Captain
# 1 Idea's and Revenue for STO
06-05-2013, 01:28 AM
First of before i start, Please note that these are parts of idea's created
by our player-development group to better STO.
We want to see more income for the game so we can get more coders to
improve patching speed, fix bugs etc. If you are interested in joining us
to create new innovative idea's Let me know (via in game perf).

Mechanical
Foundry will no longer allow access to replicator systems.
Foundry will now have a 12 hour cool down on it, based on 1 single Mission (Choose carefully).
After you complete this mission, No other drops will be granted for that lock out period.
This encourages the player to buy more bag space, while killing game inflation
that comes from the farming foundry missions.

Fleet

1500 Zen To Start a Fleet (No longer requires 5 players) (150 People Cap)
500 Zen to Expand Fleet size (100 Players per use, up to 500).
100 Zen to Instantly Finish Star-base Project Build Timer (Helps Speed star-base Building)
10 Zen to trans-warp to Star-base, Use Exchange, Mail or Other subsystems of a star-base that does not have access to that basic feature (per use). Free after you gain the needed star-base upgrades.
5000 Zen to Place fleets star-base in open universe, To be accessed by the public.
500 Zen to Upkeep the star-base in open universe per month must be met.

All fleets now have an internal upkeep based on population. This upkeep has Four levels

0-150 Players (Low) 5,000 Dilithium Per Person
150-250 Players (Medium) 10,000 Dilithium per Person
250-350 Players (High) 15,000 Dilithium per Person
350-500 Players (Very High) 20,000 Dilithium per a person

This means a fleet at 500 players must pay 10,000,000 (83,000 Zen at the time of this post) Dilithium a month to Upkeep their fleet.

This serves to be a mechanic to prevent the top (fleets) from
becoming to rich because they sit around with nothing to pay, It prevents lower (population)
fleets from being used as banks, and it increases game income. Upkeep Mechanic
also Causes income for the game, and highly prevents "invite" spam to fleets. In essence
this will help players be more careful about who they recruit.

Fleets Sectors can now Buy a Dilithium Mine. The Production Value Is based on
Fleet Population. Fleet members do tasks here to increase the production rate of
the Mine itself. After meeting max requirement for each Level, the mine becomes
up gradable for a zen cost.

All Mines cost 1500 Zen to Start

Small:
Generates (375,000 refined ore a month)
Requires 10 Missions per a day to level up
Player Mining here generates up to 1,500 Dilithium (Refined) a day (Best Score)
5 Mining Nodes (places to mine)
Upgrade Amount: 1000 Zen

Medium
(1,250,000 refined ore a month)
Requires 30 Missions per a day to level up
Mine Must be Running for minimum of 1 month
Player Mining here generates up to 3,500 Dilithium (Refined) a day
7 Mining Nodes (places to mine)
Upgrade Amount: 2500 Zen

Large
(2,625,000 refined ore a month)
Requires 50 Missions per a day to level up
Mine Must be Running for minimum of 2 months
Player Mining here generates up to 5,500 Dilithium (Refined) a day
10 Mining Nodes (places to mine) 1 High Yield
Upgrade Amount: 5000 Zen

Very Large
(5,000,000 refined ore a month)
Requires 100 Missions per a day to level up
Mine Must be Running for minimum of 3 months
Player Mining here generates up to 7,500 Dilithium (Refined) a day
15 Mining Nodes (places to mine) 3 High Yield
Upgrade Amount: 10000 Zen

All of these take place in a minute, much like the start of the breen missions
(in that sort of mine) Graphically speaking

All fleet Projects are as follows
  • 10,000,(Tier 1)
  • 25,000,(Tier 2)
  • 35,000,(Tier 3)
  • 45,000,(Tier 4)
  • 55,000 (Tier 5)

Special Projects (Shipyards etc) are 85,000 (All tiers)
Special Projects (Upgrades) are 125,000 (All tiers)

Gold Members

Gold member benefits will not longer be granted to players who stopped
paying for gold membership. All previous benefits will be removed (Except Character Expansion). This encourages Them to pay the monthly subscription.

Gold members now gain access to 1 Free Fleet Ship, Of any level. this
ship can be turned in at a special vendor at any time. Only grants
access to one fleet ship at a time.

Gold members now gain access to special Mission vendors in fleet star-base
that grant 1500 refined dilithium per a quest. None gold members only
gain 500. Both gain 50 Marks, and 100 Star-base Tier Exp.

I hope this mechanic is added and pisses off those cheap idiots that make people
pay 10 million to gain access to fleets. I know one thing, Added or not, when we
reach tier 5 shipyard, All invites will be free. I'm going to kill your income one way
or the other.

New Addition

In other games, they play with the Zen Buy/sell Amount.

what they do is they give you enough zen to have left over to almost buy something,
this encourages the person to buy another 5$ even on the spot, or shortly (a day or two) After.

So for example,

you would bump 500 Zen to 650, So that you have to buy another 100, to use a 250 item.
this would encourage another 5$ to be spent.

So it would be like

Last edited by uhmari; 06-05-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Lieutenant
# 2
06-05-2013, 01:50 AM
I respect your opinion, but I completely disagree!

This isn't (shouldn't be) a pay to win game, and by having starbase projects and other stuff being a result of investing time into the game, this means that everyone can play, regardless of their real world financial status and everyone is rewarded equally for how much work they put in.

