Lieutenant
# 191
06-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Steam, Arc... I'm not interested in bloatware.
Lt. Commander
# 192
06-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarmstorm View Post
What's the purpouse of that item, to permit chat when all the games are offline due critical server error?
Instead of loose time with useless thing,that no one want, FIX that damned game!!!!!!
Yeah rarmstorm, I hear ya. I'm presently sitting here on the forum because STO has completely crashed, yet again. Arc seems to be a pointless effort when bugs and crashes remain. It's kinda like offering us a second taxi company when we can't get to our destination because the bridge is washed out and the money/effort to fix the bridge went into the new taxis; not much help, really.
Career Officer
# 193
06-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyresofbsgo View Post
LISTEN

25 Locks, for the same door, using the same kwy.. IS WAY more secure then one lock for those same door, using the same key.

why?

because... it TAKES TIME TO OPEN THE 24 EXTRA LOCKS, even if they knew it waas the same key, and if they DIDN"T know it was the same key (does 100% of the world know that PWE, is this way or only those that already have accounts? hmm... HHHMMMM......????

Thanks for showing you have no idea how this stuff works. In order for someone to delete your characters, sell your stuff.. etc.. they need to log into the game...

You know what they need to do to do that with ARC?

There is no difference in the time it takes to log into STO, Neverwinter, CO, etc... by clicking their individual launchers off your desktop, and launching them via ARC (at the moment, ARC is actually a bit slower).

ARC is no more, or less secure then having individual launchers for the games.. it's simply more convenient, and provides a single stop for game related updates/news/etc.. with the additional benefit (for some) of being able to do things like access the game forums while you're in game.. without having to alt-tab or minimize out of game.

@enterprise1701ax: Cryptic didn't code ARC, as has been said multiple times, so the Development time for ARC did not take away from STO.
Empire Veteran
# 194
06-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdamnheroes69 View Post
I've snipped most of the baseless rant for simplification.

Thanks for showing you have no idea how this stuff works. In order for someone to delete your characters, sell your stuff.. etc.. they need to log into the game...

You know what they need to do to do that with ARC?

There is no difference in the time it takes to log into STO, Neverwinter, CO, etc... by clicking their individual launchers off your desktop, and launching them via ARC (at the moment, ARC is actually a bit slower).

ARC is no more, or less secure then having individual launchers for the games.. it's simply more convenient, and provides a single stop for game related updates/news/etc.. with the additional benefit (for some) of being able to do things like access the game forums while you're in game.. without having to alt-tab or minimize out of game.

@enterprise1701ax: Cryptic didn't code ARC, as has been said multiple times, so the Development time for ARC did not take away from STO.
so you are telling me ARC doesn't have a "remember me" function?

do you even think? maybe PWE will hire you.
Career Officer
# 195
06-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Quote:
so you are telling me ARC doesn't have a "remember me" function?

do you even think? maybe PWE will hire you.
Considering you were going off on how it made it easier to be hacked... remember me would be irrelevant. After all 'hacked' is not someone logging in from your computer.

It's still one password, whether you enter it once on ARC, or once in each launcher..

So please.. explain how a system you've not used (based on your own posts), and have no familiarity with, makes it easier to hack someone's account.
Empire Veteran
# 196
06-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Considering you were going off on how it made it easier to be hacked... remember me would be irrelevant. After all 'hacked' is not someone logging in from your computer.

It's still one password, whether you enter it once on ARC, or once in each launcher..

So please.. explain how a system you've not used (based on your own posts), and have no familiarity with, makes it easier to hack someone's account.
NO, you explain why you are agianst it being ONLY optional, instead of REQUIRED...

why the hell are you argueing about people wanting a CHOICE, to not use it?

me and everyone so far that I've seen posting on my side of fence is asking that it "not be required"

you are saying "it's okay, we should use it"
_________

my stance give you YOUR option AND my option

your stance gives your option and tells everyone else GTFO
_________

so why are you so hatefull that you want to make everyone use this? is it that you ARE smarter, and already have plans as to how you will hack ARC, and take many accounts?
Career Officer
# 197
06-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by general1devon View Post
Steam and STO dont mix with my laptop
is it a newer laptop, I'm using an old Toshiba X205 series laptop running now Windows 8 and Steam+STO work like biscuits and gravy.

