Captain
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,014
# 31
06-05-2013, 09:44 AM
I disagree, while it's fine to store a few items (whatever they may be), in the mail system, stuffing hundreds of doffs in the mail is an EXPLOIT. Not an intended feature.
I'm used to most games having an expiration date on their mails, so while you can have short term storage for stuff, it won't last long, and if you forget (*POOF*) items gone, lol. Since this game doesn't expire mails, limiting the amount of items that can be stored in mails is reasonable, although, I would like to see it MODERATELY increased from the current hundred, to maybe 40/character, or even 50, to prevent an issue, of say, having a bad sales run with all 40 exchange slots, on every character, they all being returned at once, and if you have 3 characters, that would mean 20 items being lost, under the current limit. (More being lost of course, if you have more than 3 characters). Now granted, the chances are unlikely of that happening, but when something is possible, you ARE going to see someone have it happen to them.

butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
Temperance Brennan, "A building"
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,296
# 32
06-05-2013, 09:50 AM
<post deleted>

Lets just say I have plans for the mail system Muahahahaha
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?

Last edited by lordmalak1; 06-05-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Community Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,294
# 33
06-05-2013, 11:05 AM
I support the idea that fleets should have their own "Reserve Roster" that fleet members can draw upon. I'd even be okay with something like the ability to buy fleet bank tabs.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 159
# 34
06-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
With the Mail Attachment Limit now forceably imposed on players, it's long overdue that you guys in the Dev Team, create somekind of DOFF Storage system that does not impose on players.

Like a Starbase Holding Area (tank), where people wouldn't need to stuff their DOFFs in the Mail Attachments, bogging down the mailing server.



Because most players are already at their 400 DOFF limit and they aren't going to waste Thousands of Zen to buy more Character slots with 400 DOFF slots, no sir. Gaurantee they will take advantage of the Free Accounts and create Storage BOTs.

So Dev Team, ball's now in your court. Else you are going to see plenty of dissatisified customers leaving because they can't have fun to earn Fleet Marks, or their Starbase progress stagnates.
Personally, I don't feel that the Mail System should be used as long-term storage for thousands of items. It artificially inflates the EC market when people horde items. I'm glad to see Cryptic making this change. It will help with the rampant EC inflation.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 92
# 35
06-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkietravis View Post
Personally, I don't feel that the Mail System should be used as long-term storage for thousands of items. It artificially inflates the EC market when people horde items. I'm glad to see Cryptic making this change. It will help with the rampant EC inflation.
No it won't.

When I stop and grind white doffs here's what happens: I convert all the useless green doffs I got from asylum and exchange assignments to whites. I also open packs, usually mini-packs bought off the exchange. I then grind down all the green doffs I got from doing that.

I'll donate the applicable doffs to any currently open starbase projects, then store the rest via mail. I'll literally go through hundreds of doffs per instance while doing this. When a starbase project comes up that requires the stored doffs, I retrieve them and donate them.

Now you seem to think this nerf will result in all those excess doffs being dumped onto the exchange. It won't.

Here's why: I go on a binge opening doff packs and grinding down doffs, end up with a few hundred white doffs. Maybe 50-100 go into currently open starbase projects. That leaves like 200+ I have to deal with. The problem with your "brilliant" theory about how this nerf will magically make the exchange prices more to your liking is this:
1. I only have 40 exchange slots. 40 < 200+ so I literally can't sell them all.
2. Some of those 40 exchange slots? They're already in use listing things that are actually worth selling.
3. I don't need EC badly enough to make listing white doffs on the exchange worth my time.

So your expected price drop? It's not going to happen. If anything, the price will go up. And, I very much suspect cryptic knows this.

See, here's the thing. Databases are designed to handle huge amounts of data, and some doffs in your mail are just a handful of text strings. It's literally nothing. If doffs in the mail system are causing it to fail, then cryptic's programmers are far, FAR more incompetent than any of us ever imagined. The entire justification behind this nerf is then, most likely, a load of crap.

What they're actually trying to accomplish with this nerf is to get people to spend more money. They're hoping more people will buy increased doff rosters. Or, that people unable to easily store the excess doffs will dismiss them. Since the excess isn't stored, they'll have to buy more packs, which again means more money for cryptic.

The thing is, their likely real reason is just as wrong as the fake reason they announced (which you were silly enough to believe). What's most likely to actually happen is this: Either people will get fed up dealing with the white doffs post-nerf, and they'll quit opening packs and grinding down doffs, resulting in starbases progress slowing across the board. Or else, the people who were previously using the mail system for doff storage will switch to using multiple accounts for doff storage which means the nerf accomplished nothing.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 159
# 36
06-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbenamage View Post
No it won't.

