Rihannsu
# 41
05-31-2013, 12:05 PM
Also, if Cryptic's engineers were working on this, I will be very displeased.

Thankfully, it looks like this was more of a PWE thing.
Career Officer
# 42
05-31-2013, 12:07 PM
Because Origin was such a huge success...oh wait.

Learn to leave well enough alone.
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 43
05-31-2013, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngazman View Post
Glad to see time that could have been spent fixing LoR bugs was wasted with this Steam knock-off.
PWE is working on this, not Cryptic STO's Game Devs are at Cryptic, the same Devs that make the game and work on (and are working on as I type) bug fixes.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Rihannsu
# 44
05-31-2013, 12:09 PM
I have STO and NW installed, he recognizes NW after I installed Arc but not STO, both games are in the cryptic folder as they should be!But other than that, nice new interface.
But anyway I'm not gonna download STO again just so that arc "finds" it...
Career Officer
# 45
05-31-2013, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
PWE is working on this, not Cryptic STO's Game Devs are at Cryptic, the same Devs that make the game and work on (and are working on as I type) bug fixes.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Well, be honest, how much did this Arc thingy have to do with the server/network problems with Cryptic games in the past weeks ?
Only Internet users deal in absolutes !
Commander
# 46
05-31-2013, 12:10 PM
PWE: "Everyone! Lets Jump on the Steam bandwagon!"

Innocent STO player: "Oh dear god no-no-no-no! *head chopped off by a conveniently low hanging blade*

... This is a terrible idea, really.... What happens when the system breaks(launcher or game communication conflicts that cause the launcher to crash repeatedly or just not work at all) while the game servers remain active, hmm?

The Steam system is a LOT more complicated than anyone realizes for this very reason..

You guys think you have server stability issues now.... Imagine the stability issue of trying to cram not just one game... but SEVERAL games through a single log-in pipe that's hundreds of thousands of players in itself. Now on top of that add the servers needed to sustain JUST THAT pipe... Those are servers that could be used to stabilize not just STO but several of the PWE networks all together...

Creating a single-launch window is a good idea, like communism, or democracy, IN THEORY ONLY. In application these things always fall to pieces or are overrun by corruption.

Last edited by sunseahl; 05-31-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Rihannsu
# 47
05-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Well, presumably the server farms are synchroing together. It's still not a good idea.
Starfleet Veteran
# 48
05-31-2013, 12:11 PM
So, from reading through the thread, even the people who like this thing find it pointless. Really hope PWE listens to that and doesn't make it mandatory, but I know they will. Just hope when they do it actually works for once, rather than trying to use it, it screwing up and then me having the spend three weeks getting it to work before I can play, which is the most likely scenario with this game in my experience.
Starfleet Veteran
# 49
05-31-2013, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Do these two groups ever interact with each other? If you ever plan to integrate connect core into sto then they would have to at least trade notes. Even if they try to take over the sto launcher and patch server then they will have to go back and forth to make them play nice with each other. While I'm glad cryptic still operates separately for now I'm sure they cannot realistically be completely separate. Any integration takes time so I would be surprised if they still haven't talked after all this time.
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 50
05-31-2013, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjunior View Post
Well, be honest, how much did this Arc thingy have to do with the server/network problems with Cryptic games in the past weeks ?
Absolutely none, actually. STO has been available on our Core client (rebranded/ redeisnged as Arc) for a long time now: http://core.perfectworld.com/

As there is not much integration with Arc and STO at this time, Arc just launches the current Cryptic launcher.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment