Republic Veteran
# 231 What ARC?
06-14-2013, 01:28 PM
I Installed Arc and when I run it nothing happens. Is it not compatible with Windows 8 64 bit?
Career Officer
# 232 Arc = no Raptr
06-14-2013, 01:46 PM
So far, the only advantage I've seen to Arc is not having to type my password into STO, CO, or Neverwinter.

I'm also running Raptr. Even though Raptr and Arc are using different keyboard shortcuts, I can't seem to access Raptr if I launch STO from Arc.
Saving the universe ... one game at a time.
Rihannsu
# 233
06-20-2013, 10:36 AM
I would love Arc to show me which games are down for maintenance. Just a quick green or red light, saves me loading the launchers for all the Cryptic games to see which one is back up on a Thursday evening (UK)
---
Career Officer
# 234
06-30-2013, 11:46 AM
So slight bumpage, but I have a question. I know that it's been said that there were no plans to make Arc required for STO play, but I noticed that Arc is now required over on the CO side in order to play the game. Have things since changed?
-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009
Career Officer
# 235
06-30-2013, 01:38 PM
Who told you that?

I am logged into CO right now and I didn't get any messages about Arc.
Nor was I prevented from logging into my account or loading my character.

For the record, I use the Steam client to access both STO and CO.
I have not and do not intend to use Arc at all.
Career Officer
# 236
06-30-2013, 03:12 PM
One of my buddies came back to the game and said that he couldn't reinstall the game without downloading Arc. Also if you go to the main CO page they have replaced the standard Download button with a link to Arc. It forces you to download Arc and then install CO through it. So new or returning players have to use it.

Edit: Here we go.

Quote:
To play Champions Online you must first download the powerful Perfect World Entertainment gaming platform Arc. Your Champions Online download will initiate once the Arc installation is complete.
http://co.perfectworld.com/download

I too have the old CO client and I can log in through that just fine. It looks like this is now required for anyone who wants to install the game from this point on.

Edit 2: Just tried using the install button on that page. It starts the download for Arc and not the CO installer. So yeah it looks like this is now mandatory over on that side of the Crypticverse.
-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009

Last edited by lan451; 06-30-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 237
06-30-2013, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneerdtb View Post
I Installed Arc and when I run it nothing happens. Is it not compatible with Windows 8 64 bit?

Works fine for me under w8 64bit...

For those who use more than one game ... change options in launcher of STO/Neverwinter to quicklaunch ... then you can use arc to login and then load up without the need to click on play button.
Career Officer
# 238
06-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfmudd View Post
So how long until this becomes mandatory/the only way to launch STO?
With honesty, This crossed my mind too. Is that negative?

Unless this helps with the launcher issues, I can't say that this would appeal to me personally.
STO was my secret fun little addiction. I'd spend A LOT of free time and disposable income on it. Have you noticed the change recently? You've got my data, see for yourself. I'll even take a few minutes of my time to explain. All you have to do is ask Cryptic.
Career Officer
# 239
07-01-2013, 06:05 AM
Wow, that's less then subtle.

It looks like the only way to avoid Arc if you are a CO player is to have the existing client or use the Steam Client, which naturally, doesn't require Arc.

Really Cryptic, it's not smart to manditorily push your Steam clone on new CO players.
Or new STO players for that matter.

You should have offered the old client as an option for those who don't wish to use Arc.

My inner cynic says this isn't about STO or CO, it's Perfect World trying to get you to notice their other games by making them readily available.

You know, if it's there, someone might be tempted to try it out of curiosity.

Me personally, when PWE took over, I looked at their games to see if they had anything worthwhile and no, they didn't.
Career Officer
# 240
07-01-2013, 06:39 AM
I have no need for Arc.

I have looked at what Perfect World has to offer and see nothing that would interest me.
I am considering deleting both CO and NW from my computers.