Lt. Commander
# 1 STO is unplayable
01-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Right now STO is unplayable for me

I am begining to suspect that I have some sort of issue beyond just being based in New Zealand, the recent high load on the server and the login issues. Firstly I should say that I am a veteran of many MMO's and currently active in SWG & DDO, with no issues whatsoever. My PC exceeds the minimum tesch spec, I have the latest drivers for my ATI card and I have had no issues playing Warhammer, Age of Conan & beta testing Fallen Earth recently, so I am surprised by the issues I am having with STO.

My issues with STO are as follows: - It takes me several attempts to log into the game at best, and when I am in-game, there is either complete lag conditions, (stuck in place, rubber-banding, flickering, uncontrolable movement), or I have the red "Server not Responding" message every 30 seconds. Over the past 4 days I have yet to complete the tutorial, or even get to my own ship due to the above problems.

I have been following the support forums and reading through the technical issues threads and have not seen anyone else suffering from the above 'Server not Responding" problems. I have even contacted other NZ based players who are at least able to get in game for significant periods of time, that may have lag, but nothing as severe as I am having.

I conclude that there is something not quite right with my set up and I have therefore created a Dxdiag for your review, (http://pastebin.com/m71d0ec68)

If anyone has any other suggestions, I am all ears, (a Spock reference )
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Bump bump bumpity bump
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-18-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm in Australia (though on ADSL2+) and aside from the server wide "cannot log in" stuff, it plays like a dream whenever I'm in.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-18-2010, 10:36 PM
Some are saying that Cryptic is running stress tests. I personally dont believe that in the least, I think they are in one big rush to put out this game; a lot of the problems that people are having are really closed beta problems not, two weeks before release, open beta problems.

Here's to you finding the solution to your problem.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braxiatel View Post
Some are saying that Cryptic is running stress tests. I personally dont believe that in the least, I think they are in one big rush to put out this game; a lot of the problems that people are having are really closed beta problems not, two weeks before release, open beta problems..
It has been established numerous times that the version we are playing now is OUTDATED. It exists only for stress testing. People who played closed beta have even said as much, that the end of CB had solved a lot of the problems anyway. I'm sure you'll find your hat delicious when they update us soon to the full verson...
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiglord View Post
Right now STO is unplayable for me

I am begining to suspect that I have some sort of issue beyond just being based in New Zealand, the recent high load on the server and the login issues. Firstly I should say that I am a veteran of many MMO's and currently active in SWG & DDO, with no issues whatsoever. My PC exceeds the minimum tesch spec, I have the latest drivers for my ATI card and I have had no issues playing Warhammer, Age of Conan & beta testing Fallen Earth recently, so I am surprised by the issues I am having with STO.

My issues with STO are as follows: - It takes me several attempts to log into the game at best, and when I am in-game, there is either complete lag conditions, (stuck in place, rubber-banding, flickering, uncontrolable movement), or I have the red "Server not Responding" message every 30 seconds. Over the past 4 days I have yet to complete the tutorial, or even get to my own ship due to the above problems.

I have been following the support forums and reading through the technical issues threads and have not seen anyone else suffering from the above 'Server not Responding" problems. I have even contacted other NZ based players who are at least able to get in game for significant periods of time, that may have lag, but nothing as severe as I am having.

I conclude that there is something not quite right with my set up and I have therefore created a Dxdiag for your review, (http://pastebin.com/m71d0ec68)

If anyone has any other suggestions, I am all ears, (a Spock reference )
this may be more server then you realize. i am based in the US (east coast) and i get the server not responding, server full error, rubberbanding etc as well, everytime i go to play. i suspect, based on results of other games friends in "oceania" have mentioned, that you may have these issues at a larger extent (bigger "rubberbands" etc) then others, such as myself, but we are all experiencing them.

you are not alone in the pain

i will suggest you update your video drivers as yours are out of date. the latest version was released this past december. this may help with some of the lag and rubberbanding, not much can be done about server not responding and server full errors though
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-18-2010, 11:30 PM
I'm having the same issue, but it comes and goes. For the most part, the past two days have been completely unplayable. After it took me over 6 minutes just to say something in chat I had to ALT-TAB and bring up the taskmgr and end the process. I couldn't even exit the game because of lag. Before that, I was playing roughly between the hours of midnight and 6 a.m. CST and it ran like a dream. I liked that too, because with fewer people on the server, my latency wasn't nearly as bad.

