Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Romulan Gameplay
Login

Captain
The Destiny storyline regarding the Romulan split was incorporated into STO after a fashion. I am kind of curious as to how those events relate to the formation of the Republic. Do Donatra's Imperial State allies support the New Republic? Do they side with Sela despite her being the Proconsul under Tal'aura? How this plays out could make for some very interesting storytelling.

For my part, I built that into my Primary Romulan character. Here is his bio:

Quintus Arrius

Born in the early 2320's, Quintus Arrius comes from a long and proud Romulan noble family that can trace its lineage back into the mists of Vulcan history.

The patriarch for whom the familiy is named, Arrius, vehemently rejected the teachings of Surak and was one of the loudest advocates for the Proto-Romulan people to seek its destiny in the stars during the Sundering. It is rumored that he was one of S'harien's last pupils and managed to save a few of the legendary swords. He was often at odds with S'task during their voyage to Romulus on Rea's Helm.

Quintus Arrius joined the Romulan Imperial Navy along with his comrade Tomalak. Unlike his peers, after achieving the rank of Centurion, he left behind his military service to fill take his father's Senate seat.

During his time in the Senate, Quintus Arrius became close friends with Kimara Creetak as their families often shared common cause. It was even rumored they might have been lovers despite him being junior to her. He supported her bid to join the Continuing Committee before she was discredited and imprisoned. This would leave sour his opinion of the Federation, and of Starfleet Intelligence in particular. Though Prator Neral could never prove it, Quintus Arrius assisted Liviana Charvanek is liberating Creetak from prison. He would later assist Charvanek in her own escape as well.

Quintus Arrius remained netural, but secretly supported Dontara during the strife that caused the Imperial Romulan State to split off as a separate entity.

After the defection of Taris and the defeat of Tal'aura's forces at Xanitla, Quintus Arrius pushed for open peace talks with the Imperial State during a major monologue in the Senate. He lead the delegates to negotiate with Taris, but before any serious discussion began, word of Tal'aura's assassination stymied his efforts. He quietly passed a message to Taris where he floated the idea of food aid to civilians as a way to unify the Empire before Taris left. He would later justify his double dealing as a nessesary evil for reuniting the Empire. Though he distrusted Sela, he kept his objections mute for fear of a political purge while she restored order.

While not publicly acknowledged, many Alpha Quadrent intelligence agencies noted his presence whenever Donatra, Sela, Rehaek, and Chulan were toegether. Quintus Arrius voiced serious reservations when Dontra advocated making Remans full citizens. Despite this, he was the first to vote in favor of the Remans. The first sign of his slipping influence was the rejection of his suggestion that the Remans be relocated to Klorgat IV instead of Crateris. Despite this, he did arrage to transport to Klorgat IV for those who desired it. His influence further eroded when he failed to convince Donatra to support Sela against the Tal Shiar after they accused him and his fellow nobles in the assassination of Tal'aura. After the shocking murder of Rehaek, Quintus Arrius effectively left the Senate despite his supporters reelecting him.

Quintus Arrius was negotiating a trade agreement with the Klingons and Remans on Klorgat IV when news came of the destruction of Romulus by the Hobrus Supernova. Quintus Arrius had recieved word from Donatra about something suspicious going on in the Hobrus System while she was enroute to Craterus, but had brushed it off as nothing since the I.R.W. Valdore would investigate the matter further on the return trip to Romulus. Seeing the resulting chaos and fearing a repeat of earlier events, Quintus Arrius retreated to a quiet little farming colony where his family still held an estate. Little did he realize that events would conspire to force him back into Romulan Politics.

For those of you who may recognize the name, yes I did name him after the character in the book Ben-Hur by General Lew-Wallace. I plan on naming ships after places in that story.
Captain
# 2
05-23-2013, 08:06 AM
I love your creativity. I only have one gripe.

Rihannsu =/= Latin

If anything, it sounds closer to Welsh than Latin.

