Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
# 11
01-19-2010, 05:36 AM
As i started out testing the BETA i noticed too that without propper skilling and equiptment a solo engineer doesnt stand a chance even in the mission at P'Jem with the diplomate against 2 bird of prey.

As i started over i skilled my new engineer in using weapons and overall energymanagement, that way i was able to survive most of the first encounter without sweat.

Now, that my engineer is lvl7 and i have to travel to the neutral zone i cant stand against 4 klingon battleships and 5 birds of prey as they start shoting when entering a warzone for the mission to clear off three battlezones in the sector.

Most of the time when i played i was rather alone, so there was noone in the sector who i would able to ask for help. If there are more ppl in the area its nice to team up and tear them apart. But without tier 2 ships even that is very hard and not posible without beeing killed serveral times over.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-19-2010, 06:08 AM
I think that's a great post, I started playing the beta on Sunday after a friend from my Neocron clan gave me a link to a CD key give-a-way somewhere. My first impressions of the game were great, the uniforms look awesome, face details, combat system is pretty decent. The first little annoyance for me was docking with Spacedock... this may sound stupid but all I read from the log was 'Click Dock with Spacedock on the lower right part of your screen', except I couldn't see it and being new to the game I didn't really realise I had to move closer.

Anyway I agree with everything you said in that, most combat missions are extremely difficult, I think they need to be nerfed AND they should scale with how many people are in your team, for example:

You're on a patrol mission where you need to destroy an attacking enemy force:
level 1 players - destroy 2 Birds of Prey
level 2 players - destroy 2 Birds of Prey + 1 Cruiser afterwards
level 3 players - Destroy 3 Birds of Prey + 1 Cruiser afterwards

etc etc, when someone joins your team you should add addition enemy fighters to the battle, for example:

2x Level 1 players - destroy 4 Birds of Prey
Level 1 + Level 2 players - Destroy 4 Birds of Prey + 1 Cruiser

you get where I'm going with this
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-19-2010, 06:29 AM
They need to make missions Scalable . Like if your by yourself you are able to solo missions just make it less loot / xp . But if you have more kep increasing the Level of enemys / loot / XP . becaus they way its setup right now its hard to find a group easy and trying to folllow chat because its not one server is just nuts. Also as a new player trying to get around in pretty hard as well.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniortrekkie View Post
I think that's a great post, I started playing the beta on Sunday after a friend from my Neocron clan gave me a link to a CD key give-a-way somewhere. My first impressions of the game were great, the uniforms look awesome, face details, combat system is pretty decent. The first little annoyance for me was docking with Spacedock... this may sound stupid but all I read from the log was 'Click Dock with Spacedock on the lower right part of your screen', except I couldn't see it and being new to the game I didn't really realise I had to move closer.

Anyway I agree with everything you said in that, most combat missions are extremely difficult, I think they need to be nerfed AND they should scale with how many people are in your team, for example:

You're on a patrol mission where you need to destroy an attacking enemy force:
level 1 players - destroy 2 Birds of Prey
level 2 players - destroy 2 Birds of Prey + 1 Cruiser afterwards
level 3 players - Destroy 3 Birds of Prey + 1 Cruiser afterwards

etc etc, when someone joins your team you should add addition enemy fighters to the battle, for example:

2x Level 1 players - destroy 4 Birds of Prey
Level 1 + Level 2 players - Destroy 4 Birds of Prey + 1 Cruiser

you get where I'm going with this
The problem with creating one clump of mobs together is even if they fix the initial alpha strike problem, most newbie players will get decimated by 3+ ships that are greater than Birds of Prey, add in a cruiser or battleship and they'll stand no chance at all, couple that with the standard issue gear is not suitable enough to even really take down a Bird of Prey let alone usually 3 of them, sure veteran testers could do it even though it'll take some effort unless you obviously higher level, but that is not really the point is it?

It would be nice to have some form of extra 'advanced' tutorial missions that will include space combat tactics involving harder ships such as Cruisers, tactics and tips such as rotating shields and firing torpedoes when the shields are down for maximum impact damage, sure there are little tool tips but they don't quite stand out, besides practice is always far better than 'maybe' reading how to do it.

What I think they should do is something along these lines. After all, there has to be some form of learning curve, can't expect newbies to jump straight into the conflict without giving them a fair chance. Some extra missions that will upgrade most components of the ship such as weapons will be extremely beneficial.

'Generic Patrol Mission System XXXX'

Level 2 - 4 'solo'
1 - 3 groups of 3 'weakened Birds of Prey'
1 - 2 'Weakened Raptors' for level 2+
'Possibly 1 'Weakened K't'inga'

Level 2 - 4 // 2 - 3 'Team'
1 - 3 groups of 3 'Birds of Prey'
1 - 3 groups of 2 ' Birds of Prey' and 1 'Raptor' or 'K't'inga'
'Possibly 2 'Birds of Prey' and 1 'Weakened Negh'Var'

Considering that it'll most likely be around level 2 before player will start doing the initial patrol missions. I have noted and submitted bug reports that some of the level 6 patrols have insane level ships, especially the koolhaas patrol mission, having to deal with Lieutenant Commander ranked Negh'Vars that were cloaked around asteroids you had to scan is crazy, newbie players will get smoked!
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Speaking as a player who has soloed this game about 90% of the time and got up to level 11 yesterday, it's doable. But I made sure to buy upgraded equipment very early on. Newbie ships top out at Mark II equipment, so I purchased that from the shop in Spacedock. I then put the majority of my skill points into Space-based skills for both my Captain and her crew.