But the past two days I have not been able to do anything at all. Completely worthless. I REALLY hope they update the version soon because this older version is making me want to pull my hair out.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-19-2010, 03:42 AM
You're not alone, New Zealand. I'm in Minnesota and experiencing the same issue. In fact, your account is precisely the same as mine was on Day One of open beta. However, when I logged in from a different physical location with a different internet connection, I had no showstopping problems. From the location I originally tried, I still cannot log in without the precise issue you describe. It's a campus network; so I'm guessing their firewall settings might have something to do with it. Regardless, as you say, I have no problem playing other games. So it's frustrating. Hopefully, the devs will flip a switch, plug in some more servers, or whatever they have to do to get things running smoother. I'm certainly not buying the game if things don't improve drastically by launch.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the tips and advice guys, much appreciated.

I had a solid 45 mins play early this morning (NZ time), no issues, nothing... I even managed to finish up the tutorial and was wandering around the Stardock. But then game started to lag and I got the dreaded "Server not Responsing" message, and it's back to same old problems,,,

So I think I can safely say that it's not necessarily a problem at my end, as I could play well enough when it was stable. So I guess I'll be waiting for Cryptic to implement their new servers and optimisation code, to see if that helps.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-19-2010, 11:06 PM
Bumpity Bump bump bump....

Come on Dev's.... It looks like I am not the only one suffering with horrendous lag & "SERVER NOT RESPONDING" issues, while testing the Open beta client for any real period of time....

Surely this is exactly why the client is being tested...?

I can accept that being on the otherside of the planet comes with it's own set of complications, in terms of network connectivity, lag and longer ping times, but being a veteran of over 10+ MMO beta tests in the past 8 years, this is exceptional.

For the majority of any 24 hour period I have lengthy issues, (15mins+) loging on to your authentication server. On most occassions it takes me 3-5 attempts to get to the character selection screen, without losing connectivity to the login server. Once I get to the character selection screen and select my toon, (Spiglord), it may take another 3-5 attempts to get to the loading page with the Turbolift or Earth Spacedock splash screen. ( I also have a 'flashing background during the loading page) This step will frequently stop during the progress bar with the message "SERVER NOT RESPONDING". The game will hang until it returns to the blue background login screen.

On over 95% of the occassions that I get past that step and can see my toon, I will get the "SERVER NOT RESPONDING" message that will intermitantly disappear, but any attempt to move my toon will result is massive 'rubber-banding' followed by the "SERVER NOT RESPONDING" message again. I have spent over an hour in-game in this state today, with no discernable change.

For the record I have only managed to login sucessfully twice in the past 6 days, (out of a couple of hundred attempts), and not have the above issues, and the game has run rock solid for approx 30-45 mins each time. These 2 occassion occured before 9am NZ time, (approx. before midday PST) Once the first "SERVER NOT RESPONDING" message appears, I am back to the same problems identified above.

I can CATAGORICALLY state that I have not had these issues with other games when beta testing from my New Zealand location. I recently participated in the Fallen Earth closed/open beta with no network or server connectivity issues over a period of 3 months. I currently play DDO & SWG full time, and Age of Conan, Everquest II, PotBS, Vanguard on occassion with no issues.

I cannot be more clear than that.... There is some sort of issue that is impacting my ability to connect to your game server that is crippling in it's scope. If I am not the only person exhibiting these problems then you may have a problem. I am willing to accept that the problem could be at my end and would like someone to review my DXDIAG, (in OP) to see if there are any clues.

Please do not leave me hanging any longer.... Cheers