Empire Veteran
I was looking around and something that always bugged me was the rank system in STO. I strongly feel that all players should just be referred to as Captain (Fed/KDF) and Commander (Romulan) with other ranks being just user title unlocks as you level.

However it seems Cryptic is determined to have a rank system in this game. So going with that I had a look at the Klingon ranks and compared them with the other factions and visa versa.

I annoyed me that the Klingon rank structure was almost a direct copy of the Federation rank structure. So I thought about mixing things up a bit. I decided to also include a level 60 rank due to the talk about of a possible level increase cap in a future season. I personally don't like that idea and don't see the point. I don't want to have to grind all my gear up again. But that's not the point of this thread.

Anyway this is what I came up with.

Klingon Defense Force
  • Level 0-9 Sergeant (as seen in Star Trek 3)
  • Level 10-19 Lieutenant
  • Level 20-29 Officer (to mix the KDF rank system up and get it away from the Fed a bit)
  • Level 30-39 Commander
  • Level 40-49 Captain
  • Level 50-59 Brigadier (Just Brigadier without the General is canon as seen in Star Trek 6)
  • Level 60 General

Romulan Republic
  • Level 0-9 Citizen (for the tutorial) then it changes to Sub Lieutenant
  • Level 10-19 Lieutenant
  • Level 20-29 Centurion
  • Level 30-39 Sub Commander
  • Level 40-49 Commander
  • Level 50 - 59 Sub Admiral/General or perhaps Colonel
  • Level 60 Admiral / General (depending on your ally)

Starfleet
  • Level 0-9 Ensign (for the tutorial) then it changes to Lieutenant Junior Grade
  • Level 10-19 Lieutenant
  • Level 20-29 Lieutenant Commander
  • Level 30-39 Commander
  • Level 40-49 Captain
  • Level 50-59 Rear Admiral or Commodore
  • Level 60 Vice Admiral

In all the three factions I tried to keep the Lieutenant rank in-line as much as possible, a bit hard with the Federation one, Lieutenant could be changed to Ensign and Lieutenant Junior Grade become Lieutenant. But I don't think it's a big deal with them being different levels.

I tried to make each rank structure as unique as possible while keeping true to each species/faction. I suggested Colonel for level 50-59 for the Romulans due to the fact that both General and Admiral exists in canon (I hate that concept of canon, but so many fans live and breathe by it) and so thought having Federation Romulans at max level become an Admiral and KDF ones become General and going from a Sub-Admiral to a General is a little strange. Alternatively instead of Colonel Fed Romulans could be Sub-Admiral and KDF Romulans Sub-General which I think could be a better alternative. Plus I like the idea of KDF Romulans being General will make it easier to see which allied with who in sector space etc.

In the KDF and Romulan militaries Admirals and Generals were often seen in command of ships so I thought having them at max level was okay. However you rarely if ever see a full Admiral in Starfleet commanding ships, so I thought Vice Admiral as it currently is at level 50 was better.

Feel free to discuss and make suggestions, I created this thread for open discussion about the rank system, especially KDF ranks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"

Last edited by majesticmsfc; 06-01-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Career Officer
# 2
06-01-2013, 01:43 AM
HMMM interesting.
Have you consiered ditching the "Officer" for level 20-29 and placing the "Commander" and "Captain" 10 levels earlier (respectively)?
We know the KDF uses a rank structure that is more akin to the one use by armies and even includes Colonels (like Colonel Worf).
It does make sense to include the rank of "Commander" since Kurn wore that rank in TNG and Riker was placed inbetween Lt. Klag and Captain Kargan in "A Matter of Honor".
The Colonel in my proposed structure would be the counterpart to the naval "Captain" (like in RL) and would also bridge the gap between a more "naval" structure at lower ranks and the more "army"-style in the upper levels.

Level 0-9 Sergeant (as seen in Star Trek 3)
Level 10-19 Lieutenant
Level 20-29 Commander
Level 30-39 Captain
Level 40-49 Colonel (Like Colonel Worf in Star Trek 6)
Level 50-59 Brigadier (Just Brigadier without the General is canon as seen in Star Trek 6)
Level 60 General
Empire Veteran
# 3
06-01-2013, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
HMMM interesting.
Have you consiered ditching the "Officer" for level 20-29 and placing the "Commander" and "Captain" 10 levels earlier (respectively)?
We know the KDF uses a rank structure that is more akin to the one use by armies and even includes Colonels (like Colonel Worf).
It does make sense to include the rank of "Commander" since Kurn wore that rank in TNG and Riker was placed inbetween Lt. Klag and Captain Kargan in "A Matter of Honor".
The Colonel in my proposed structure would be the counterpart to the naval "Captain" (like in RL) and would also bridge the gap between a more "naval" structure at lower ranks and the more "army"-style in the upper levels.

Level 0-9 Sergeant (as seen in Star Trek 3)
Level 10-19 Lieutenant
Level 20-29 Commander
Level 30-39 Captain
Level 40-49 Colonel (Like Colonel Worf in Star Trek 6)
Level 50-59 Brigadier (Just Brigadier without the General is canon as seen in Star Trek 6)
Level 60 General
I had seriously considered Colonel and really see no reason why it couldn't be included and would also make the KDF rank structure more unique than even I suggested in my opening post.

