Career Officer
# 11
05-31-2013, 09:38 AM
For tanking/dps in any cruiser it's almost become a must to have 2 Aux2batt with 3 purple tech doffs. Ditch the AuxSiF3 bc it interferes with the Aux2batt. I know it's hard bc it's the best heal/resist in the game but it's necessary on this type of build. Supplement that loss of AUX2SIF with TT, APD1, It'll give you added resist while lowering your opponents resist. Get the Tachyokinetic console bc it adds to crit chance while giving a boost to turn.
Starfleet Veteran
# 12
05-31-2013, 10:04 AM
This is my current Galaxy set-up. I know I'm going to catch a lot of "why"s for putting nine points into Driver Coil, but aside from that, it works very well for endgame PvE. I've clocked it at 6,500 DPS over an entire ISE, and 8,150 against the Tactical Cube at the beginning of KASE. I did hit 13,921.57 once, but that was with a couple of Fire On My Marks. I'm going to be replacing the Advanced Fleet Plasmas with Romulan Plasmas once I get to the appropriate tier.

Even if you don't follow this build exactly, use Plasma. Embassy consoles are the only thing that make up for your lack of Tactical slots, so take advantage of it. Three XI [+Th] [Pla]s are roughly equivalent to another blue XI Plasma Infuser. You'll also get a double bonus of sorts from using [+Th] [Pla] Particle Generators, as Particle Generators and the +9% Plasma Damage (per console) both buff your damage from Eject Warp Plasma.

NOTE: The warp core has [S->E] and [SSS] modifiers that aren't visible because STO Academy doesn't support them yet.

Last edited by starboardnacelle; 05-31-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 13
05-31-2013, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingwarbird View Post
Both of you disgust me how your like "ditch the ship"... Gee, I hate Cryptic for underpowering one of the most iconic ships in the game.

But thanks for the advice
Heh...at no point did I personally tell you to ditch the ship, I said that's the very first thing most people will tell you to do because the hatred for the Galaxy class is well-known in STO. Fly whatever ship you want to, it doesn't matter to me.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-31-2013, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starboardnacelle View Post
This is my current Galaxy set-up. I know I'm going to catch a lot of "why"s for putting nine points into Driver Coil, but aside from that, it works very well for endgame PvE. I've clocked it at 6,500 DPS over an entire ISE, and 8,150 against the Tactical Cube at the beginning of KASE. I did hit 13,921.57 once, but that was with a couple of Fire On My Marks. I'm going to be replacing the Advanced Fleet Plasmas with Romulan Plasmas once I get to the appropriate tier.

Even if you don't follow this build exactly, use Plasma. Embassy consoles are the only thing that make up for your lack of Tactical slots, so take advantage of it. Three XI [+Th] [Pla]s are roughly equivalent to another blue XI Plasma Infuser. You'll also get a double bonus of sorts from using [+Th] [Pla] Particle Generators, as Particle Generators and the +9% Plasma Damage (per console) both buff your damage from Eject Warp Plasma.

NOTE: The warp core has [S->E] and [SSS] modifiers that aren't visible because STO Academy doesn't support them yet.
You are aware that most shields have an built 20% resistance to plasma at top level, both Maco and Omega does, doesn't that decimate damage numbers further?
Starfleet Veteran
# 15
05-31-2013, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingwarbird View Post
You are aware that most shields have an built 20% resistance to plasma at top level, both Maco and Omega does, doesn't that decimate damage numbers further?
You never specified whether or not you were looking for a PvE or PvP build in the original post. As for PvP performance, I'd need someone to 1v1 me and test it. There's no question that Plasma is the way to go for PvE, as it's the only energy weapon type whose base damage you can buff to acceptable levels.

Last edited by starboardnacelle; 05-31-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Ensign
# 16
05-31-2013, 02:21 PM
I left the game right after the Fleet vehicles were introduced. I have to say, I was abundantly disappointed. The Odyssey seems to have been the last honest effort to make the cruiser class relevant in combat (as tanking can actually be done by a Defiant and there was no such thing as a PvE experience that required a true "tank").

The prospect of a Fleet Galaxy was both redundant and underwhelming by comparison to its peers.

Some time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I saw news of a falsified promise from Cryptic citing a Galaxy-X retrofit, featuring saucer separation as well as enhanced mechanics and versatility for its lance and mobility, perhaps even enough to dawn the ship into the game's new generation.

Naturally, it's been almost a year since I last visited these forums, and this has not happened... just as it's been 2 years of Cryptic glorifying their own efforts to "enhance" the PvP experience, and to date I've yet to see proof of their words ringing true.

But, that is all a story for another thread...

...On topic, I am in the unfortunate (and almost hypocritical) position of telling you what so many have told me with my Dreadnought:

It is futile. You're taking something that was designed to fail, and trying to win with it.

While I've no doubt you can do well and design a build for the ship just as I had with the Dreadnought... I in fact encourage it... I believe the days of innovation for STO are ended. I do not believe there will be any more PSTAC Assaults, Hakaishin Dreadnoughts, Armitage ROFLTORPZ, etc etc.
Captain
# 17
05-31-2013, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanesenator View Post
I like how some the advice is basically "well, spend like $75 on new consoles, then completely change the gear you already have."
I'm still waiting for you to tell me what those $75 worth of consoles are.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Starfleet Veteran
# 18
06-03-2013, 08:12 AM
Re: Amarante build's PvP performance

I took my Galaxy into Ker'rat with a team of four Engineers and a Science Captain, outnumbered two to one by Klingons. Two of us were flying Galaxy-class ships. We didn't die once, and I got a fairly substantial number of kills, despite using Plasma weapons.

Still, this isn't a 1v1 test, so take it with a grain of salt.
Captain
# 19
06-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starboardnacelle View Post
Re: Amarante build's PvP performance

I took my Galaxy into Ker'rat with a team of four Engineers and a Science Captain, outnumbered two to one by Klingons. Two of us were flying Galaxy-class ships. We didn't die once, and I got a fairly substantial number of kills, despite using Plasma weapons.

Still, this isn't a 1v1 test, so take it with a grain of salt.
I was there - in my own Fleet Galaxy, nonetheless *highfive*

Warbird: If you need a PvP build, there is one in my forum signature below. The more offensive build is at the bottom of the post. I can clarify this setup if you need.

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Email me for a Pro-Galaxy sig!
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
Foundry: A new series coming soon! | PvP: PvP Boot Camp, Notebook Project Almost Done!
Survivor of Romulus
# 20
06-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Explain to me where the $75 in gear is please.
Wide-Angle quantum torpedo launcher, regent refit = $25

tachyokinetic converter =200 lobi, even at 5 Lobi per box, thats 40 boxes @ $1.25/key = $50
or, at $1,500,000 million per key; $60,000,000 credits.

...But then I noticed he already has the Tachyokinetic, and the rest of the universal consoles. My mistake.