Lt. Commander
# 1 Beta install and Steam
01-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Just pre-ordered the game on Steam, the Deluxe edition. I have already been playing the beta for a couple of days (the reason for my purchase ) and I intend to keep playing, but I was wondering what the best course of action is:
- Remove my current beta install immediately and download the beta again from Steam.
- Remove my current beta install after the 26th and install it on Steam for the head start.
- Other ...
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Its up to you, you could also just get the CD key from Steam (right click on STO->Manage Game Account) and keep using your beta client.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Steam trick: Install a game, then pause the download immediately. Copy your existing game folder over the steam directory for the game (usually Steam/steamapps/common/gamename/, then right click the game, go to Properties, and select Verify integrity of the game cache.

this works for copying installations between Steam installs as well.

Or you could just do what coderanger suggested and use the "Add Thirty Party Game" functionality in steam so you get the Steam overlay
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Given the dynamic nature of our files, I'm not so sure thats a good idea. The ones you have will be newer than the Steam copy, and it might choose to blow them away.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Hmm good point.

it works for most games though
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-19-2010, 10:19 AM
On a related note, will the beta client in Steam simply be renamed to no longer reflect "beta" after launch, or will you have to download a new client?
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-19-2010, 10:20 AM
what coderanger said

the only reason i could see switching to steam is if you wish to use their overlay to chat with friends.

i would say steam autoupdates for you, but in the case of this game you still have a seperate patcher so that isn't even true.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logikal78
On a related note, will the beta client in Steam simply be renamed to no longer reflect "beta" after launch, or will you have to download a new client?
I'm honestly not sure, but I would trust that Valve is smart enough to have thought of that :-)
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logikal78
If it works the same way as demos do, installing the demo (or in this case the beta) pre-installs the full game. So I would assume they would do it the same way, create a second instance of the Game that is non-beta, but uses the same files, the way they do with game demos and full retail games.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
Its up to you, you could also just get the CD key from Steam (right click on STO->Manage Game Account) and keep using your beta client.
Oh great, I'll just do that then. Much easier. Thanks for the quick answer!