Cehn'tus tr'Arriehus ... that's ... kinda close.
Lieutenant
# 3
05-23-2013, 10:30 AM
I'm not sure whether former IRS allies would support D'Tan. For one thing, Tal'aura was opposed to Romulan/Vulcan Reunification just as much as Sela is now, something for which D'Tan actively supports and is working towards. Once the IRS was dissolved back into the Star Empire, I would have thought the Tal Shiar would rid it of any potential troublemakers, including Tal'aura's supporters.
Captain
# 4
05-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadama View Post
I'm not sure whether former IRS allies would support D'Tan. For one thing, Tal'aura was opposed to Romulan/Vulcan Reunification just as much as Sela is now, something for which D'Tan actively supports and is working towards. Once the IRS was dissolved back into the Star Empire, I would have thought the Tal Shiar would rid it of any potential troublemakers, including Tal'aura's supporters.
I think you have confused some things. Tal'aura was the Praetor of the Star Empire when Donatra declared the independence of the Imperial State. Sela was Tal'aura's Proconsul while Taris was Donatra's Praetor. From my understanding, IF the Federation or Klingon Empire showed support for one side or the other, it was for Donatra and the Imperial Romulan State, Typhon Pact novels not withstanding.

It would seem that the Tal Shiar simply side with whomever is currently in power. They apparently did not move against Shinzon during his reign. They sided with Tal'aura, but when Donatra and Sela reunited the Empire, the Tal Shiar to no over move against Donatra or her supporters. And if you have accessed a certain video recording, you would know that they are most certainly attempting to play both sides to the middle now (assuming they weren't also doing that during Donatra and Tal'aura's little spat).

While I like how the Tal Shiar is being used, I can guess at their actions and motivations during the RSE/IRS rivalry. It is the motives of the other people during that time that I am curious about. Sela's motivation is rather obvious. I can guess at Colonel Xiomek's motivations (if he still lives). Everyone else is more enigmatic.

My question is this: do the members of the Republic view themselves as the successor government to the RSE, the IRS, both, or neither?
Republic Veteran
# 5
05-23-2013, 06:32 PM
It is implied that the IRS folded back into the RSE well prior to 2409. The Republic is a relatively new and independent organization, that may have support from former IRS worlds and citizens, but is composed primarily of disaffected former citizens of the RSE.
Empire Veteran
# 6
05-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwford View Post
The Destiny storyline regarding the Romulan split was incorporated into STO after a fashion. I am kind of curious as to how those events relate to the formation of the Republic. Do Donatra's Imperial State allies support the New Republic? Do they side with Sela despite her being the Proconsul under Tal'aura? How this plays out could make for some very interesting storytelling.
The Path to 2409, the backstory to STO explains that the Imperial Romulan State and Romulan Star Empire merge back together at some point before the Hobus explosion.

The Lore missions at the academies have all their questions and answers pulled from the Path to 2409. It used to be on this website before the update, I think they removed it as they discovered they had screwed up their own story through bad planning and storytelling.

But you can still find the Path to 2409 on the STO wiki.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Captain
# 7
05-24-2013, 07:55 AM
I am aware that the IRS folded back into the RSE with Donatra retaining power. Yes, I do want to know if the former IRS worlds and personalities support the New Republic or side with Sela and the Tal Shiar.
Captain
# 8
05-24-2013, 11:41 AM
I have links to the Path to 2409, and also the parts of it that relate to Romulans only:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ading=h.gjdgxs

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

I don't think the Donatra thing has any bearing on what happened after Hobus, especially since she disappeared right before it. It is possible that her allies were one of the factions that was fighting for control, but it sounds more like the whole Empire just fell apart until Taris took control.

What's more interesting to me is how the Military and Tal Shiar have become one under Sela's rule. The Path to 2409 is remarkably quiet when it comes to Romulus during Sela's rule. It notes that there is a new era of peace, and then implies that she becomes an autocratic dictator.