Career Officer
# 121
06-01-2013, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypl View Post
Eh, I'll stick with Steam, thanks. I want to keep Perfect World junk off my computer as much as possible.
Not trying to be snarky, but why do you have STO installed if your don't want PWE junk installed? :p
The jar kitty watches you.
Captain
# 122
06-01-2013, 01:35 AM
I prefer to have all of my games on one single platform. I don't want a special platform for every couple of games I own. And I dont' see a single advantage it has over steam.
Ensign
# 123
06-01-2013, 01:50 AM
The way I see it, someone has grown out oftheir shoes and thinks they can take flight,... Make some more money.

Not gonna happen with this player base.

ARC is alittle too late.

For it to succeed it needs to offer MORE not less than STEAM.
Granted people have had problems with STEAM also, but compared to other such platforms, STEAM remains a go to, success, while others fail.

The ONLY thing that makes me use STEAM with STO is the fact I can use my PayPal conveniently with STEAM wallet to purchase ZEN. Thats it.
And if for some reason I feel boored of STO grind, I can always play my other games in STEAM.

STEAM is successfull because all of that and the fact that acheivements get you some cool ingame items in other games. It connects them.
And there are a LOT of promotions weekly, and even daily. Realy good deals mind you. Deals you cant get anywhere else. This is BIG.

BIG deals for a modest pocket change.

ARC if you cant beat that, my advice is to not even try.
Ensign
# 124 Pass - Big Time...
06-01-2013, 01:59 AM
So far, PWE and Cryptic have been saving me money lately. I have spent more than a small amount on the game - Vesta 3-pak, Intrepid retrofit, keys, dil, and so forth. However, every time I am ready to pull the trigger on the lifetime sub, stuff happens - server issues, login issues, and on and on and on... If (actually when) this becomes mandatory, I am gone for good. Period. The End...

And this is from a hardcore science, science fiction, and Star Trek (above all else) fan.

Cheers
Rihannsu
# 125
06-01-2013, 02:00 AM
I dont use Steam myself, so ARC seems to fit me perfectly (i have only tested on Neverwinter) but I can easily access the forums, zen buying etc)

i did not have to reinstall the games or anything and i can now go through the launcher or arc will take me directly through the launcher itself. so at the moment very pleased.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Survivor of Remus
# 126
06-01-2013, 02:01 AM
My PC gaming experience is 100 percent married to STEAM.

When EA went to their stupid Origin platform and made Origin a requirement for playing new PC games from EA there was one result in my household ... we stopped playing EA games on the PC.

I love STO and want to keep playing, but if anyone at Cryptic or PWE decides that ARC is a requirement and that players cannot continue to launch the game via STEAM ... well, I'll just have to stop playing this game, and stop spending hundreds of dollars every month on STO.
In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."
Captain
# 127
06-01-2013, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Arc brings together the best online gaming experiences from Perfect World Entertainment onto one easy-to-use platform.

Learn more about Arc here.

I'll look into it, are you able to get stuff from the zen store there?
Career Officer
# 128
06-01-2013, 02:25 AM
Would never install it. Heck I don't even use Steam. I've bought games and found that they require Steam and never played them. I consider these types of programs as Spyware and a resource hog, I've banned CrypticError from access to the internet. I don't play another PWE game and never will, and as for Cryptic games from my experience of STO, not going to happen.

Benefits from Arc are laughable. News not interested. Billing don't buy Zen any more, blame Cryptic. Browser I've got 3 installed and a tablet, and why would I want to browse when playing a game? Support that's just funny. Connect not interested, I'm not a stalker. Notifications just for ads I bet. Coupons I bet nothing I will want, unless it includes a working bug free game!
Career Officer
# 129
06-01-2013, 02:31 AM
i'm using Steam ...i'm not opposed to new software, but i do not see a need for this... what is the incentive for ME?

does this include a Pidgin / XMPP chat so i can chat outside the game in the in-game channels, without the need to setup an odd 3rd party XMPP Software first?

does this thing include a browser with all the bookmarks to STO related fan-sites (Wiki, Podcasts, News Sites... i doubt my DOffTrekker is supported by it lol *points at signature*? so i need my Browser open anyway)

does it at least update the games? [because STEAM never does]

does it tell me what servers are Online before i load the launcher?

*shrug*
Empire Veteran
# 130
06-01-2013, 03:34 AM