Lt. Commander
# 1 laging and dissconencting
01-20-2010, 02:18 PM
last night and today i have been getting horrid lag but my friends and other people say they are getting zero lag.

i have ran a speed test and my connection looks good have no idea what the problem could be anyone else haveing the same problem.

also before last night i never had any problems really.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Having same issues. Plays for a minute or two and then crashes to login screen. Game is totally unplayable for me as of this morning (I'm assuming something happened with the crash/downtime yesterday/early this morning).
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Similar issues here. I really hope whatever the source of this is that it get solved. NO idea why some of us have it and others don't.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Similiar issue, been having it ever since monday.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Same issue. I can log in and play for a few minutes, then I get a red "server not responding" message, then I get booted to character selection screen. I can go right back in but I have to restart any mission I was on because I was disconnected.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Yeah I tend to have these issues myself. Unfortunantly there are a couple of factors here that might be determining my issues.

1.) It is raining here in San Jose and the weather might be affecting my wireless router signals [Netgear]

2.) My new desktop that I am using has a wireless card in it so it might be the card issues [Which i doubt it cause it was playing STO flawless before last night and the night before.]

3.) I seem to happen to me most in deep space battles so it might just be that it is a bug with the sector I am in. [I am not 100% positive since I keep getting spawned in a group of ships which somebody pulled/aggroed ]

4.) It could also be that STO might be doing something with my wireless card [AKA disconnecting etc]

5.) All the above if not more

I am not a tech person...in fact I had my friend build me this computer which seemed to have no real issues with the net so far. I just hope its something that will be fixed soon if it isn't due to the weather out here. I am really enjoying the game and I know its beta but its kinda hard to test something when you cant even get your hands on it lol.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-20-2010, 03:20 PM
This may have something to do with ongoing load balancing between instances. I was running just fine. As soon as I entered a space episode instance (solo) it was unplayable and I got disconnected. When I came back I still had some issues and started changing instances. Some of the instances I went into were completely lag free. This may be a WAN issue for some people, it may be an ISP issue for some, and for some it may be just internal with Cryptic.

There are a LOT of variables when it comes to lag. There are so many devices and connections between users that the odds of something going wrong certainly are in greater favor than not.

I'm still waiting patiently for them to get the new equipment online, optimize coding, and load balance the server. After that I think many people's problems will go away. If they don't then more than likely, as previously stated, its a WAN issue, or ISP issue.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-20-2010, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velius

4.) It could also be that STO might be doing something with my wireless card [AKA disconnecting etc]
I can certainly rule this one out. STO has no control over the connection itself. That is controlled by TCP/IP.