Career Officer
# 41
06-03-2013, 03:13 PM
One thing that bugs me about the Tholians is when the Tarantula teleports you in front of it, and does nothing else. It doesn't hold you in a tractor beam or fire at you with a powerful frontal attack.

Aside from that, it's nice to see Cryptic introducing new enemies into the game that are not just another generic mob to shoot at. It requires actual thinking to overcome your opponents...

...or one hell of a powerful AoE volley.
@HyperLimited
Captain
# 42
06-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Yeah, I do find it odd that the Tarantula doesn't immediately begin charging its frontal blast weapon when it does that - it DOES have one. Perhaps it was deemed too unfair should you get webbed immediately after the teleport? (Then again, the Elachi are more than happy to spam you with invasive scans while you're being targeted by their cone-attacks.)
Starfleet Veteran
# 43
06-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Emergency Power to Weapons is a must, as is Beam Fire At Will or some kind of Point Defense system. Between BFAW II and a PDS, I can melt cages and walls pretty effectively on my Fed cruiser, and Charged Particle Burst does the trick on my Romulan Tal'shiar battlecruiser.

The rest is just effective power management.
Commander
# 44
06-05-2013, 06:39 AM
I agree with the OP's frustration; Tholians mostly just spam system offline attacks and while they can be countered, it doesn't make them any less annoying. Most fights with their ships last for ages, purely because you used all your emergency abilities only to get the same system(s) knocked offline again straight away, or the webs end up in that weird state where you can't seem to target the nodes with anything.

I don't want them gone from the game though, it'd just be nice to see them overhauled a bit; maybe have their abilities drain your systems rather than knock them offline randomly, so you have more time to respond. It'd be nice to see the mesh "cages" still allow ships to move through at higher speeds, but with increased damage if they do-so. Maybe it's just me but I always seem to be the one they trap in those things and I never have the abilities I need to break through when it happens, or they don't actually target (or hit) any of the nodes so I have to either hope a charitable team-mate clears it from outside, or I have to wait it out.

So yeah, they're really annoying, but the game is the better for having them included; but having unique and interesting mechanics shouldn't mean incredibly annoying ones.
# 45
06-05-2013, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uss917019 View Post
OK guys the title of this is just an expression saying that the Tholians are the most annoying enemies look all they do is the same god damn thing again and again heres an example:

1st they shoot you
2nd they starting to remove your weapons
3rd depend on the level group is there they shoot there electrical charges and is so not effective against me but I think cryptic made does just to mess with your computer and mix you up so your screen gets full of electric for nothing
4rth now they start putting these caging spam

And they restart the same cycle over and over.

Now I am trying to target the little nodes on the side to get out but you know what I am clicking a lot and it does nothing on them, I look at my weapon power fully charged but still my weapons wont work this issue needs to be fixed.
*needed to lengthen*
Whiner
Captain
# 46
06-05-2013, 07:05 AM
tholians in space:
not bothered really, they can be annoying, but they do something different.
subsystem repair ftw.

tholians on ground:
if im im not forced to do this by the game, im not doing it.
insta tpk'd by those bombs they throw is just one part of their bull***t. that rpg 'trots through the middle of your team for flank' **** completely breaks immersion in the game.
that all they amount to are retarded swarmer enemies with stat buffs just means that any significant contact with them results in cheese to win being mandatory.
If you like the RPG trinity, then you hate MMOs, you hate working, competitive fair PvP, you hate balanced engaging solo content,
and,
you hate PvE "adventure zones". because the trinity is incompatible with any of these.
Career Officer
# 47
06-09-2013, 10:18 AM
My only complaint is that their ship bridges are as interesting as an old shoe box. Otherwise love everything about them.

But then I like squishing spiders IRL.
Career Officer
# 48
06-09-2013, 11:28 PM
Tholians are amazing and I want to see more of them everywhere in game! Kudos to the dev team for putting such an interestingly designed enemy in game
Career Officer
# 49
06-10-2013, 12:14 PM
I've never had any problem with Tholians on my Fed Tac Armitage-class. Set carrier pets to intercept, that will help with the Tholian webs and torpedoes, and just DPS anything else to death.
Survivor of Romulus
# 50
06-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Oh noes, an enemy which actually requires some thought to kill.

Keep Engineering Team or EPTW handy to restore weapon power if taken offline.

Use cannon scatter volley/BFAW to get rid of the webs alternatively get a point defence system.

Easy to beat if you think a little. My only criticism of the Tholians is that Cryptic are using them a little TOO much at the moment. Almost every new end game or PvE event now has Tholians flying around.
http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Terrell-STO.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.