Career Officer
# 1 Why do you PvP?
05-17-2013, 08:12 AM
Simple question.

What motivates you to PvP, in this game and/or others?

The hard part:

Remain constructive, do not make derogatory remarks about others reasons and try to keep PvE out of it.

Some ideas for deeper conversation:

Do you prefer straight up kill matches, capture the flag? Special modes?

Are you in it just for the competition?

Are you in it for ego stroking? (I'm serious)

Do you enjoy the social aspects (teaming, cooperation & coordination, competition against other live players)?

Career Officer
# 2
05-17-2013, 08:19 AM
I enjoy the competition with real people, the rush of combat, the emotions involved when fighting a close match (win or lose), the fun of flying with my friends and finally the new friends I have made while taking part. I "know" a lot of folks around here and have only run into a very few who were not friendly, helpful and good sports. This is the only MMO I have ever had the desire to pvp in and I do not see that changing. I (unfortunately) have literally become a "weekend warrior" when it comes to pvping, but I live for those moments with all you other crazy masochists. Fight well, my friends
Rihannsu
# 3
05-17-2013, 08:24 AM
its a proof to my self that I myself have reached a level of leadership/playership.

I played many games some where I was even number 1 in whole world, all in all you do it for you and your team.

I prefer
Arenas but ill do C+H

-Spells

|| Open Door Policy ||
| Dues Ex Mechina |
Fleet Leader

Last edited by srspells; 05-17-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Lieutenant
# 4
05-17-2013, 08:27 AM
I've played several MMO's including WoW, SWTOR, EvE, GW2 & BP. I've never done pvp in any of them (except for EvE, you play pvp whether you like it or not). This is the first game I've ever seriously gotten into pvp and its mostly because the pve in this game is seriously lacking depth and enjoyable challenge. The fleet I joined used to pve non-stop and after years they are just tired of it....well after just a few months I too grew tired of it! So some light arm twisting was done and I began queueing up, here and there at first and then slowly it turned into an every night thing.

When I sit back and think about it, I must be in it for the ego stroking. My goal is for me and my fleet to be recognized as competent players, and to put up a good fight against the more well-known teams. I do enjoy team communication and good competition to a lesser extent, but at the end of each match I always look at the numbers and compare it to my previous performances.

I prefer arenas, cap and holds are just fun trying to tank everyone on starbase point.
24 Hours a day, 365 days a week.
Career Officer
# 5
05-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dummyname View Post

When I sit back and think about it, I must be in it for the ego stroking. My goal is for me and my fleet to be recognized as competent players, and to put up a good fight against the more well-known teams. I do enjoy team communication and good competition to a lesser extent, but at the end of each match I always look at the numbers and compare it to my previous performances.
I feel this way as well, I know I will never be thought of as one of the "best" but would like to have a good reputation as a solid player and my fleet as assets to a team
Rihannsu
# 6
05-17-2013, 08:44 AM
Well, since you asked.

First, to set down the base of my reply, I consider PvP to be anything where one player directly faces off against another player. I'll stretch my own defination and add that it has to include actual combat so we're not talking about market wars or corp theft (yes I did play Eve Online, why do you ask?).

If I PvP, it is either a matter of necessity or a matter of social pressure, though that isn't the best word.

By necessity, it means that I have to PvP in order to do something else in game. In open world PvP, this is usually something like I need to get from here to there, and someone may try and kill me on the way. Even if I never fire a shot, I feel that if I make it I just won. And if I don't, I lost.

For social pressure, I don't mean, someone who keeps bugging me on comms saying lets go kill something. I mean more like someone comes on comms and says lets go see what we can find, we get a group, and we roam to find something to kill.

I suppose overall, I like the kind of PvP that has the most surprises in it and the most sense of discovery. I don't like the cage match mentality of shooters like Halo or CoD, or like STO. It takes away the randomness of a roam like game, and reduces the number of elements you bring to the fight. In a roam, you have far wider options as to what you are going to do, and how you can do that. In the cage match, you bascially have only two things, your fit, and how fast you are at the controls.

Or, put simply, I like strategy, not tactics.
Joined September 2011
Nouveau riche LTS member
Captain
# 7
05-17-2013, 08:47 AM
What motivates you to PvP, in this game and/or others?

