Lt. Commander
Thinkin about Star Trek and all its glorious technologies, I was wondering why have a room for transporters?

I could understand a transporter pad for cargo, maybe even for dignified quest. However there seems to be no need for a transporter pad per say. People are constantly transported from the surface of a planet or another ship directly to sick bay. One could also arrange site to site transport.

The inner workings of the transporter could simply be stored behind a wall, or several walls freeing up space, since the bulk of the transporter room, the pad and controls, are not necessary.

Does any one have any insight to why there are several transport rooms on star ships when apparently they are not required for transport?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-29-2013, 01:27 PM
The most likely answer is that transporter pads and rooms have certain functions that aren't possible with simple site-to-site transports. For instance, they can use forcefields to contain hazardous materials or dangerous individuals - we've seen this in several episodes. Memory Alpha also states that transporter pads have four redundant molecular imaging scanners to prevent data loss, something that probably isn't the case with a basic transporter unit.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but it's possible that transporter pads are required to deactivate phaser and disruptor weapons during transport. This was done in a couple of episodes, but I can't recall if the pads were used or not.
Career Officer
# 3
05-29-2013, 01:43 PM
Site to site is all well and good but you have to keep the machine somewhere. It may also be that the transporters are better at sorting mixed and degraded signals as we always see those going to a transporter pad rather than site to site.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neriz --- Eleven --- S'alesh --- Nizalay and maybe the odd Fed char too.
Defecting from the Federation to the Romulans from May 21st
Rihannsu
# 4
05-29-2013, 04:29 PM
Well, AFAIK site-to-site transport is basically telling the transporter to beam the person or object twice in rapid succession. The first time it moves them to the pad, the second time it moves them off the pad to their final destination.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
05-29-2013, 06:10 PM
In TOS, there was no site-to-site, one end had to be on the pad (though I do believe they broke this once or twice, it was the official rule). Site-to-site is one of those things like casual time travel and deflector dish superpowers that the writers created but never fully considered the ramifications of. The tech manuals were vague on it, too. There were supposed to be benefits to having one end of the transport being a known, controlled location, but no disadvantages of not doing so were ever offered.
Commander
# 6
05-29-2013, 07:02 PM
Holdover from the early days when transporters were much more finicky beasties. They want you right there in front of the targeting scanners and other equipment, for maximum safety and reliability. (And sometimes so that the operator, who gets a lot more long-term exposure, has a nice rad-shield to stand behind.) As time went on and transporters got more advanced, transporter rooms were kept out of a combination of tradition and for those times when you really need that extra precision.

As hevach notes, and most of you youngsters may not know, but site-to-site transport, beaming directly to sickbay, etc was only introduced in TNG. This was an amazing new capability, 25 years ago. :p
Captain
# 7
05-29-2013, 07:51 PM
Now if only they'd fix this one little quirk with skirts... they're the first to beam out, but the last to beam in...
Lieutenant
# 8
05-29-2013, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnehart View Post
Now if only they'd fix this one little quirk with skirts... they're the first to beam out, but the last to beam in...
Working as designed...
Career Officer
# 9
05-29-2013, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfmudd View Post
Holdover from the early days when transporters were much more finicky beasties. They want you right there in front of the targeting scanners and other equipment, for maximum safety and reliability. (And sometimes so that the operator, who gets a lot more long-term exposure, has a nice rad-shield to stand behind.) As time went on and transporters got more advanced, transporter rooms were kept out of a combination of tradition and for those times when you really need that extra precision.

As hevach notes, and most of you youngsters may not know, but site-to-site transport, beaming directly to sickbay, etc was only introduced in TNG. This was an amazing new capability, 25 years ago. :p
Also it makes a handy assembly point for the away team leader to go over final equipment checks and planning with his team who would be coming from all over the ship.

"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Ensign
# 10
05-30-2013, 08:20 AM
The one of the pads main jobs is for scanning and decon. which site to site does not do.