When I stop and grind white doffs here's what happens: I convert all the useless green doffs I got from asylum and exchange assignments to whites. I also open packs, usually mini-packs bought off the exchange. I then grind down all the green doffs I got from doing that.

I'll donate the applicable doffs to any currently open starbase projects, then store the rest via mail. I'll literally go through hundreds of doffs per instance while doing this. When a starbase project comes up that requires the stored doffs, I retrieve them and donate them.

Now you seem to think this nerf will result in all those excess doffs being dumped onto the exchange. It won't.

Here's why: I go on a binge opening doff packs and grinding down doffs, end up with a few hundred white doffs. Maybe 50-100 go into currently open starbase projects. That leaves like 200+ I have to deal with. The problem with your "brilliant" theory about how this nerf will magically make the exchange prices more to your liking is this:
1. I only have 40 exchange slots. 40 < 200+ so I literally can't sell them all.
2. Some of those 40 exchange slots? They're already in use listing things that are actually worth selling.
3. I don't need EC badly enough to make listing white doffs on the exchange worth my time.

So your expected price drop? It's not going to happen. If anything, the price will go up. And, I very much suspect cryptic knows this.

See, here's the thing. Databases are designed to handle huge amounts of data, and some doffs in your mail are just a handful of text strings. It's literally nothing. If doffs in the mail system are causing it to fail, then cryptic's programmers are far, FAR more incompetent than any of us ever imagined. The entire justification behind this nerf is then, most likely, a load of crap.

What they're actually trying to accomplish with this nerf is to get people to spend more money. They're hoping more people will buy increased doff rosters. Or, that people unable to easily store the excess doffs will dismiss them. Since the excess isn't stored, they'll have to buy more packs, which again means more money for cryptic.

The thing is, their likely real reason is just as wrong as the fake reason they announced (which you were silly enough to believe). What's most likely to actually happen is this: Either people will get fed up dealing with the white doffs post-nerf, and they'll quit opening packs and grinding down doffs, resulting in starbases progress slowing across the board. Or else, the people who were previously using the mail system for doff storage will switch to using multiple accounts for doff storage which means the nerf accomplished nothing.
So, in summary, the Devs broke the way you were manipulating the system, and now you're upset about it. Excuse me if I don't feel sorry for you.
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,652
# 37
06-05-2013, 11:57 AM
doff roster expansion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by redz4tw View Post
can you say attack pattern angry forumers 3?
Lieutenant
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 92
# 38
06-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkietravis View Post
So, in summary, the Devs broke the way you were manipulating the system, and now you're upset about it. Excuse me if I don't feel sorry for you.
No, not at all. Here is a helpful link for you.

I'm not actually upset. It just means I stop grinding for white doffs, which was boring and annoying in the first place. Ultimately it means my fleet gets fewer donations, and less help, but doesn't actually effect me negatively cause I have huge piles of fleet credits already.

The actual summary would be: The reason the devs are giving us is full of crap. What they did won't accomplish anything, and instead spending the time on a pointless nerf they should fix the underlying reason people were manipulating the system in the first place. If the doff system and starbase system worked better, no one would have a reason to want to store hundreds of excess doffs.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 159
# 39
06-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbenamage View Post
No, not at all. Here is a helpful link for you.

I'm not actually upset. It just means I stop grinding for white doffs, which was boring and annoying in the first place. Ultimately it means my fleet gets fewer donations, and less help, but doesn't actually effect me negatively cause I have huge piles of fleet credits already.

The actual summary would be: The reason the devs are giving us is full of crap. What they did won't accomplish anything, and instead spending the time on a pointless nerf they should fix the underlying reason people were manipulating the system in the first place. If the doff system and starbase system worked better, no one would have a reason to want to store hundreds of excess doffs.
Wah, wah, wah! My exploits been fixed! Wah, wah, wah!
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,652
# 40
06-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbenamage View Post
No, not at all. Here is a helpful link for you.

I'm not actually upset. It just means I stop grinding for white doffs, which was boring and annoying in the first place. Ultimately it means my fleet gets fewer donations, and less help, but doesn't actually effect me negatively cause I have huge piles of fleet credits already.

The actual summary would be: The reason the devs are giving us is full of crap. What they did won't accomplish anything, and instead spending the time on a pointless nerf they should fix the underlying reason people were manipulating the system in the first place. If the doff system and starbase system worked better, no one would have a reason to want to store hundreds of excess doffs.
oh gee, going to whatever acadamy every 3 days for 30 seconds was soo difficult...
Quote:
Originally Posted by redz4tw View Post
can you say attack pattern angry forumers 3?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:12 PM.