Career Officer
# 101
06-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lianthelia View Post
Still going on about this? Like I said somewhere else, it makes me laugh because some people don't have the skill to fly slower turning ships so they automatically say the ship sucks.

Just because you can't handle something that doesn't have double digit turning doesn't mean it sucks.
this on all slow turning ships 100x ^^^^^^^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Captain
# 102
06-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Or here is an idea, why not actually take time to learn the ship instead of giving up already?

If I can use DHC with all versions of the D'Deridex, even the level 30 version and still have stuff in my firing arc almost all the time I want it to so can anyone. I am far from the best pilot and have no problems with this ship. Just practice more and spec and equip for manuverability. There is no reason any battle should take 90 min in STO. Even the defense of new romulus pre nerf was easy to solo fast and without dying in a D'Deridex.
Republic Veteran
# 103
06-05-2013, 08:41 PM
I'm enjoying my D'd (retrofit), actually, but then again I'm used to flying big ships. With 3 beams + torp fore and aft I have good coverage, a 6 beam broadside and either a barrage of plasma torps from the front of a Breen transphasic cluster from the aft. Once I get my Romulan rep up I'll be speccing into some of that.
Career Officer
# 104
06-05-2013, 09:09 PM
One thing I have learned to do with the D'D is to be flexible on what I'm targeting. If you are in a situation where you are facing down one ship, cloaking is your answer. If there are multiple ships, then just cycle targets as they come into range, or learn to tank effectively.

I agree with those who have said that just because a player is not adept with slower ships does not mean the ship itself sucks. The D'D is a fine ship in the right hands.
Ensign
# 105
06-06-2013, 06:13 AM
while i agree that the turning rate has been frustrating at times, this ship has actually been fun.

i have had to adjust my playstyle as i am not used to playing that size of ship and even though some battles have been taking longer this hasnt been the nightmare people were warning me of.
Survivor of Romulus
# 106
06-06-2013, 10:35 AM
i wonder..

maybe its playable like the gal-x dreadnought? and by that i mean, excessive use of single canons (for the bigger arc) and turrets and hyt1, rapidfire1 and 1 or 2 torps for a high peak dmg.

i got to try that out.

/edit.

tried it out in SB24, with the regular canons, 1 torp and turrets in the back - its pretty nasty actually, shields drop like instantly, torp hit -> dead. if it doesnt kill it, next wave will. im curious how well it works in STFs and fleet actions, since theres masses of oponents with bigger shields n hull.

Last edited by derbock203; 06-06-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 107
06-06-2013, 04:36 PM
It would be nice if the D'D didn't take a whole freakin' light year to turn around.
Survivor of Remus
# 108
06-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesh View Post
It would be nice if the D'D didn't take a whole freakin' light year to turn around.
um, a lightyear is a measurement of distance not time...
Survivor of Romulus
# 109
06-06-2013, 05:54 PM
and it doesnt have to
Ensign
# 110
06-06-2013, 06:33 PM
I love the D'D! As someone whose primary is a Fed engineer that has flown a lot of cruisers with their abysmal turn rate, the D'D is insanely maneuverable IF YOU USE THE CLOAK. So cloak the damn thing! If you do that, you can have some of the best aspects of a tactical ship and an engineering ship rolled into one, DPS and survivability, without losing maneuverability.

The D'D is generally more geared towards beam boats, but I loaded it with all dual heavy cannons in front, turrets in back, and my engineer BOFFs setup in an aux to battery fashion. Threw in cannon scatter volleys and rapid fires, and the DPS is insane. The setup was fairly cheap, so I had more than enough EC built up from selling mission drops. Cloak, get behind the enemy, uncloak, activate BOFF powers and watch the enemy melt. I was getting extremely high DPS considering my low level weapons, and was successfully tanking borg in sector invasions while dishing out more damage than many of my level 50 Fed and Klink counterparts.

I agree that it is different than the previous level Romulan ships, and it's not going to work out of the box with your previous setup. This might be bad for new players, but for someone with experience with different ship types and builds from other characters, the D'D can be a monumental force to contend with if setup right.