Captain
# 1 Little writing help needed
09-12-2013, 07:51 PM
I'm writing a Foundry mission and what I need is a short, layman-like secondhand description of something technobabbly that a Luna-class did. The speaker is a tactical captain who's describing something he saw and doesn't completely understand.

Right now I've got "Oh, you wouldn't believe the crazy things I've seen captains do with a Luna-class. <insert secondhand description of techobabble>."
Capt. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Commander
# 2
09-12-2013, 09:16 PM
You mean like....

A Captain cross-connecting the phase modulators on the upper mission pod to the ship's warp coils and torpedo launcher(s) to produce a differential compensation in the torpedo tubes? This basically let the ship's torpedoes to pass through a destabilized warp field without detonating (presumably the result of an alien device affecting the warp drive, or a malfunction in the balance between the two warp nacelles).

The only downside being that if the launch fields of the torpedo tubes were not able to compensate fast enough, the torpedoes would detonate at point-blank range on the -inside- of the warp field and shields, resulting in heavy damage to the ship. Given that torpedoes aren't made to normally do this, most Starfleet commanders would consider this kind of jury-rigged approach a sure-fire way to end any problems the ship may be facing a lot faster than whatever might be wrong.
"I am your leader, I am in command. The fate of all my followers lies in my hands. The burden of what is right or wrong, decisions have to be made. I have to take you all into this burning Gate." - Iron Savior, 'Never Say Die'.

Last edited by danqueller; 09-12-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Captain
# 3
09-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Little bit too technobabbly. Remember, this guy is a tactical, not a scientist.
Capt. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer