Career Officer
# 21
06-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffyvulcan View Post
I've always thought this made two characters really oddly portrayed.

1. Saavik is half Vulcan, half Romulan. Doesn't that just mean she's Vulcan because she chose that way of life?

2. Sybok. When that bald dude on Nimbus III saw his ears, he was amazed and said, "You're a Vulcan!" Why didn't that guy just assume he was Romulan? And later, when Spock tells them about Sybok, Bones is all, "A passionate Vulcan!" Why didn't someone look at him and say, "You mean, like every Romulan we've ever met?"
I agree and I've got one to add to this list:

When Picard had a wounded Romulan soldier in the episode: "The Enemy"
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Enemy_(episode)

Beverly was unable to treat the Romulan's injuries, but has no problem one would presume with Vulcans.
PLEASE fix the Dauntless. See suggestion below
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
how to make it too good (10/10)- if the LT tac was uni, it would probably be a 9/10, an extra LT eng or sci would have wonderful usefulness. this actually sorta, kinda, NEEDS to happen. 10/10 would make the LTC universal instead.
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
My thoughts on the subject are as follows:

The proto-Vulcans in TNG had the same forehead configuration as TNG Romulans. Not many Romulans were seen in ToS, so my theory, is that the forehead isactually a historically Vulcan trait, which was 'bred out' following the Separation, possibly simply due to the difference in political affiliation following genetic lines as has been seen historically many times... Over time, most Romulans typically retain the proto-Vulcan forehead, with a minority (possibly of 'sympathizer descent' rather than the traditional bloodline distinction'), having what is considered a 'more Vulcan' appearance, and Vulcans obviously appearing as they do...

With regards the Remans, I don't believe they are in any way evolved/mutated from
Romulans, but simply the indigenous people to Remus who were subjugated by the incoming Romulans (the Son'a integrated two additional race into their culture as a labor class) who enslaved them to mine dilithium. I find that more plausible, than the idea of Romulan geneticists taking the trouble to bio-engineer an off-shoot species simply to use them as slave-labor for such manual work and as canon-fodder.
I like it, much better explanation than the rubbish they cacked out as part of the Novelverse. It makes far more sense for the differences between Vulcans and Romulans to have already existed prior to the Sundering, with their differing genetic and cultural background forming the basis for the philosophical divide.

The interesting question if we go with that interpretation is; are we talking the difference between a West African and a Northern European, ie superficial differences in physical appearance with only a minor amount of genetic drift, or something more along the lines of the difference between a Human and a Neanderthal, ie two distinct evolutionary branches with a recent common ancestor which can still interbreed to some extent, but have substantial physical and genetic deviation from one another?

Most of the references to the relationship between the two would suggest the former, but as someone mentioned Crusher's comments in "The Enemy" would make the latter more likely.
--------------
We are PWE. Your forums and game accounts will be added to our own. Your community will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
Captain
# 23
06-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosolidshoe View Post
I like it, much better explanation than the rubbish they cacked out as part of the Novelverse. It makes far more sense for the differences between Vulcans and Romulans to have already existed prior to the Sundering, with their differing genetic and cultural background forming the basis for the philosophical divide.

The interesting question if we go with that interpretation is; are we talking the difference between a West African and a Northern European, ie superficial differences in physical appearance with only a minor amount of genetic drift, or something more along the lines of the difference between a Human and a Neanderthal, ie two distinct evolutionary branches with a recent common ancestor which can still interbreed to some extent, but have substantial physical and genetic deviation from one another?

Most of the references to the relationship between the two would suggest the former, but as someone mentioned Crusher's comments in "The Enemy" would make the latter more likely.
I think the TNG proto-Vulcans are the key that shows the appearance as being more historical than the smooth foreheads of Modern Vulcans, so I think it's only logical that the Separation followed lines which followed lines which were not just political, but also racial as well. And likewise, I think more the latter destiction than the former, as both Romulans and Vulcans have been shown to display ethnic variations.
Rihannsu
# 24
06-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vengefuldjinn View Post
I agree and I've got one to add to this list:

When Picard had a wounded Romulan soldier in the episode: "The Enemy"
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Enemy_(episode)

Beverly was unable to treat the Romulan's injuries, but has no problem one would presume with Vulcans.
Right, but the issue was that he needed a tissue transplant and none of the Vulcans could do it. It could just be a coincidence. Crusher was able to treat him it's just that there were a few complications. Also... she talked about a neurochemical difference IIRC.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.