Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 11
06-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Why does this conversation keep repeating?
The Constitution Class in no way should be a T5 ship, it is , by modern standards, a small, underpowered ship that may have earned its heavy cruiser title in its day, but now rates as little more than a frigate, even light cruiser is pushing it.
If it was completely stripped back and rebuilt from the framework up with modern systems, it would be a T3 at absolute best!!!
I fly an Excel retrofit, and love it....but to be completely honest, even she should not really be a T5 or fleet ship given her age, T4 is a more realistic level for her.
T5 and fleet ships should really be those of modern design only, I am even undecided weather the Galaxy would truely qualify, and if she did, it would be due to her size and having gone through a substantial refit.
Starfleet Veteran
# 12
06-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
No. The Constitution should never be on par with the Sovereign. It would be like a steamship destroying a nuclear sub.

As far as any of Abram's Star Trek stuff goes, it is currently off limits for STO due to licensing issues. I would like to have the Vengeance in the game, but it is not going to happen.
If I tweaked a Steamship I could easily destroy a Nuclear Sub, which in itself is a Steamship, so I would be using the same reactor tech, armor and ordinance as the sub, but keeping the ship small and maneuverable.

Sub would never know what hit it.

That's what a T5 Connie would be all about.

Looks like a Connie, has firepower, armor and weapons from latest ships.

That's a retrofit.

Oh and to head off the usual lame, empty and wholly incorrect excuses: Defiant and D'kyr respectively as to size and age.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Survivor of Romulus
# 13
06-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Actually, I'd say the timeships are the best argument against the "It's hundreds of years old" point. They're twenty-ninth century ships - as far in the future of STO as the NX and Connie are in the past, and, with the fact that technological development accelerates over time, orders of magnitude greater in the difference in advancement. Yet the twenty-fifth century ships coexist with them quite nicely.
Captain
# 14
06-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Although I don't really object, this being a game and all, but it would be very strange. Refiting or retrofiting 200+ year old ships?
Can you imagine turning a 200 year ship (the water ones) into a modern day Naval standard vessel? It would have to be completely rebuilt. Its not time or cost effective, nor would the end result be on par with the new designs. The excelsior is a stretch already.
Captain
# 15
06-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlaylierah View Post
If I tweaked a Steamship I could easily destroy a Nuclear Sub, which in itself is a Steamship, so I would be using the same reactor tech, armor and ordinance as the sub, but keeping the ship small and maneuverable.

Sub would never know what hit it.

That's what a T5 Connie would be all about.

Looks like a Connie, has firepower, armor and weapons from latest ships.

That's a retrofit.

Oh and to head off the usual lame, empty and wholly incorrect excuses: Defiant and D'kyr respectively as to size and age.
Really a modified steamship could defeat a nuclear sub? A periscope and torpedoes would make short work of any steamship no matter how well modified. It first has to locate the sub to do any damage to it and a periscope gives a smaller surface area to detect compared to a ship. Adding a reactor to the ship no longer makes it a steamship.

No matter what technology is added to an old ship, it will never be as good as the latest model. You could replace parts of the ship, but then it would eventually reach the point where it can no longer be classified as its previous designation. So a Tier 5 Constitution is not a Constitution. The Vulcans have had over a thousand years to perfect their ship design so don't need to change their ship design as much as humans do.

Also, you are missing one very important issue. The NX and Constitution have already been heavily modified with current technology and they were only able to achieve Tier 1 status. We are not piloting ships from hundreds of years ago, but ships that have been made a few years ago.
Starfleet Veteran
# 16
06-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Really a modified steamship could defeat a nuclear sub? A periscope and torpedoes would make short work of any steamship no matter how well modified. It first has to locate the sub to do any damage to it and a periscope gives a smaller surface area to detect compared to a ship. Adding a reactor to the ship no longer makes it a steamship.

No matter what technology is added to an old ship, it will never be as good as the latest model. You could replace parts of the ship, but then it would eventually reach the point where it can no longer be classified as its previous designation. So a Tier 5 Constitution is not a Constitution. The Vulcans have had over a thousand years to perfect their ship design so don't need to change their ship design as much as humans do.

Also, you are missing one very important issue. The NX and Constitution have already been heavily modified with current technology and they were only able to achieve Tier 1 status. We are not piloting ships from hundreds of years ago, but ships that have been made a few years ago.
Is there some kind of pathology that makes people on forums blind?

It's a modern era starship that just looks like a steamship!

It's like the sub had a little brother same age as him that could kick his but because he was smaller and more maneuverable.

It's not a steamship anymore, it's a retrofit modern era defiant class starship that looks like a steamship!!!
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Captain
# 17
06-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadiezja View Post
Actually, I'd say the timeships are the best argument against the "It's hundreds of years old" point. They're twenty-ninth century ships - as far in the future of STO as the NX and Connie are in the past, and, with the fact that technological development accelerates over time, orders of magnitude greater in the difference in advancement. Yet the twenty-fifth century ships coexist with them quite nicely.
A 29th Century ship would devastate all ships in the game. I would not be surprised if one could easily destroy the Borg Homeworld. When they were introduced, the devs stated that the temporal ships were stripped of all useful equipment so their weapons were stripped, their engines were stripped, their shields were stripped, and their sensors were stripped. A true 29th Century ship could be considered as a Tier 10 or Tier 20 ship while the ones in the game have been nerfed so ship balance is maintained. After all, why pilot any other ship when a 29th Century ship could solo an STF.

For ship comparison, it would be like comparing a canoe to a F-22 Raptor.
Career Officer
# 18
06-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Quote:
There must be because people keep asking for a T5 Connie even tho CBS has kept saying "No" for years.
Starfleet Veteran
# 19
06-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Another T5 Connie Thread. Doesn't matter how you word it the question has been asked enough times..

No... Just No!!

***Disenchanted***
Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
Captain
# 20
06-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Quote:

It's a modern era starship that just looks like a steamship!

It's like the sub had a little brother same age as him that could kick his but because he was smaller and more maneuverable.

It's not a steamship anymore, it's a retrofit modern era defiant class starship that looks like a steamship!!!

The design of the ship determines its potential. No matter how much technology is added to an old design, it can only reach a certain potential and that potential is a Tier 1 ship.
Closed Thread