Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,638
# 11
06-03-2013, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
Competent healing requires far more finesse than simple spam heals on team mate buttons.

At the same time, you want to be able to quickly send out heals without compromising your other ship functions. Playing a healer in STO can be as brain dead or involving as you want to make it. Automation doesn't work as well as it does for offensive roles though.

Nothing beats a crap load of buttons set up in an ergonomic fashion, and a few extra buttons here and there add up. A keyboard with extra keys will help, assuming they are easily accessible, as will a mouse with a lot of extra buttons. My personal favorite addition is foot pedals as you get more triggers and, most importantly, the ability to activate more things at the same time. I'm currently using the fragpedal quad, but I'm upgrading to the vastly superior stinky footboard. I have four pedals on preorder and they'll hopefully start sending out shipments early next month. A single stinky footboard has the same number of triggers as two fragpedals, and instead of moving your entire foot between those triggers you simply lean it in the appropriate direction -- shaving precious hundreds of milliseconds off activation time! The is so durable that it will survive being run over by a car!

Right now I use the fragpedals to switch between team mates, but once the stinky footboards come in I'll have sixteen functions bound to my feet:

-Far left footboard balances shields in a specific direction.
-Middle left footboard switches between team mates.
-Middle right footboard activates heals.
-Far right footboard activates self survival skiils.

Basically, the middle two footboards will be for healing, while the outer footboards will be for self survivability. I will never need to stop maneuvering or manipulating the camera while performing complex tasks, not even for a moment. Really looking forward to it!
nice! i ll wait until Tama or DW release the mac compatible version....how stable are these pedals of yours jorf? Does it handle BD style kicking or is it all about "clickin" by shifting weight?

oh yeah click healing is slow, some binding is good practice, although i'd like to click my target's target sometimes.
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013

Last edited by havam; 06-03-2013 at 05:36 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 371
# 12
06-03-2013, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
Competent healing requires far more finesse than simple spam heals on team mate buttons.

At the same time, you want to be able to quickly send out heals without compromising your other ship functions. Playing a healer in STO can be as brain dead or involving as you want to make it. Automation doesn't work as well as it does for offensive roles though.
Actually, Its not only random heal spam. Because I have ordered my heals from the left to the right, I can partially steer the heals I want to send. So I have always extend shields as first, then heals which have short cooldown, like doffed science team. The heals like TSS and HE I have on the right side, coming last in order. Sure, it is a compromise, but having multiple key's for team mates specific heals, will make things also complicated. And will actually slow down my reaction time. Especially with science team as one of the first heals, I buy time to build up the other (resist) heals.
Do you want to improve healing; use keybinds

@rudiefix Feds: Rudiefix / Thron / Opa
@rudiefix KDFs: Lill / Xifeidur / Dehr / Ugly
@rudiefix Roms (KDF alligned): Chicita
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 915
# 13
06-03-2013, 05:45 AM
here's a solution use the kit that gives resists and use the nanite health monitor. Works for me.

Oh I also have the boffs that allow the resists to stack on other players. And with the new trait for medical vanguard and NHM you give the MV to everyone around you.
I would like for the devs to open a poll/feedback thread on what exactly the players would like to see in the near future for the game.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 876
# 14
06-03-2013, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by havam View Post
nice! i ll wait until Tama or DW release the mac compatible version....
I actually own an Iron Cobra Flexi Glide... decent pedal. While it would be technically possible to convert midi notes from my TD-20 into keystrokes I can't see it being as efficient as the stinky

I hate DW pedals. They're probably great for metal, or maybe it's just that my specific physiology doesn't mesh well with them, but it feels like they just sap the finesse out of you. I've used a lot of DW pedals, and hated every last one of them.

One of these days, perhaps fairly soon, I will buy an axis pedal.
Behold, The Jorf Guide
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 134
# 15
06-03-2013, 06:06 AM
Sometimes I watch jorf's drum tutorials on youtube for relaxation. Pls make more tutorials jorf.

