Rihannsu
Now we know what Reman females look like, and it turns out they aren't as horrific as I'd thought I have to wonder, are Remans and Romulans still genetically compatible or has Remus's conditions mutated them enough from vulcanoid norms to make such a cross breeding impossible?
A Trill, a Gorn, a Jem'Hadar, Bejoran and a Voth walk into a bar, and the Bartender asks "What is this a Joke?"
"Nope, just my away team" the trill replies before ordering a round for the bar.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
06-03-2013, 12:05 PM
If they have a shared ancestry (which wasn't canonically confirmed), most likely they'd still be compatible. Many much more different humanoid species without shared heritage are compatible, many without medical assistance.

The problem of cultural/behavioral isolation is probably not so easily ignored. There's not likely to be much common ground for attraction, but... Well, if Rom can fall *** backwards through an equally immense cultural barrier I guess we can assume that sometime, somewhere, some Reman will too.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
06-03-2013, 12:18 PM
I think it really depends on what the long term effects of being exposed to Dilithium and Dilithium dust are. We know on Earth there are many substances that can negatively affect fertility, but there's nothing in ST lore to base anything off of.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-03-2013, 03:25 PM
This is something I've been interested in. Are Vulcans and Romulans same species, subspecies, or different species? How long have they been genetically isolated? How do the Remens fit in? Are there any canonical details I am unaware of?

Last edited by javaman1969; 06-03-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Career Officer
# 5
06-03-2013, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by javaman1969 View Post
This is something I've been interested in. Are Vulcans and Romulans same species, subspecies, or different species? How long have they been genetically isolated? How do the Remens fit in? Are there any canonical details I am unaware of?
1) Vulcans and romulans are the same species.
2) 1600 years
3) ??? My speculation is that remans might be the native inhabitants to Remus due to their sensitivity to light from the planets lack or rotation.
4) Memory Alpha
Remove GECKO from the game!
Captain
# 6
06-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by javaman1969 View Post
Romulans are Vulcans who left Vulcan in the 4th Century - approximately 2,000 years prior to the TNG era. In those 2 Millennia they have evolved base upon their new environmental needs over that time but the differences would be, at most, minor genetic differences, not even as pronounces as the differences between white, black, hispanic, asian, etc on the earth.

As far as Remans, they're based on bats. As such I doubt they have any genetic relationship to Romulans or even proto-Vulcans. They were probably the primitive species that lived on Remus when the Vulans arrived on Romulus. The Remans were most likely enslaved and have been treated as inferiors ever since.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Career Officer
# 7
06-03-2013, 04:01 PM
Sorry, can someone paste a link to this "female Reman"? I don't recall seeing one in the movie. And, wouldn't that make her a Rewoman?
Captain
# 8
06-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
If they have a shared ancestry (which wasn't canonically confirmed), most likely they'd still be compatible.
Expanding on that just a bit...
The background information and apocrypha on the Reman page of Memory Alpha has these two tidbits that seemingly clash:

1) John Logan (who created the idea of the Remans): "It seemed obvious to me that the Romulans would subjugate some other race to dig dilithium for them. Much too messy for our pristine and elegant Romulans."

2.) "According to the novel trilogy Vulcan's Soul, the Remans were descended from the telepathic Vulcans who refused to give up their abilities during the exodus to Romulus, and were enslaved by the majority non-telepaths who became the Romulans."

I can see why there is confusion.
Commander
# 9
06-03-2013, 07:54 PM
as an example you can goto any trailer park in the US and find earths version of the Remans. I mean, it's possible' is all i'm trying to say.
Lyndon Brewer: 20% chance to capture enemy ship for 60 seconds on successful use of boarding party.

cause sometimes its party time!
Commander
# 10
06-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dessniper View Post
1) Vulcans and romulans are the same species.
2) 1600 years
3) ??? My speculation is that remans might be the native inhabitants to Remus due to their sensitivity to light from the planets lack or rotation.
4) Memory Alpha
I've always thought this made two characters really oddly portrayed.

1. Saavik is half Vulcan, half Romulan. Doesn't that just mean she's Vulcan because she chose that way of life?

2. Sybok. When that bald dude on Nimbus III saw his ears, he was amazed and said, "You're a Vulcan!" Why didn't that guy just assume he was Romulan? And later, when Spock tells them about Sybok, Bones is all, "A passionate Vulcan!" Why didn't someone look at him and say, "You mean, like every Romulan we've ever met?"