Lt. Commander
I downloaded on Stardock's Impulse, which was fast as always. Signed up with this site. Launch Star Trek, get signed in, then it updates the game. When I go to click engage. I get this error "unable to start game client: the system cannot find the file specified" Now if i keep on clicking the launcher, it crashes. I do believe my drivers are all up to date. Also everytime I restart start Star Trek it seems to me it keeps on downloading the same patch... Anyone else go this problem?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Anyone at Cryptic got any ideas? Day two and same problem. Also I do believe my download cut off and just started patching itself? ya...?
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-13-2010, 05:10 PM
usually redownloading same patch is cause by directory pwermission problems if the launcher can not read/write amd create certain files it thinks you have not download the latest version. For vista and win 7 this may be fixed by setting the launcher and game exe to run as admin. (or reinstalling with setting the installer to run as admin)
Lt. Commander
# 4 Additional help needed
01-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegasusMD
usually redownloading same patch is cause by directory pwermission problems if the launcher can not read/write amd create certain files it thinks you have not download the latest version. For vista and win 7 this may be fixed by setting the launcher and game exe to run as admin. (or reinstalling with setting the installer to run as admin)
I am getting this same problem. Also I'm getting this error # 2045462
Please be more specific about how to fix this. I don't see anywhere on the launcher to admin. How do I do this?
Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-13-2010, 10:28 PM
I just reinstalled... but the servers are down right now... I have to wait a bit and see if this works.
Lt. Commander
# 6 I got this but fixed it.
01-16-2010, 11:15 AM
I had to turn off that "Access User Control" stuff that pops up when software tries to make adminstrative changes. It works now!

Likewise you can just right click the star trek online icon and choose "run as administrator" that worked for me too.

-borios
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataClone9000
I am getting this same problem. Also I'm getting this error # 2045462
Please be more specific about how to fix this. I don't see anywhere on the launcher to admin. How do I do this?
Thanks
brows to the game directory on the launcher.exe and in th elive folder the gameclient.exe right click and select prooperties. in the compatibility tab at the bottom you have a check mark box in run as admin.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-18-2010, 04:18 PM
So in order to get the game to run we have to bypass one of the central security features of the modern Windows operating systems? That's sort of shoddy. I hope that this is considered a bug and gets fixed very quickly.

I would caution anyone reading this not to turn off User Access Control unless you know 100% what you are doing. Run As Admin should be okay in the short term as I think we can trust this software, but shutting that whole system down entirely may put your system at risk of being compromised.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-18-2010, 06:59 PM
look at my thread I fixed this problem, I did a verify files in options in the launcher and checked safe mode. booted it up one and now I can boot it up without safe mode every time.