Ensign
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2
# 1 Box reward announcements
05-25-2013, 06:07 PM
Ok so I have been playing now for almost a month and the most annoying and recurring issue I have right now is the box reward texts. Is there no way at all to disable this!?

I'm at my wits end while doing my missions, reading NPC chats and such and I have to see that Capt Shmoe has won something. What in the heck is the reason for this, it serves me not one ounce of good let alone care so why is this there.

Now if this has been brought up before, which I'm sure it has forgive this but I had no particular thought on what someone may have titled their complaint on this to read a previous thread.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7
# 2
05-25-2013, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by numenra View Post
Ok so I have been playing now for almost a month and the most annoying and recurring issue I have right now is the box reward texts. Is there no way at all to disable this!?

I'm at my wits end while doing my missions, reading NPC chats and such and I have to see that Capt Shmoe has won something. What in the heck is the reason for this, it serves me not one ounce of good let alone care so why is this there.

Now if this has been brought up before, which I'm sure it has forgive this but I had no particular thought on what someone may have titled their complaint on this to read a previous thread.
You can disable it by going into the notification settings

Under the Fly By section
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 971
# 3
05-25-2013, 07:54 PM
There's a drop-down arrow on the lower right of your Minimap (where you go to, say, visit your ship's bridge). That's where the Notification Settings menu is.

As Zatharus said, just disable Fly By and it'll stop.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,223
# 4
05-25-2013, 08:54 PM
The problem is that also cans things like being told "The server will be taken down for maintenance in 15 minutes".

Of course, Cryptic knows this and is in no hurry to change it, since lockbox advertising is good for business.
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 424
# 5
05-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurutafan01 View Post
The problem is that also cans things like being told "The server will be taken down for maintenance in 15 minutes".

Of course, Cryptic knows this and is in no hurry to change it, since lockbox advertising is good for business.
Of course, that may also be why the Admin announcement is separate from the Gameplay announcement setting.
Career Officer
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,599
# 6
05-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thratch1 View Post
There's a drop-down arrow on the lower right of your Minimap (where you go to, say, visit your ship's bridge). That's where the Notification Settings menu is.

As Zatharus said, just disable Fly By and it'll stop.
That's great. But I still think the game shouldn't announce "Average Joe has been awarded a Galor-cruiser".

When I got my Temporal Science Vessel, the first thing that happened?

I was literally inundated with PMs saying "Hey, want to trade/sell that to me?"
Iconian? A label created by the Dewans to give voice to their destruction.
In the end, what they chose to call us is irrelevant.
We simply... are.

Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,660
# 7
05-25-2013, 09:42 PM
Neverwinter has the same problem, but they changed it so that only the character's name is displayed and not the full name. Guess they don't have the problem of people getting messages that say Can I buy your lockbox mount for a fifth of what it is worth and other bargaining that people won't go for. Had too many of those types of message when I lucked out and got 2 D'Koras in a minute.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 236
# 8
05-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zatharus2 View Post
You can disable it by going into the notification settings

Under the Fly By section

And if you are like me, and you don't really care what ship someone luckier than me just got, you can uncheck the chat button too, and not even see them there.

Jolan'tru
______________________________________________
GalanVaurek joined August 2008
http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq86/alucard1971/STO%20HD/Galan_Signature_zps20082895.png
Stonewall Fleet
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 883
# 9
05-25-2013, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurutafan01 View Post
The problem is that also cans things like being told "The server will be taken down for maintenance in 15 minutes".

Of course, Cryptic knows this and is in no hurry to change it, since lockbox advertising is good for business.
In all fairness. The pink text in the chat window is hard to ignore. So even if the fly-by is disabled, you can still get fair warning.

By contrast, the "Average Joe is more awesome than you" text is the same as general gameplay and is therefore easily lost among the "Enemy shields are offline" messages.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,223
# 10
05-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Yeah honestly after a while I don't even see it. It's only really bad the first few days of a lockbox. I remember logging on the first day of the Dominion box and there was a message literally every 5 seconds for about the first hour, it was nuts. But generally you just don't notice that much after a while.

Like commercials on TV. You are aware of them but not really there.
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:48 AM.