Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Romulan Gameplay
Login

Survivor of Remus
I understand that the devs wanted to create a more "robust" story that involved more interaction with the bridge crew, but it's REALLY annoying when we choose not to include Tovan in an away team and he pops up anyway as if he was part of the away team ... or WORSE, Tovan's voice comes out of the mouth of another BOff who is on the away team.

This is the PLAYER'S story and not Tovan's story.

If the player doesn't select Tovan then Tovan shouldn't be popping up.
In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."
Captain
# 2
05-22-2013, 01:01 PM
I like Tovan, personally, but I can see why others wouldn't.

Perhaps in a future update we could get to choose from a variety of different characters on Virinat to be our "buddy" boff. That would be cool.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Lieutenant
# 3
05-22-2013, 04:52 PM
I'm not a big fan of Tovan. His dialogue is written so that it seems like he's the one in charge and not the player character.
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
05-22-2013, 05:40 PM
When I first heard of Tovan through the dev.blog I must admit I was kinda' against it. It seemed to me like taking away some of my customization. Therefore I can certainly understand players that don't prefer it this way.

But now, after I played a while as a Romulan I have really grown fond of him. When the blog came out I heard comments like "he's ordering you arround", "he's in charge instead of you", but I'm really not getting that vibe on Holodeck.
Ever since our first encounter at Virinat it's very clear that Tovan and your char. are friends and colleagues, so during the game his comments didn't come out to me as being bossy, but rather like two friends completely confused by what happened in such short amount of time, working together cheering each other and watching each other's backs.
The feeling I got from the story is that my char., a security guard on Virinat finds herself commanding a Republic warbird out of a sudden and she never had command experience before. So her friend is always by her side for boosting morale and supporting her through the tough decisions she has to make while being inexperienced.

I must admit, it hasn't happened to me other Boffs/NPCs to have Tovan's voice.
And Cryptic did provide the possibilty to change his appearence, which was by far the most improtant thing to me, if he's here to stay he's going to have to get rid of that stupid tattoo. And why for Star Trek sake wouldn't I take a purple Boff on an away mission with me, especially at low levels when he's the only purple I can have? So, I'm fine with Tovan.

I completely understand people's desires to have their customization preferences, but I don't feel this is so bad. (as oposed to my former opinion of it)
Show your support for the Revamped Galaxy Class Exploration Cruiser here!
Republic Veteran
# 5
05-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpoks View Post
When I first heard of Tovan through the dev.blog I must admit I was kinda' against it. It seemed to me like taking away some of my customization. Therefore I can certainly understand players that don't prefer it this way.
That's exactly my issue with it. I don't like we're all being forced to take this boff I don't care how good his skills may be. Once I get enough other boffs I'm not using him.
Rihannsu
# 6
05-22-2013, 06:07 PM
I completely agree. We should NOT be forced to have any bridge officer we don't want.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
05-22-2013, 06:13 PM
No one is really forcing you to keep them (expect Tovan for story reasons) and if your really that angry by it, Buy some new BO's, your mains probably have dozens collecting dust anyway
Ensign
# 8
05-22-2013, 06:21 PM
The game has always had the boffs telling you what to do most of the time.
Survivor of Remus
# 9
05-22-2013, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefin1 View Post
No one is really forcing you to keep them (expect Tovan for story reasons)
That's essentially the nature of the problem ... we ARE forced to keep Tovan, and even when you have other BOffs and specifically choose NOT to include him in your away team Tovan shows up anyway!

As the player, LOR is supposed to be MY story but the way the new LOR missions are setup at the moment it is as if I'm playing Tovan's story and not my own.

I don't care about Tovan and I don't want him popping up in my story. Tovan should be OPTIONAL like all the other BOffs.
In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."
Captain
# 10
05-22-2013, 07:26 PM
I'll use Tovan at the beginning, because he's a purple quality BOFF, and it makes sense to use him early on when most of your crew and gear is common quality. However, once I get enough BOFFs of my own to fill my away team, and have a BOFF for each ship slot, Tovan will have his military uniform and equipment taken from him, be discharged from the Imperial fleet, and be given some civilian rags to wear in his new role as the ship's Sanitation Technician.

This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!