Lt. Commander
I'm quite vocal about crashing issues being a game breaker for me and STO so I owe it to Cryptic to post my tweaking that fixed all my stability issues in STO.

First a little system info:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/18/2010, 20:12:28
Machine name: CHRIS-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: GA-MA780G-UD3H
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM
Page File: 1036MB used, 7150MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 64bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTS 250
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0615&SUBSYS_0593196E&REV_A2
Display Memory: 2798 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1007 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: SyncMaster
Monitor Id: SAM037C
Native Mode: 1680 x 1050(p) (59.883Hz)
Output Type: DVI
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,n vwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.16.0011.9062 (English)
Driver Version: 8.16.11.9062
DDI Version: 10
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail

----------------------------------------------------

Next were my symptoms:

Computer would completely freeze with looping / stuttering sound between 3 to 20 minutes of game play depending where I was in the game. Some times the computer would reboot itself. Also i would receive the BSOD error code Stop 0x0000001E.

The Stop 0x1E message indicates that the Windows kernel detected an illegal or unknown processor instruction. The problems that cause Stop 0x1E messages share similarities with those that generate Stop 0xA errors in that they can be due to invalid memory and access violations. This default Windows error handler typically intercepts these problems if error-handling routines are not present in the code itself.

Possible Resolutions:

Stop 0x1E messages typically occur after installing faulty drivers or system services, or they can indicate hardware problems, such as memory and IRQ conflicts. If a Stop message lists a driver by name, disable, remove, or roll it back to correct the problem. If disabling or removing applications and drivers resolves the issue, contact the hardware manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools.

If the Stop message mentions the file Win32k.sys, the source of the error might be a third-party "remote control" program. If such software is installed, you might be able to disable it by starting the system in safe mode. If not, use Recovery Console to manually delete the system service file that is causing the problem.

Problems can result from system firmware incompatibilities. Many Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) issues can be resolved by updating to the latest firmware.

Other possible causes include insufficient disk space while installing applications or performing certain functions that require more memory. You can free up space by deleting unneeded files. Use Disk Cleanup to increase available disk space. From Recovery Console, remove temporary files (those with .tmp file extensions), Internet cache files, application backup files, and .tmp files generated by Chkdsk.exe or Autochk.exe. You can also choose to install additional applications to another hard disk with more free space or move data files, paging files, and so on.

The problem might be due to a memory leak caused by an application or service that is not releasing memory correctly. Poolmon (Poolmon.exe) helps you to isolate the components that are causing kernel memory leaks. For more information about troubleshooting memory leaks, see Microsoft Knowledgebase articles Q177415, "How to Use Poolmon to Troubleshoot Kernel Mode Memory Leaks," and Q298102, "Finding Pool Tags Used by Third Party Files Without Using the Debugger."

----------------------------------------------------

Now for the solution to Windows 7 64bit if you are using an Nvidia video card:

I right clicked and went to my Personalize.

Then to Display/Change Display Settings/Advanced Settings/Start the Nividia Control Panel

Under "Adjust image settings with preview" I checked the box "Use my preference emphasizing: Balanced".

Under Manage 3D settings category I set "Multi-display / mixed GPU acceleration" to "Single display performance mode."

Under "Power management" I set "Prefer maximum
performance
."

I set "Verticle Sync" to "Use the 3D application setting."

Look back to the upper left and go under "Set PhysX configuration" and click the box that says "Disabled."

Then under the "Display" category; "Adjust desktop size and position" subcategory check the box that says "Use Nvidia scaling."

You're done with tweaking your computer. Now try and launch the game.

When you launch STO the next time make sure you do two important things. First, turn ON Vertical Sync. Second, scroll down and turn OFF Post Processing.

It's also important to note I play in Windowed mode now because I dug up info regarding issues with full screen anti-aliasing.

I've been tabbed out about 25 minutes in the starbase just to write this and go back over the steps I used to fix my problems. I tabbed back in perfectly fine, and the computer never locked up once. I'd also been playing a solid half hour before I decided to write this guide. Before they took the servers down I lasted 45 minutes of flawless quality and the game still looked great.

It's very important to comment and let me know if this helped fix your issues too. I'd like to thank everyone across several threads, including the "scary TSO makes my computer reboot" for leads to possible solutions.

Happy gaming!
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-20-2010, 07:55 PM
Bumping this back up, I think it will be of a great aid to some.
I know my computer seriously overheats when I play STO and anything that will aid in fixing that is a plus
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-20-2010, 08:01 PM
my 2 cents all my issues with performance went away with the new nvidia driver 196.21 released yesterday. My temps are down i am running everything maxed FPS 50+ in earth station with no stutter. tested by rezoning into base numerous time. Fixed my FPS, stutter and higher than normal temps
running quad 9950 BE
nvidia 9800 GTX OC+ 1GIG DID I SAY MAXED EVERY POSSIBLE THING
Ive also noticed post about disabling PhysX to fix locking issues not sure if relavent they updated that also in the new driver set
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvainus View Post
my 2 cents all my issues with performance went away with the new nvidia driver 196.21 released yesterday. My temps are down i am running everything maxed FPS 50+ in earth station with no stutter. tested by rezoning into base numerous time. Fixed my FPS, stutter and higher than normal temps
running quad 9950 BE
nvidia 9800 GTX OC+ 1GIG DID I SAY MAXED EVERY POSSIBLE THING
Ive also noticed post about disabling PhysX to fix locking issues not sure if relavent they updated that also in the new driver set
The nvidia drivers change my issue from completely freezing up, to the game still locking up but I could manipulate the pc mouse cursor and other menial things such as turn the caps lock key on the off. It did not entirely solve the issue at hand because the game was unplayable but I was tip my hat and give a nod to the new drivers helping with a part of the solution.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Well I am truly glad they helped you fix your issue, i have been in your shoes in the past with other games and i feel your fustration.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvainus View Post
Well I am truly glad they helped you fix your issue, i have been in your shoes in the past with other games and i feel your fustration.
Now if we only had help patching the client lol.