I agree with Dyrna re: the "Anomoly"-type loot. Even after I found out where I could use the stuff to 'upgrade' my equipment, I ended up not having the right ingredients, and the icons used are so small I can't even tell what I need! This "crafting" system needs a major overhaul. I have a lot of stuff taking up space in my inventory that I can't use and I can't sell.

And given the effort needed to get to these items in space and on the ground, there's no payoff.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-19-2010, 01:12 PM
I don't understand this. You want to be handheld through the beginnings of the game so when you actually level up you'll get completely annihilated by tougher ships and PvP?

It's called learning and adapting. That's the whole point to a game. I'm Lt. 6, and I just finished "Secure Sirius Sector Block" and I've exploded maybe 4 times throughout my whole gameplay experience. The death penalty can't be that bad to warrant gimping the game due to a few explosions. At the very least, leave it at the current level and give Ensign / Lt. 1-5 a pass from death penalty.

The only truly annoying thing is when I rushed in and got annhilated when 3 people on my "Team" were just sitting there but that was my own stupidity / lack of knowledge about the game. Now I always make sure my teammates are with me or else I leave and come back for another instance.

Another thing I had to learn is using the Att / Def energy buttons and shifting power to certain shields. People should be expiermenting with the controls to learn to survive. The ONE thing I think should definitely be added to help this (in addition to the pass from death penalty for newbies) is a tooltip over the buttons to shift power between shields. At first I didn't know what that was because when you're at full shields clicking on it doesn't do anything.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evshell18 View Post
I don't understand this. You want to be handheld through the beginnings of the game so when you actually level up you'll get completely annihilated by tougher ships and PvP?

It's called learning and adapting. That's the whole point to a game. I'm Lt. 6, and I just finished "Secure Sirius Sector Block" and I've exploded maybe 4 times throughout my whole gameplay experience. The death penalty can't be that bad to warrant gimping the game due to a few explosions. At the very least, leave it at the current level and give Ensign / Lt. 1-5 a pass from death penalty.

The only truly annoying thing is when I rushed in and got annhilated when 3 people on my "Team" were just sitting there but that was my own stupidity / lack of knowledge about the game. Now I always make sure my teammates are with me or else I leave and come back for another instance.

Another thing I had to learn is using the Att / Def energy buttons and shifting power to certain shields. People should be expiermenting with the controls to learn to survive. The ONE thing I think should definitely be added to help this (in addition to the pass from death penalty for newbies) is a tooltip over the buttons to shift power between shields. At first I didn't know what that was because when you're at full shields clicking on it doesn't do anything.
Agreed it's all about learning and adapting...people don't remember that posts like "THIS GAME IS TOO HARD FOR TEH NOOBS!!!11!!" is what got the SWG player base awarded with the NGE. -shivers-

I like that I actually have to pay attention and learn different strategies for taking down ships and surviving and when in doubt,LFG.

Lt.Commander lvl 2 and if I can get through it....ANY new player can.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-19-2010, 01:29 PM
I have made it to level 5 (almost 6) on my engineer and have yet to get killed, I have been solo thus far and just the last couple levels had been upgrading a few things Mk2 weapons and armor and minor ship upgrades.

But what made the fights against multiple birds of prey and the warships easier was maxing my shields settings, before I started doing that I was getting knocked around pretty good.
I also use special abilities in space combat quite a bit like the one that gives your photons more damage, and also evasive maneuvers has saved me more then a few times.

While I agree the game should explain somethings better, the level of combat difficulty is good. I personally love a good challenge and would hate to be able to one shot everything without any risk to myself.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-19-2010, 01:37 PM
If you're not a patient person you probably won't like the game at first. But the more you play and the more times you restart a new game the More you'll understand how things work. The more complex a game is the more fun it is IMO
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-19-2010, 01:47 PM
If stuff is taking up inventory space there is a bank, memory alpha will be the real place to craft so hold judgement until you go there and have a play about.

As for being too difficult, I have gone through the whole game solo apart from grouping with a rl friend for 1 patrol and imo it is not too difficult actually about right a game is supposed to be a challenge and if everything gets nerfed because people can't take having to use tactics and their brains then it's no challenge/no fun. That is of course solo and going solo I didn't die once until that battlecruiser that is at the end of a mission that you have to disable and it only took me two times because I thought about what I needed to do.

In a group things got hairy I tried some patrol I think in a group of 4 and it would have 2 neg'var 2 raptor and about 6 BoP's which made us all die about 3 times before we could clear them (wasn't the best teamwork lol). Whereas solo it would be 1 battlecruiser tops which was not easy but was a good challenge having to manuever and switch power around my shields sometimes even take the french route and run away!

Now I know that hoping the game stays at least this difficult is gonna let me down as everything gets nerfed when "people" moan and ***** about it. I'm not saying everything is perfect but it is FAR from being as hard as some people in this thread are saying it is.

That's my opinion on it im entitled to it, just as everyone else it to their own.

edit: Also navigation is easy press M and you have a sector map, galaxy map AND a list of all systems in the sector in alphabetical order, how easy do you want it ?