Lt. Commander
# 1 ATI graphics crash
01-18-2010, 11:39 AM
First off apologies if I should be posting this somewhere else.

I'd love to try this game out a bit more but unfortunately it just crashes every half hour or so. The crash isn't location sensitive in any way,... it just decides at some point to show a black screen or a screen with thin grey and blue lines running down it, music will play for a few seconds longer then it locks up and I have to reset the computer manually.

Only ever had this problem once before with Hired Guns... I can kind of understand that playing up as it was a budget game by some dodgy eastern european developer. I've attached a link to the dxdiag if anyone has any clues about what to try...

Unfortunately I've tried lowering all the grpahics settings as far as I'm willing to go and tried lowering the resoutlion but it makes no difference. I've also installed four different driver versions so I know that updating/ running them back won't help.

looking like I might have to cancel the pre-order unless anyone knows a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance guys.

http://pastebin.com/f6731f483

*edited for spelling*
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Lots of people having the same prople. No respones from the Devs yet.

Right now alot of people think the issue is heat, and for some heat is crashing their systems.

Unfortunately, once they fix their heat issues, game is going to crash from this problem anyway.

Check out my thread about this problem:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=69294
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Kalthios. Checked your post out, although mines not limited to away missions. Pretty sure mine isn't a a heat issue either, I can run Eve for 12 hours straight and I don't get this problem.... and I figure that's gotta be fairly demanding.

Suppose it could be a driver issue but agian, if other games can run reliably why can't this one...

Is this common for Beta's? Any chance this could be fixed for release?

Looking like a fail at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-18-2010, 02:01 PM
Sounds like some of those issues here:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=69765

or

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=67753

you see, i have a problem similar to yours!
But as Kalthios said: no answers from the devs :/
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-18-2010, 03:10 PM
thanks honki,

It's at least a little comforting to know I'm not the only one suffering with this issue. Let's just hope they get it sorted out or this game is goning to fail before it hits the shelf!
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-18-2010, 03:19 PM
I've been running ATI drivers 9.7, 9.9, 9.10, 9.11, 9.12 during Closed and Open beta on my 4870... no problems at all (Windows Vista and now Windows 7).

I would recommend...
  • uninstalling your ATI drivers
  • run the Driver Cleaner util (see Guru3d site), also look/clean for any left over Nvidia drivers if you came from the dark side
  • reinstall latest DirectX Redistribute
  • install latest ATI drivers

You may also want too check on what else you have running that may send a interrupt to your screen (firewall popups, widgets/gadgets, e-mail client open etc). When playing just play the game only, close everything else (expect AV, firewall)

Ohh another good point I just read in another post - try setting the in-game graphics option 'Enable VSYNC' - this would help lower the video output and maybe help those cards overheating.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-18-2010, 03:22 PM
I had less problems with catalyst 9.10, mostly no problems other than flashing on the startup screen on first run.

I decided to give 9.12 a try and I find now that I have more crashing issues but only on ground combat. Haven't had a crash in space yet.

One of the main missions is pretty bad, rescue a researcher, I can't seem to complete it without crashing and having to start from scratch.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Press the green bug button and report it next time you are in the game. If it is aloways a specific mission crahing then it is unlikely to be related to your video card.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks for trying to help grbaker. I'm waiting for a dev response before trying anything like that. Every other program I own has worked fine. For all I know you are making it up, every other ATI user seems to be having crashing problems.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grbaker View Post
Press the green bug button and report it next time you are in the game. If it is aloways a specific mission crahing then it is unlikely to be related to your video card.
It gives a video driver related dialog box error when it gets to desktop.

It has crashed twice for the same reason on different ground stages of that mission, preceded by extreme slow down and stutter.