Ensign
OK, I searched the forums for this issue and see that it's occurred several times over the past few years. Typically everyone wants to blame the user's PC for thermal issues. I'm convinced the pattern is real aside from thermal problems...here's my deal:

My machine played STO perfectly for a long time before the Romulan patch. As it does with a *lot* of other similar games. Just in case you want to know, here's my system specs:

AMD FX-6200 6-core CPU
16Gb DDR3-1600 RAM
Radeon HD 7850 2Gb GDDR5
120Gb SSD boot disk with 9Gb free (MS Office installed on there too)
2Tb SATA2 hard drive for games and stuff (with like 1.5Tb free)
On-board Realtek audio
Windows 7

As noted, the arrival of the problem is exactly correlated to the new Romulan patch. The machine was 100% stable for a very long time before that. I can monitor my temps and I can see, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that the issue is not thermal. I also religiously clean my fans and heatsinks so the dust level is essentially zero.

In addition, here's the list of all the other games on this machine that continue to work flawlessly:

Age of Conan
DC Universe
DDO
WoW
LOTRO
Diablo 3
Heroes VI
BattleForge
...and a few other "lesser" games

STO will cause the machine to simply turn off...usually on the character selection screen, and often even before the "Charlie's Angels" image is rendered. Although sometimes it will go ahead and let me log in and play for a bit, a few minutes maybe, and then just shut off.

If it was a thermal issue, I'd see it via the monitoring. Also, if it was a thermal issue, the other games would cause the same problem. Likewise, if it was a problem with the PSU getting stressed, it would also crash on other games. And for both of those potential issues, if they were problems then STO would *never* work, but sometimes it's gracious enough to let me play as long as I want without issue.

Sandra also shows no problems. And I've tested a LOT with the other games, some of which have significantly more advanced rendering engines than STO (Age of Conan particularly...that engine is amazing). As noted, if the problem was anything to do with heat or power, the other games would all blow up too.

This issue is categorically an STO problem. Would be nice if someone could fix it.
Lieutenant
# 2
06-05-2013, 01:45 PM
I recomend using blue screen viewer so that you can see where the problem is.
Did you try fresh install of STO?
unistall, delete all files in Program files/Cryptic Studios folder, run CCleaner, restart, install STO to diferent folder, turn down graphics options in game.
I hope ths help

I too have 3 sistem froze problems, but bfr LoR, and i fix it with new ATI drivers.

off topic: for SSD its recomendet to have 10% free space.
Ensign
# 3
06-05-2013, 02:05 PM
I actually copied the entire STO install directory from my desktop (with the issue) to my laptop...runs flawlessly on the laptop, so I can't imagine that a reinstall would do anything.

As for anything having to do with a blue screen - there is no blue screen. The PC just shuts off like you pulled the plug out of the wall. It's truly bizarre.

I do run CCleaner on a regular basis. It is OT, but I did open up the free space on my boot SSD to 10.5Gb.

For giggles I'll try downloading the latest video driver. I'm on 13.1 right now...13.4 is available. But that didn't change between STO working and STO not working...
Career Officer
# 4
06-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Y'know it may sound silly, but I've seen this happen with a couple of desktops. The computer might run fine doing most tasks and all of a sudden shut down running an odd program.

Anyway I've solved it by changing the power supply cable.

That might not be your problem however your symptoms remind me a little of those computers I've had to look at.

I run sto on an nvidia 560ti card with an old AMD 2ghz dualcore no problem. My motherboard should be ready for last rites, but she just keeps running!

Last edited by forewm; 06-05-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Ensign
# 5
06-06-2013, 08:04 AM
I had the same thing after the update of may 24, the update of may 29 worked fine form me but with the update of june 5th my game client doesn't even bother to start.

If you ask me It's the game. I run a i7 processor with AMD radeon HD6850M and 8GB ram.
Ensign
# 6
06-06-2013, 10:32 AM
FWIW after yesterday's 221Mb patch, I launched into STO just fine and played for an hour at least. Had hoped the issue had been fixed.

The second time I tried to go in, though, it blew up.

Also updated to latest Radeon driver...still blows up.

All the while, all those other games I listed work just fine. STO must be doing something remarkably strange to cause the machine to crash when none of those other games do any such thing.
Ensign
# 7
06-06-2013, 11:19 AM
I don't believe the problem is our rigs. I run several other games without any issue as well, but I run STO, and my AlienWare shutsdown. No notice, bluescreen, or anything else. Screen goes black, and I have to turn power back on.

I play GW2, PWI, WoW, and SWOR without any issues. I can leave PWI, and SWOR logged in overnight without any crashes, or game issues the next day. I can play STO, but for no longer than an hour at the most before it just completely shuts down.

Posting my rig won't help, as I do not believe the issue is with our PC/rigs. A friend of mine who works as a game programmer for World of Tanks has installed the game, and has come up with the same issue. He has told me that it's all about the game programming pulling too much juice on our system, hence causing the spontaneous shutdown. His conclusion comes from testing the game on several rigs, from the minimum requirements listed, to top of the line setups. All yield the same result. Overheating, and game shutdown.

Before the Romulan patch, both my wife, and I played daily. My wife can't even stay logged in for 5 minutes, since the update, before she shuts down.
Lieutenant
# 8 event viewer
06-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Check System event viewer, just in case.
right click on my Computer, then menage (2nd row, 1st is open)
Look for red icons - usualy say "error"
Captain
# 9
06-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reld View Post
I don't believe the problem is our rigs. I run several other games without any issue as well, but I run STO, and my AlienWare shutsdown. No notice, bluescreen, or anything else. Screen goes black, and I have to turn power back on.

I play GW2, PWI, WoW, and SWOR without any issues. I can leave PWI, and SWOR logged in overnight without any crashes, or game issues the next day. I can play STO, but for no longer than an hour at the most before it just completely shuts down.

Posting my rig won't help, as I do not believe the issue is with our PC/rigs. A friend of mine who works as a game programmer for World of Tanks has installed the game, and has come up with the same issue. He has told me that it's all about the game programming pulling too much juice on our system, hence causing the spontaneous shutdown. His conclusion comes from testing the game on several rigs, from the minimum requirements listed, to top of the line setups. All yield the same result. Overheating, and game shutdown.

Before the Romulan patch, both my wife, and I played daily. My wife can't even stay logged in for 5 minutes, since the update, before she shuts down.
I got this my self a couple of times on Wednesdays patch game would just auto task it self off with out warning.I had this happen during CSE once.And i do agree there is nothing wrong with my rig it is cleaned and scanned every night and defraged regularly.There was a couple of others that reported the same thing i think i was the first.I looked through the game logs and found nothing.

BluescreenView would help is system gave a BSOD but it did not.

BlueScreenView 1.50
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...creenview.html
This does not need to be installed just double click on the icon in the folder.

Last edited by xcom43; 06-07-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Just happened to me, and no, overheating is not the cause. I'm really getting pissed off with the incompetence of the game developers, and if its gonna start causing total shut downs, well all I can say is **** you.
Closed Thread