.The Spanish Inquisition.
TSI -- Star Trek Online PvP Vidoes (Youtube) -- www.BabyEra.com
/channel_join OrganizedPVP If you are interested in learning PVP, looking for a team, or a private match.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 134
# 16
06-03-2013, 06:13 AM
Oh and Jorf makes a good point too. Having all heals on one key might make sense for "OH SH*T" situations (actually I think i have that on my binds) but for the most part you want to make sure that you're sending out exactly what you want.

Most good healers are obsessed with things screwing up their activation times, and some even refuse to run shield distribution on spacebar because they think that screws with their heals activating.

.The Spanish Inquisition.
TSI -- Star Trek Online PvP Vidoes (Youtube) -- www.BabyEra.com
/channel_join OrganizedPVP If you are interested in learning PVP, looking for a team, or a private match.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,638
# 17
06-03-2013, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
I actually own an Iron Cobra Flexi Glide... decent pedal. While it would be technically possible to convert midi notes from my TD-20 into keystrokes I can't see it being as efficient as the stinky

I hate DW pedals. They're probably great for metal, or maybe it's just that my specific physiology doesn't mesh well with them, but it feels like they just sap the finesse out of you. I've used a lot of DW pedals, and hated every last one of them.

One of these days, perhaps fairly soon, I will buy an axis pedal.
LOOOOOL axis are fun, played em a couple of times. Can't stand cobras, never got used to them. DW on the other are great, allthough i feel the went a bit over board with updating the pedals during the last couple of years. Give me a 10y old 9000 any day. I prefer heel up, i have the suspicion the Cobras are more for heel down players, independent of music though.

Thats right, can't even agree with you on BD pedals About the stinky, do you actually kick it, or do you whip your feet tipping around? Can it stand actual BD like kicking?
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,015
# 18
06-03-2013, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
Competent healing requires far more finesse than simple spam heals on team mate buttons.

At the same time, you want to be able to quickly send out heals without compromising your other ship functions. Playing a healer in STO can be as brain dead or involving as you want to make it. Automation doesn't work as well as it does for offensive roles though.

Nothing beats a crap load of buttons set up in an ergonomic fashion, and a few extra buttons here and there add up. A keyboard with extra keys will help, assuming they are easily accessible, as will a mouse with a lot of extra buttons. My personal favorite addition is foot pedals as you get more triggers and, most importantly, the ability to activate more things at the same time. I'm currently using the fragpedal quad, but I'm upgrading to the vastly superior stinky footboard. I have four pedals on preorder and they'll hopefully start sending out shipments early next month. A single stinky footboard has the same number of triggers as two fragpedals, and instead of moving your entire foot between those triggers you simply lean it in the appropriate direction -- shaving precious hundreds of milliseconds off activation time! The is so durable that it will survive being run over by a car!

Right now I use the fragpedals to switch between team mates, but once the stinky footboards come in I'll have sixteen functions bound to my feet:

-Far left footboard balances shields in a specific direction.
-Middle left footboard switches between team mates.
-Middle right footboard activates heals.
-Far right footboard activates self survival skiils.

Basically, the middle two footboards will be for healing, while the outer footboards will be for self survivability. I will never need to stop maneuvering or manipulating the camera while performing complex tasks, not even for a moment. Really looking forward to it!
What about sitting on one? You could work your glutes and select targets. Actually, if it works off of how you lean it would be pretty cool to have it completely inverted to shield balance. That way if you're getting hit from the right you could lean left like the bridge is rocking. I started off joking but that actually sounds pretty bitchin.

Either way I'm jealous because I can barely keep a headset working now that my kids use the computer too. I know you said it can survive getting run over by a car but did they douse it in juice and drop it into the HVAC ducts?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 876
# 19
06-03-2013, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by havam View Post
LOOOOOL axis are fun, played em a couple of times. Can't stand cobras, never got used to them. DW on the other are great, allthough i feel the went a bit over board with updating the pedals during the last couple of years. Give me a 10y old 9000 any day. I prefer heel up, i have the suspicion the Cobras are more for heel down players, independent of music though.
I know what you mean about newer DW pedals... it's like they're so hefty and over engineered it starts to get in the way of actual playing, right?

