Lt. Commander
Ok, I did some thinking and someone said they fixed this problem by doing a complete OS reinstall. And im just not buying that this is what is gonna fix the problem. Its saying that it is missing required files to complete a update or something to me so i am going to try a different method for getting the program. I found the bare bones installation file and the link for it is here:
star_trek_online_setup.exe - 1.82 MB.
I noticed that when I downloaded the beta client from a website offered from one of the file hosters it was a little under 7 GB. And then when the launcher did a patch it patched around 500-700 MB if I remember correctly. So that puts the size after the patch around 7.7 GB. However when I used the bare bones installer and patch all files from Cryptic from start to finish it is giving me a end file size of 10 GB. thats almost a 3 GB difference, and i am thinking thats where some of those missing files are coming from. I dunno if I am going anywhere with this, but I will know by this afternoon if it worked or not. Cross your fingers for me guys.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-18-2010, 01:28 AM
The difference is because the launcher shows the uncompressed size, but most files are stored compressed on disk.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-18-2010, 03:09 AM
Nope did not fix it. I got the files from the source and it still says im missing files. Do you have any suggestions coderanger?

Getting this error btw.

100118 10:08:41 35 MasterControlProgram[1]: Shutting down: C:\src\Core\CrypticLauncher\StartingScreen.c(618)
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-18-2010, 03:42 AM
You know, I'd probably risk doing a reformat and OS installation but I think I'm tired of having to ring Microsoft in India for a key to authenticate it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-18-2010, 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quis
Nope did not fix it. I got the files from the source and it still says im missing files. Do you have any suggestions coderanger?

Getting this error btw.

100118 10:08:41 35 MasterControlProgram[1]: Shutting down: C:\src\Core\CrypticLauncher\StartingScreen.c(618)
Moron please. There are NO missing files. The downloader transfers compressed data, which when processed by the "patcher" (a.k.a. installer) uncompresses them so 7Gb -> 10Gb
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-18-2010, 06:28 AM
Sounds like a compatibility issue, thus an os reinstall might well fix it, more likely, you just need to update some settings, ie dx9, vid card, sound drivers and any one of these can stop the interface from loading. Thats probably why people are saying an os reinstall works.

It might be beneficial if Cryptic could post a list of video cards and sound cards supported and which file versions are current.

It's also likely judging from the error message and description of the problem that you might well need to default the program, ie reinstall.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardoxx View Post
Moron please. There are NO missing files. The downloader transfers compressed data, which when processed by the "patcher" (a.k.a. installer) uncompresses them so 7Gb -> 10Gb
**** you *******
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardoxx View Post
You know people like you really need a attitude adjustment and maybe even some therapy. This guy was asking for help, You know HELP and you call him a Moron.

Tbh people like you make me want to stop using theses forums. I thought *** forums where bad for all the backstabbing/b1tching and Ignorant people and the mods really wanna start kicking some butts off of these forums.

Why don't you try to help people and if you cant offer something constructive then go troll somewhere else.

--------------------

What I do in situations where there just no hope I re-install but I have a Image of my OS and Drivers so doing re-installs is easy and all my kept files are on USB sticks or my Portable HD.

I would consider doing so if you re-install. Get a disc imager like Norton Ghost or similar (Theres a few free ones) Install your OS and drivers and Image the HD. Saves you loads of time in the long run. On average I reinstall every couple of months to keep everything tidy. Btw I use XP x64 pro. Vista X64 and Win 7 X64. All imaged but I only really replace Win 7 now.

Edit. Did you by any chance set the launcher to verify files or can you not even get that far?
Also If its any help. I download the client via a Torrent and it worked perfect for me. If you cant track down the torrent file on here then I can mail it you if you PM me you Email address.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the civil reply Loxanna, I have no problem reinstalling the OS its just a pain doing all the drivers all over again since my OS is located on a separate drive then all the other stuff. Its just that if its another game that im playing causing all this stuff as some people claim it would mean i can only play STO and install any other game at my own risk. I have never kept images of the drivers though, and would like to do that if i can. I never got the chance to get the launcher to verify files as i know of. I load up the launcher put in user and pass. It goes to another page with news and engage button I click engage acts like it is loading up then minimizes and says its missing files and the screen is unresponsive.

EDIT: I upgraded sound, DX, and nvidia driver to beta. Still no help. I think I can find the torrent download, I will try that next i guess before reinstalling OS.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-18-2010, 12:02 PM
If you get to where it says engage. I am sure you can click options and set verify from there or there maybe a way to force. Try mailing to Tech support.