Lt. Commander
Just want to post this solution without the annoying question.

When I first started this game, I got giant triangles of color flitting across my screen--and not much else. "Update the old drivers," I thought, and congratulated myself for summoning forth the most obvious possible solution.
Nope. After hunting up and installing the latest, somewhat genericized 'legacy' driver for my card from the AMD website, I started the game to be greeted by the same colorful, now, somehow menacingly so, triangles. Tech support might or might not be useful to me--my ticket's been in since Sunday night and I haven't heard back. Let me state that there are no recriminations for this. It's a beta, nothing but problems for these guys and I'm getting way more than I paid for here!
Getting back to my pointlessly long narrative, I could sense the game working in the background--little glimpses of a head here, a wall there (this, despite the fact that I'm running on a single-core [you heard me] Dell Dimension 8400 3.4ghz with 2.5 whopping gigs of RAM and XP Home). So graphics, alone, still seemed my issue.
Really long story shortened by two minutes, I tried another in-between driver and hey, presto! It works.

For the X1650 (and no other ATI or other card--I can only speak to what I know) Catalyst BAD. As for the drivers:

OLD:
6.12 doesn't work

NEWEST (GENERIC):
9.11 doesn't work

IN-BETWEEN (KIND OF RANDOM):
7.1 - WORKS ! ! !

Game's hardware requirements seem overstated, at least for the Beta. My gameplay is smooth and fine. I'm running graphics settings on the low end in the game--mostly, I'm tired of tweaking and troubleshooting. I just wanna play! But you see what you can do with your X1650.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-20-2010, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaulan
Just want to post this solution without the annoying question.

When I first started this game, I got giant triangles of color flitting across my screen--and not much else. "Update the old drivers," I thought, and congratulated myself for summoning forth the most obvious possible solution.
Nope. After hunting up and installing the latest, somewhat genericized 'legacy' driver for my card from the AMD website, I started the game to be greeted by the same colorful, now, somehow menacingly so, triangles. Tech support might or might not be useful to me--my ticket's been in since Sunday night and I haven't heard back. Let me state that there are no recriminations for this. It's a beta, nothing but problems for these guys and I'm getting way more than I paid for here!
Getting back to my pointlessly long narrative, I could sense the game working in the background--little glimpses of a head here, a wall there (this, despite the fact that I'm running on a single-core [you heard me] Dell Dimension 8400 3.4ghz with 2.5 whopping gigs of RAM and XP Home). So graphics, alone, still seemed my issue.
Really long story shortened by two minutes, I tried another in-between driver and hey, presto! It works.

For the X1650 (and no other ATI or other card--I can only speak to what I know) Catalyst BAD. As for the drivers:

OLD:
6.12 doesn't work

NEWEST (GENERIC):
9.11 doesn't work

IN-BETWEEN (KIND OF RANDOM):
7.1 - WORKS ! ! !

Game's hardware requirements seem overstated, at least for the Beta. My gameplay is smooth and fine. I'm running graphics settings on the low end in the game--mostly, I'm tired of tweaking and troubleshooting. I just wanna play! But you see what you can do with your X1650.

I've had mixed experiences with my drivers... On my old x800 pro I found that the best working drivers for me were the 6.11's. Its funny, but nothing ever performed better than those old drivers on my older card...