I also suspect you're on the money as far heel up vs. heel down between the pedals. Personally, I started as a heel down player, transitioned to heel up, and ended settling somewhere in the middle -- leaning more towards heel down when I need more finesse and heel up when I need endurance. Typically, I'm a little bit more heel up on the hi-hat and a little more heel down on the bass drum. I'm not into metal in the slightest so I tend not to use the double pedal very much, but I can play ambidextrously with my hands, and somewhat with my feet. I'd have far better ambidexterity with my feet if it weren't for the hassle of switching an entire kit around -- eventually I'll just set up a secondary kit that's mirrored. I imagine that could be a cool way to teach too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havam View Post
About the stinky, do you actually kick it, or do you whip your feet tipping around? Can it stand actual BD like kicking?
You don't do either. It works like a 4-way D-pad. Technically you can assign diagonals, though I doubt that will be accurate enough to assign to critical functions too. Simply lean your foot in the direction that you want to activate until the trigger 'clicks'. Sensitivity can be customized with replaceable springs.

I'm sure you could kick it if you wanted to though and the stinky wouldn't be any worse for wear. If it can stand up to being ran over by a car I doubt it has much to fear from overeager feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redricky View Post
What about sitting on one? You could work your glutes and select targets. Actually, if it works off of how you lean it would be pretty cool to have it completely inverted to shield balance.
Sounds like a job for Kinect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redricky View Post
Either way I'm jealous because I can barely keep a headset working now that my kids use the computer too. I know you said it can survive getting run over by a car but did they douse it in juice and drop it into the HVAC ducts?
The stinky is built like a tank, I'm sure it would be fine.
Behold, The Jorf Guide

Last edited by hurleybird; 06-03-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,638
# 20
06-03-2013, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redricky View Post
What about sitting on one? You could work your glutes and select targets. Actually, if it works off of how you lean it would be pretty cool to have it completely inverted to shield balance. That way if you're getting hit from the right you could lean left like the bridge is rocking. I started off joking but that actually sounds pretty bitchin.

Either way I'm jealous because I can barely keep a headset working now that my kids use the computer too. I know you said it can survive getting run over by a car but did they douse it in juice and drop it into the HVAC ducts?
Thank you ricky, i always had the feeling that there was some strange connectino between kids and STO's transwarp gates: One shot insta pops, trucks have no chance against that
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
I know what you mean about newer DW pedals... it's like they're so hefty and over engineered it starts to get in the way of actual playing, right?

I also suspect you're on the money as far heel up vs. heel down between the pedals. Personally, I started as a heel down player, transitioned to heel up, and ended settling somewhere in the middle -- leaning more towards heel down when I need more finesse and heel up when I need endurance. Typically, I'm a little bit more heel up on the hi-hat and a little more heel down on the bass drum. I'm not into metal in the slightest so I tend not to use the double pedal very much, but I can play ambidextrously with my hands, and somewhat with my feet. I'd have far better ambidexterity with my feet if it weren't for the hassle of switching an entire kit around -- eventually I'll just set up a secondary kit that's mirrored. I imagine that could be a cool way to teach too.
Yeah too much space-tech on the pedals. There was a great pedal from tama before the cobra cameo (SP??) or something like that would buy one today in aheat beat.

As for the mirror kit (not from a lockbox) its a great way to practice, but comes with heavy chronic headaches in my experience. Something to work on for a few weeks in small doses, but I would be careful those headaches might turn nasty if one does it for too long.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
You don't do either. It works like a 4-way D-pad. Technically you can assign diagonals, though I doubt that will be accurate enough to assign to critical functions too. Simply lean your foot in the direction that you want to activate until the trigger 'clicks'. Sensitivity can be customized with replaceable springs.

I'm sure you could kick it if you wanted to though and the stinky wouldn't be any worse for wear. If it can stand up to being ran over by a car I doubt it has much to fear from overeager feet.
I actually think this thing could be great fun. I mean i don't use a proper gaming mouse and play on my laptop most of the time usually at a standing desk. Still i m intrigued by the concept. Let us know how you like your toy when it arrives.
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013

Last edited by havam; 06-03-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:59 AM.