STO Open Beta member since 2010.
Captain
# 198
06-03-2013, 08:04 PM
My only problem with Arc is that its redundant. Even though you sign into the Arc program, you have to use it to launch and sign into "Star Trek: Online".

Steps:
First, launch and sign into Arc.
Second, use Arc to launch the STO launcher.
Third, use the launcher to sign into STO.

Instead of having one program running at once, you will now have a second program running in the background. You have to technically launch and sign into two launchers, so that you can use only one application.

It gets better... If you happen to reinstall "Star trek: Online", you will have to: (1) launch and sign into the Arc program, (2) use Arc to launch the "Star Trek: Online" launcher, (3) use the "Star Trek: Online" laucnher to sign into "STO", (4) "Star Trek: Online" asks you to get a code that was sent to your email, (5) launch and sign into your email account, (6) write the code down, (7) close the email account down, and (8) use the code to activate "Star Trek: Online".

rofl... Arc is a very redundant system.

Last edited by linyive; 06-03-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Career Officer
# 199
06-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Quote:
NO, you explain why you are agianst it being ONLY optional, instead of REQUIRED...

why the hell are you argueing about people wanting a CHOICE, to not use it?

me and everyone so far that I've seen posting on my side of fence is asking that it "not be required"

you are saying "it's okay, we should use it"
_________

my stance give you YOUR option AND my option

your stance gives your option and tells everyone else GTFO
_________

so why are you so hatefull that you want to make everyone use this? is it that you ARE smarter, and already have plans as to how you will hack ARC, and take many accounts?
huh? What?

Now you're just making stuff up. Even more so then before. Not once did I ever say it should be mandatory.

You're the one who claimed it was less secure. You're the one who can't substantiate that claim..

I've been attempting to discuss the 'flaw' in security (as you made it out to be) with you.. Apparently, that discussion didn't go the way you wanted, so you've decided to make up a position for me, on a portion of the topic I've never commented on.
Empire Veteran
# 200
06-03-2013, 09:30 PM
Quote:
huh? What?

Now you're just making stuff up. Even more so then before. Not once did I ever say it should be mandatory.

You're the one who claimed it was less secure. You're the one who can't substantiate that claim..

I've been attempting to discuss the 'flaw' in security (as you made it out to be) with you.. Apparently, that discussion didn't go the way you wanted, so you've decided to make up a position for me, on a portion of the topic I've never commented on.
it is a "security risk" in my mind... IDK if anyone else can see this or not.

since I'm a "paranoid" everything is a security risk, it's only a matter of if it's more or less, "risky" than something else.

and yes, "connivance" = higher security risk
________

given infinite time, and no "legal" processes against you, you could get into "ANYTHING" even what would be considered "high security"

this example = you own it.. or are the only one left on planet after end of worldlike opening your own house because you left the key inside... even if a police came you could show your ID to prove it's your own place = no legal action.
_________

given less time, and add legal processes, makes something more sercure, but it still can be stolen/destroyed.
_________

given these two FACTS:

the "easier/faster" it is to steal/destroy something, (the more covenant it is to get to) the "less secure" it is.

next fact:

if ARC, does make things more "covenant" then it makes them less secure.

next fact:

if ARC doesn't make things more "covenant" then there is ALREADY a more covenant way to do it, and ARC is un-needed.
_________

summarized*edited for spelling?*:

ether:

ARC is a higher security risk

or

Arc is a waste of time

Last edited by cyresofbsgo; 06-03-2013 at 09:33 PM.