Lt. Commander
k so playing beta and only just started out and seems unstable allready as have had 3 crashes all where i need to manually reboot pc to get out of,

Problem:

Playing game then game goes black sound goes horrible and stuttery,
Cubism effect on screen ie all pixelated.

Have to MANUALLY reboot pc to get out of.

Sepc:

e8400 3.0 watercooled.
4870 512mb(fully updated drivers)
vista home premuim 64 bit
4gb ram
650power
heres DXDIAG

http://pastebin.com/d57ddabd3

********dynamic lighting is off************

grr this anoying as hell freezing and going into cubism affect and manually rebooting is never good for pc

this problem becoming extreamely anoying as hell, warhammer onlind had simular issue i remember then they did something and it went away.

please SOMONE TELL ME WHAT I CAN DO..
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-19-2010, 03:50 AM
this still an issue, anyone?

this affects a lot of people too looking around, arent they going to fix this before release or at least tell us exactly what part of game cuases this.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-19-2010, 03:53 AM
try turning off all post processing effects solved my crashnig issues.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-19-2010, 04:08 AM
i not exactly crashing to destop i freezes then i have to MANUALLY reboot pc. which is a right **** up.

any ideas to why this happends? or what can i do to in order for somone to see what going wrong?
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-19-2010, 04:14 AM
Videofreeze is normally associated with overheating.
I see you run a watercooled system, did you overclock the cpu and / or the gpu?
Lt. Commander
It's a long shot but is your 4870 a Sapphire card by any chance? My old Sapphire Radeon 4870 512MB had the same issue with certain games and at the time I put it down to Vista drivers (as with XP it was better behaved). I eventually found out though that the earlier Sapphire 512MB units had an older BIOS that caused the card to crash the system when it tried to dynamically adujst it's core GPU speeds.

The page I found that explained the issue and the workaround/fix is here:

http://forums.amd.com/game/messagevi...hreadid=100973

By *carefully* reading and then following the suggestions there I first verified that I had the same issue (using the workaround) and then permanently resolved the issue by updating the BIOS of the Radeon card.

Please do be careful when tinkering with card speeds and especially when flashing the BIOS, it's your own problem if you fry your hardware! And of course if your card isn't a Sapphire then this fix isn't for you...

Hope this helps, and good luck.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-19-2010, 05:11 AM
I have no crashes or graphics glitches. Here is my spec:

Q6600 @ 3GHz (aircooled)
Sapphire 4870 1GB (9-12 Catalyst drivers)
Windows 7 x64
4GB RAM
Antec TruePower Quattro 850 PSU

I have all the graphics settings in the STO menu switched on (e.g. full dynamic lighing, soft particles, post-processing, etc).

Texture detail levels are set to 200%.

Hmm I think I have shadows on Low and Max Lights on 3
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-19-2010, 07:30 AM
Shadow try the tip from caldrin. It had solved my problems with game freezes and manually reboot.
Thx to caldrin!
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-19-2010, 07:42 AM
See specs below. I have a Shappire 4870 too although I have an accelero cooler to replace the stock cooler bringing the idle temp down 40deg C max and at this time of year mid to high 30's. I can't recall any problems at all.

I had a bad history with my first custom pc built by a 3rd party so I went and built this rig with power and cooling high on the agenda as I feel that contributed to my previous pc's downfall although the people making it didn't warn me. Plenty of fans and space and no pressure on the psu. All STO stuff I think is maxed out except for a couple I don't really know what they do and what is the better setting. I get the occasional vertical synch line when I move too fast in ground combat but that's about it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V_Silverwings View Post
See specs below. I have a Shappire 4870 too although I have an accelero cooler to replace the stock cooler bringing the idle temp down 40deg C max and at this time of year mid to high 30's. I can't recall any problems at all.

I had a bad history with my first custom pc built by a 3rd party so I went and built this rig with power and cooling high on the agenda as I feel that contributed to my previous pc's downfall although the people making it didn't warn me. Plenty of fans and space and no pressure on the psu. All STO stuff I think is maxed out except for a couple I don't really know what they do and what is the better setting. I get the occasional vertical synch line when I move too fast in ground combat but that's about it.
Yeah, the difference between yours and ours is, that we have a version with only 512 mb I flashed my bios as descriped below... maybe, it will work with processing effects now too!