renamed and tailor when they join your crew. Sex and species are still off the customization block, but pretty much everything else can be meddled with.
If I get three females bridge officers in a row like I have now I'm just going to have to do a Charlie's Angels theme.

How about a compromise. Let us change the sex of the unknown races.