Captain
# 271
09-03-2013, 10:03 AM
I play STO with Steam. That's enough third-party software in my book. I know Valve, and I trust them because they disclose exactly what they do with the data that they gather through the client: they chart people's hardware so they can make their stuff work better. And the side benefits (Steam overlay so I don't have to tab between windows to check something, social functions, etc.) are far superior.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~syberghost

If they make it mandatory they can consider me lost as a customer.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer

Last edited by syberghost; 02-11-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Captain
# 272
09-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
I play STO with Steam. That's enough third-party software in my book. I know Valve, and I trust them because they disclose exactly what they do with the data that they gather through the client: they chart people's hardware so they can make their stuff work better. And the side benefits (Steam overlay so I don't have to tab between windows to check something, social functions, etc.) are far superior.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~syberghost

If they make it mandatory they can consider me lost as a customer.
I agree if PWE makes ARC mandatory im done and will take my online gaming addiction AND the money i spend on them elsewhere.
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k161/wraith_011/Youracistbastard.jpg

Last edited by syberghost; 02-11-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 273
09-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Starting up, why is it 2 processes being ran in the background for one application.Many things come to mind of advantages and what it could be doing with your computer in the background.Overall its alright in design but severally limited in the type of content its offering.Leaving its only advantage being social interaction between players for your mmo games.Also on the thought of the app programming its self how well'ly optimized is it designed to run on all types of hardware.Things like this i think of your a unknown,where as steam is and has been known for over 10 years i expect them to work on optimizing software.Why , they take statistics of computer hardware from their users and tell them of it.On your hand you dont really do any such thing but say help to improve our application,now i bet if i checked my out going packets your taking info off my computer whether i agree to this or not and i think thats completely wrong nor will i check this cause like i said your a unknown and you have to prove to us we can trust your application to give us the best experience.

Overall:
UI looks-8 looks fairly good for what is given
More interaction- would be nice to see some form of a "fleet,guild" interaction between the games and the community

More interaction extended- Some form of a fleet/guild chat room through the app maybe with a mic interaction while in game as a premium feature
Captain
# 274
09-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amishrevolution View Post
Wants to update more often than my antivirus and seems to serve no useful purpose, lemme know if you guys come up with something even more annoying and worthless to the customer than ARC, should be amusing to see the response.
*raises hand* Origin? Nah, that's my vendetta against EA talking.

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Career Officer
# 275
09-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Arc brings together the best online gaming experiences from Perfect World Entertainment onto one easy-to-use platform.

Learn more about Arc here.
having trouble with launcher it is in taskbar but can't see
Captain
# 276
09-04-2013, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by revlot View Post

I have a pre-arc installer archived, just so that if I need to reinstall that I can do it without arc.

EDIT:
Archive it for yourself before they remove the pre-arc installer from the website.
If that ever disappears I will reupload it to my cloud storage and put a download link in my signature.

Commander
# 277
09-05-2013, 10:14 AM
I honestly didn't know how I what I would do about ARC. I was against it as an idea. Well I got a new laptop the other day, and have the option to install STO.

Simply put: I haven't as I don't feel like things are going in the direction I'm happy with. IE: ARC.
I suddenly realised that I've not updated the game either for three weeks. Maybe its burn out, and I hope I'll be back... but still ARC has me worried enough to unconsciously start avoiding STO.

Something for Branflakes to consider, and pass on to your overlords: You've pushed at least one Life timer with disposable income and a huge amount of gaming time, away from your game.

As I say, I may well be back, and thank you to those of you who have uploaded the old Installer. I may make use of your services at a later date.
Lieutenant
# 278
09-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Arc, the Warden of STO. Sorry, Bran, but no, it will not, and will never, go on my computer.
A map of known space, circa 2405 <--- Note where Iconia is. It's nowhere near Starbase 39.
Starfleet Veteran
# 279
09-16-2013, 05:17 PM
When I try to run Arc it says updating and dosn't do anything. I waited an hour and still nothing more. I tried running the installer and selecting repair but when I run it after repairing it still says updating and never does anything further.
Empress Sela, was assimulated by the Borg drone named Tasa Yar!
Ensign
# 280
09-17-2013, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
If that ever disappears I will reupload it to my cloud storage and put a download link in my signature.
As I'll have to buy a new computer soon, where can I get that installer?