I choose to keep Commander and Captain at their positions only because it could confuse some players, though to be honest I would like to see it included in the KDF lineup as it is canon though it's position in the rank structure is unknown and seems Cryptic took the easy and safe path (like they normally do) rather than do something new and different.
Quote:
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Career Officer
# 4
06-01-2013, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticmsfc View Post
I had seriously considered Colonel and really see no reason why it couldn't be included and would also make the KDF rank structure more unique than even I suggested in my opening post.

I choose to keep Commander and Captain at their positions only because it could confuse some players, though to be honest I would like to see it included in the KDF lineup as it is canon though it's position in the rank structure is unknown and seems Cryptic took the easy and safe path (like they normally do) rather than do something new and different.
Well, I thought about that in the past as well.
However since the Romulans now have "Commander" where the Feds have "Captain", Cryptic already went a unique (and non-"safe") path with the Romualns.
So why not do the same with the Klingons?
Empire Veteran
# 5
06-01-2013, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Well, I thought about that in the past as well.
However since the Romulans now have "Commander" where the Feds have "Captain", Cryptic already went a unique (and non-"safe") path with the Romualns.
So why not do the same with the Klingons?
My point exactly, now it's time to get some changes to the KDF ranks, rather than a copy and paste Federation rank structure.
Quote:
Quote:
Career Officer
# 6
06-01-2013, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticmsfc View Post
My point exactly, now it's time to get some changes to the KDF ranks, rather than a copy and paste Federation rank structure.
YUP...but then...why are you concerned captain at level 30 would confuse new players when the romulans have commander at 40?
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-01-2013, 08:13 AM
Lieutenant Junior Grade is before Lieutenant =D

Starfleet

Level 0-9 Ensign (for the tutorial) then it changes to Lieutenant Junior Grade
Level 10-19 Lieutenant
Level 20-29 Lieutenant Commander
Level 30-39 Commander
Level 40-49 Captain
Level 50-59 Rear Admiral or Commodore
Level 60 Vice Admiral
Republic Veteran
# 8
06-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Making a bad system worse.
____
STO community Doom-O-Meter: ||||||||| >> WARNING <<
Captain
# 9
06-01-2013, 12:37 PM
The lowest rank someone will have while being placed in command of even the smallest warship is Commander. If anything, a player should be at that title when they make a new character. The highest most players should be able to get is Captain, or the appropriate rank title equivalent. And then, IMHO, only Fleet Leaders could attain the title of Fleet Admiral with all the nice little uniform perks for that rank. The few officers that can be appointed by the Fleet Admiral / Leader can be lesser grades of admiral, like Rear, Vice, etc. Heck, maybe a system to dictate what the highest rank of admiral is possible depending on the number of players within the fleet (not toons). Like the largest fleets having a Fleet Admiral for the leader's title.

But most of us should just be Captains. Which is just fine in Star Trek lore. Kirk, Picard and such were Captains for ages. Hell, Admiral Kirk took his demotion back to a starship captain with a smile

Last edited by warmaker001b; 06-01-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 10
06-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Quote:
YUP...but then...why are you concerned captain at level 30 would confuse new players when the romulans have commander at 40?
Like I said I was trying to work within Cryptic's reasoning. Hell some players don't even notice the fleet message of the day nor how to get new duty officers from the Academy.

I would much rather not have a rank system at all with everything the same rank and the ranks just user title choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehappytapeworm View Post
Lieutenant Junior Grade is before Lieutenant =D

Starfleet

Level 0-9 Ensign (for the tutorial) then it changes to Lieutenant Junior Grade
Level 10-19 Lieutenant
Level 20-29 Lieutenant Commander
Level 30-39 Commander
Level 40-49 Captain
Level 50-59 Rear Admiral or Commodore
Level 60 Vice Admiral
My bad. Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmaker001b View Post
The lowest rank someone will have while being placed in command of even the smallest warship is Commander. If anything, a player should be at that title when they make a new character. The highest most players should be able to get is Captain, or the appropriate rank title equivalent. And then, IMHO, only Fleet Leaders could attain the title of Fleet Admiral with all the nice little uniform perks for that rank. The few officers that can be appointed by the Fleet Admiral / Leader can be lesser grades of admiral, like Rear, Vice, etc. Heck, maybe a system to dictate what the highest rank of admiral is possible depending on the number of players within the fleet (not toons). Like the largest fleets having a Fleet Admiral for the leader's title.

But most of us should just be Captains. Which is just fine in Star Trek lore. Kirk, Picard and such were Captains for ages. Hell, Admiral Kirk took his demotion back to a starship captain with a smile
Restricting Fleet Admiral etc to just Fleet Leaders or large fleets would just make the fleet situation worse as many people would then want to make a fleet just to have that rank. How many 1-4 man fleets are out there currently? Too many. Everyday I see someone asking for help forming a fleet on Qo'Nos ans even offering EC and then after it's creation you can leave. Restricting such a rank isn't a good idea at all imo.
Quote:
Quote: