Lt. Commander
Hello,

I play the game on a laptop, which is hooked up to a larger 22inch tft screen. I can use this second 22inch screen with Star Trek in both windowed and maximized windowed mode.
Is there however a way to use the 2nd screen with the game in fullscreen mode?

Currently, no matter where the windowed version of the game is, the game goes to fullscreen only on the smaller laptop display.
I'd rather not set the secondary display as the primary,as that would be quite cumbersome during the day when I use it at work/on the train.

Thanks in advance!
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-19-2010, 11:41 AM
you need to switch the display to the monitor only
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Hello,

I play the game on a laptop, which is hooked up to a larger 22inch tft screen. I can use this second 22inch screen with Star Trek in both windowed and maximized windowed mode.
Is there however a way to use the 2nd screen with the game in fullscreen mode?

Currently, no matter where the windowed version of the game is, the game goes to fullscreen only on the smaller laptop display.
I'd rather not set the secondary display as the primary,as that would be quite cumbersome during the day when I use it at work/on the train.

Thanks in advance!
You have some options here.

The easiest, though, and most direct, is to manually tell the STO client to always use a specific monitor.
  1. Exit completely out of STO and/or the launcher.
  2. Browse to the location where you installed STO. The default location is in your Program Files folder, or Program Files (x86) for 64-bit versions of Windows. You'll need to go here and even further into the Live and then Localdata folders.

%PROGRAMFILES%\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\Localdata
  3. Open the only file here, Gameprefs.Pref with a text editor such as Notepad.
  4. Edit the line: "PrefEntry GfxSettings.MonitorIndex 0" and change the number there to the display number of your preferred gaming monitor. Typically device 0 is your primary windows monitor (by default), but technically speaking, it's the first monitor attached to the first video device on a PC (first video port on your first video card). You can also see this number by clicking on "Identify displays" or similar option when changing the settings/layout of your display devices in Windows. This will give you numbers like 1, 2, 3, etc. Just subtract 1 from that to get your display ID so that display 1 is really display 0, display 2 is really display 1, etc.
  5. Save the text file and launch STO.

That should set STO to run on that second monitor of yours regardless of full-screen or windowed mode.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-19-2010, 12:51 PM
You, Sir, are my new hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post

The easiest, though, and most direct, is to manually tell the STO client to always use a specific monitor.
  2. Browse to the location where you installed STO. The default location is in your Program Files folder, or Program Files (x86) for 64-bit versions of Windows. You'll need to go here and even further into the Live and then Localdata folders.

4. Edit the line:: "PrefEntry GfxSettings.MonitorIndex 0" and change the number there to the display number of your preferred gaming monitor. Typically device 0 is your primary windows monitor (by default), but technically speaking, it's the first monitor attached to the first video device on a PC (first video port on your first video card).

That should set STO to run on that second monitor of yours regardless of full-screen or windowed mode.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
You, Sir, are my new hero!
Cool. I edited that post since you read it to better help you identify your display IDs.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Quote:

4. Edit the line: "PrefEntry GfxSettings.MonitorIndex 0" and change the number there to the display number of your preferred gaming monitor. Typically device 0 is your primary windows monitor (by default), but technically speaking, it's the first monitor attached to the first video device on a PC (first video port on your first video card). You can also see this number by clicking on "Identify displays" or similar option when changing the settings/layout of your display devices in Windows. This will give you numbers like 1, 2, 3, etc. Just subtract 1 from that to get your display ID so that display 1 is really display 0, display 2 is really display 1, etc.

for those curious about it there is an easier way

in the graphics options under the advanced options troubleshooting section (click the word troubleshooting to see the options) there is an option "video card" which actually translates more into "which monitor do you want to use" it is default to auto, you can switch it to the monitor of your choice though. no file editing needed.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotmagnet
for those curious about it there is an easier way

in the graphics options under the advanced options troubleshooting section (click the word troubleshooting to see the options) there is an option "video card" which actually translates more into "which monitor do you want to use" it is default to auto, you can switch it to the monitor of your choice though. no file editing needed.
Nice, thanks. I didn't know they hid that option there.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Nice, thanks. I didn't know they hid that option there.
yup they have several options hidden in that troubleshooting section, you can't see them until you click on the troubleshooting header lol >.> otherwise cryptic has them cloaked
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotmagnet
yup they have several options hidden in that troubleshooting section, you can't see them until you click on the troubleshooting header lol >.> otherwise cryptic has them cloaked
I knew I smelled Klingons at work in the graphic options!!
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Thanks, this worked great for me, if only the mouse could go from one screen to the other , while staying in fullscreen,, I get choppy performance in any other mode, and would really like to be able to move my mouse over to my other monitor to perform my regular windows tasks while playing