That's really fair (probably a bit Communist, but still very fair at it's core). Isn't equal opportunities what Star Trek is all about?

Also, I'd like to think that I'm reasonably well off, and even I think Zen is expensive....
Captain
# 3
06-05-2013, 04:12 AM
This wouldent make the game pay to win.

in my view, Paying should only be because you are motivated for

Vanity (looks)
convenience (Your lazy, we know it)

It should never be

Forced that if you dont get it, you will not be able to do xyz

(Like respec tokens) for example.

I also think that gold members should get so many Conveienent benefits, they
cant resist to subscript

Last edited by uhmari; 06-05-2013 at 04:15 AM.
Captain
# 4
06-05-2013, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhmari View Post
It should never be

Forced that if you dont get it, you will not be able to do xyz
And yet, what you're proposing would do exactly that. Charging cash for starting a fleet? Forcing an upkeep mechanic down peoples' throats? Charge zen for simply playing the game?

Aspects of these idea were regarded as completely ridiculous before. That hasn't changed one bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhmari View Post
I hope this mechanic is added and pisses off those cheap idiots that make people
pay 10 million to gain access to fleets. I know one thing, Added or not, when we
reach tier 5 shipyard, All invites will be free. I'm going to kill your income one way
or the other.
And now we're back to the heart of your issue: you're still pissed that some T5 fleet turned you down.

On a completely unrelated note, I'd love to see any kind of proof this "we" you keep referring to is anything more than a deluded attempt to give yourself a shred of credibility. But I digress...

Last edited by stirling191; 06-05-2013 at 05:28 AM.
Ensign
# 5
06-05-2013, 05:49 AM
These ideas are completely unnecessary, and give advantage only for players who pays for ZENs. Its a pure disadvantage for all others.

I have an useful opinion to the game devs to give advantage to everyone:

Give 1 free retrain token to every character.

I tell my opinion why we need this:
A newb player cant build a completely successfull characters for the first times, like me they put many ponints to things what is useless for their class without any experience or knowledge. And if i want a useable character i need to buy my first retrain token immediately when i achieve my first 500 hard earned ZENs (terms of the dil/zen price and daily refine limit, it tooks like a week or 1,5 week to gather the ZEN)
Career Officer
# 6
06-05-2013, 05:54 AM
This is bad bad idea it will just make ppl stop playing the game.
It is a F2P game and free to pay I have a LTS and spend Zen
but it's my choice.
Ensign
# 7
06-05-2013, 07:32 AM
This wouldn't keep people from playing the game or cause the to stop playing the game. What it will do is cause players to become more invested in their chosen fleet that they join, and cause fleets to be more selective in who they let join.

Now instead of accepting anyone who wants to join, mostly just because they want a Teir 5 fleet vessel or whatever, they're start screening for people who are actually willing to put forth the effort to make their fleet the best fleet out there.

That's why he included a dilithium mechanic that can be used to cover upkeep costs and other such portions of the mentioned fleet mechanics, so that as long as the players within the fleet do the work needed, which might, heaven forbid, take 20 mins out of their gaming experience if everyone works on it, will allow them to keep improving or just keep the starbase running without having to pay any zen.

Also, this will keep people from randomly making fleet for no reason, or making a fleet and then abandoning it. Now there will be more thought and caution in making a fleet and people will make sure that if they're willing to put forth this zen to make the fleet, that the people in it will do their share to keep it running.

The only reason you don't like it is because this would mean the death of all of the fleets that use their tier 5 fleets as a sort of whorehouse, and that you would actually have to do work to stay in your fleet and or get access to what you want, which btw, if you joined a new fleet as the system is now, guess what, you would have to work to even harder than what this system would have you do to achieve Tiers.
Community Moderator
# 8
06-05-2013, 07:35 AM
I'll put in my two cents: No.

It's kind of funny how people think they can convince Cryptic to implement what they want by describing it as a way for Cryptic to make more money.

And then there are other people who accuse Cryptic of going for greedy cash-grabs ... of which the fleet system is already accused of being.

Let Cryptic worry about how to generate revenue. They correctly deduce that they can make more money by attracting more players to play and giving them an incentive to keep playing.

This proposed scheme only rewards people who have money to burn and does nothing to either attract or retain players.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
# 9
06-05-2013, 07:36 AM
This thread's defenders are all 1-5 post heroes.

I suspect self-epeen stroking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Community Moderator
# 10
06-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire3320 View Post
The only reason you don't like it is because this would mean the death of all of the fleets that use their tier 5 fleets as a sort of whorehouse, and that you would actually have to do work to stay in your fleet and or get access to what you want, which btw, if you joined a new fleet as the system is now, guess what, you would have to work to even harder than what this system would have you do to achieve Tiers.
What it would do is to completely kill the entire fleet advancement system, if not fleets themselves. Upkeep costs, especially fueled by voluntary contributions, are a bad idea.

If anything, it would encourage fleets to grow as big as they can possibly get and kick out anybody who isn't actively contributing.

It wouldn't prevent Tier 5 megafleets from existing.

There would be far less incentive to try to advance your fleet, since you could effectively lose all of the benefits unless you met the upkeep costs.

And paying Zen to accelerate fleet advancement would also be a no-win situation: You could end up with a Tier 5 starbase and lose the benefit of it when you ran out of Dilithium/cash.

My small fleet would certainly go under with this system, as would a lot of other small fleets.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Closed Thread