The challenge. Improving my game. Garnering a greater understanding of the game mechanics. Trying to make things work that folks say should not work. Being annoying - I tend toward "classes" in games that are other than strictly DPS: Warlock, Necromancer, ECM, various control/debuff/attrition type things. So to some extent, stress relief, eh? When I've had a bad day...well, I want to share.

I prefer matches that require additional tactics and even strategy than somewhat straight up arena-like matches. No doubt there's tactics and a strategy involved there that has to adapt, but I prefer a broader scope of things. I'm more of a RTS guy than a FPS guy.

Are you in it just for the competition?

Depends on the type of PvP. If it's casual, then it's more about the fun than being competitive. It's possible to have fun while losing, imho. On the other hand, if it's meaningful - as in something can be lost, whether territory, gear, etc, etc - then it's a different ballgame. Then it's about: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Are you in it for ego stroking? (I'm serious)

I go into fights expecting to be the worst player on the field, the first to die, and generally to lose. There's no ego there, but there's room for pleasant surprises when I'm not the worst player, not the first to die, and should we win.

I'm not going to get laid by being good at PvP (definitely not at being good at PvP in STO). It's not going to land me a job. I'm not going to bounce the grandkids on my knee and tell them about how back when I used to PvP we had to do it uphill both ways in the snow.

I do have a tendency to get into arguments with folks displaying ego. It just irks me. There's trash talking and it can be funny...but uh, there's folks out there that believe their trash talk.

Do you enjoy the social aspects (teaming, cooperation & coordination, competition against other live players)?

I used to be into far more organized PvP; but I couldn't deal with the drama. It's always been there, but as I've gotten older...I've just lost the patience for it. 15 years ago when I was still in my 20s, sure...even when I was still in my early to mid 30s, sure. Now? Yeah, no...damn kids need to get off my lawn.

Still though, PUGing is starting to get to me in STO and I'm actually thinking about trying to be more organized with the release of LoR.
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Rihannsu
# 8
05-17-2013, 08:51 AM
"Why do you PVP?"

Hmm.. Let's see..

Because killing NPCs gets dull after a while.
Because NPCs are not as challenging.
Because there is nothing else to do at Max level once you've gotten all the gear.
Because some of my Friends also PVP
Because while a Mission may be challenging the first time through, PVP is almost always challenging.
Most important, despite all of its flaws, PVP is still fun.
You think that your beta test was bad?
Think about this:
American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
Captain
# 9
05-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Question is missing a qualifier. Some games like COD are all-PVP all-the-time, where the whole idea is shoot and get shot. I suppose there are still some people who only play COD for the single-player campaign (used to be its primary focus), but multiplayer combat is the whole point of the game now.

I also play a Freelancer server where there are no non-combat zones, although there has to be a reason to attack somebody (role-play cops and robbers, etc). Dont sign up if you arent willing to PVP, because it is also all-PVP all-the-time.,

Games like this, where PVP is glued onto the side, are actually the most annoying for PVP. The majority does not want to lose, so they do not fight, and the PVP mechanisms become low-priority. In games where PVP is always ON, the mechanisms have to be balanced or people wont log in.

Objective-based, timed combat, is not really compatible with immersive role-play universes. What I mean is, if you have a universe that moves along as a collective whole, you can create places where you expect combat to occur, and create places where it should not occur, and have the combat contribute or reflect the overall arc. Old days in Ultima Online, where the universe was persistent and shared, and PVP anywhere, you took your lockpick/thief to a dungeon and emptied a chest, and it was empty for everybody until the next time it spawned. Another thief might come in behind you, and steal the loot from you. And you might kill him. The PVP was part of the story, and was not objective-based like capture-the-flag.

STO does not really have an overall arc, it has single-player campaigns that operate in different times and dimensiosns, and then you come back to the present-day universe. There isnt any real player interaction within the universe, because there is no shared, persistent universe anyway. Furthermore, the instance/zone model that STO uses precludes any kind of progression mechanism. What are you going to do with war zones, when Feds win instance #4 and KDF wins instance #3? Objective-based, timed combat, is really the only thing they can do without wholesale changes to the game, and they cant even afford to build a proper three-way PVP, so .... this is what we get.

To answer the short question, however, I dont PVP much. I dont really like item-centric combat.
Captain
# 10
05-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Masochism

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
there are 2 maps and two types of pvp .Even if you want to choose you cant.