Wow.
Career Officer
# 2
06-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffyvulcan View Post
Matt Smith has announced he's leaving.

Wow.
Honestly, of all the new Doctors, I liked him the least; so for me, it may be an improvement depending on who they hire next (assuming the BBC continues the show at this point.)
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Commander
# 3
06-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
Honestly, of all the new Doctors, I liked him the least; so for me, it may be an improvement depending on who they hire next (assuming the BBC continues the show at this point.)
I liked him, but he definitely wasn't my favorite. I just felt like he was a very good fit for the new tone of the show after Tennant (whom I still miss) left. I really thought Smith would have a very long tenure. I was surprised to see him leave.

I am excited to meet the next one, though. I guess that says quite a bit about Smith. With Tennant, I was dreading the transition, but now I'm curious about it.

That's not to say I disliked him in the role. It just felt more like a reboot of Who than a continuation. I can't explain how or why, but that's how his tenure felt to me. And I didn't think Doctor Who needed a reboot then. It was far from stale.
Career Officer
# 4
06-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffyvulcan View Post
I liked him, but he definitely wasn't my favorite. I just felt like he was a very good fit for the new tone of the show after Tennant (whom I still miss) left. I really thought Smith would have a very long tenure. I was surprised to see him leave.

I am excited to meet the next one, though. I guess that says quite a bit about Smith. With Tennant, I was dreading the transition, but now I'm curious about it.

That's not to say I disliked him in the role. It just felt more like a reboot of Who than a continuation. I can't explain how or why, but that's how his tenure felt to me. And I didn't think Doctor Who needed a reboot then. It was far from stale.
Agreed about Tennant (For me, he was right up there with Tom Baker and he was the first Doctor post Baker that I really liked and was sorry to see go - although it was an offer he couldn't pass up.)
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Captain
# 5
06-01-2013, 04:37 PM
I dunno - I thought Tennant's Doctor was a little dour. And I got so tired of him saying, "I'm sorry," all the damned time.

However, given what was revealed at the end of the last season, doesn't that mean the Doctor's out of regenerations? Or am I miscounting?
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Captain
# 6
06-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
I dunno - I thought Tennant's Doctor was a little dour. And I got so tired of him saying, "I'm sorry," all the damned time.

However, given what was revealed at the end of the last season, doesn't that mean the Doctor's out of regenerations? Or am I miscounting?
I believe he got all of River's regenerations when she saved him and gave him all her energy.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 7
06-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
I believe he got all of River's regenerations when she saved him and gave him all her energy.
Probably true. That would give him another 10 lives, if the onscreen count of River's used lives is accurate. (I've not seen anything after the 2nd to the last episode with "the Ponds", so for all I know a timey-wimey event might have showed another regeneration in her past. I'll be catching up soon.)

I seem to recall someone saying there was some other event in the new series that might have triggered either a high number of bonus regenerations, or an infinite number. I don't remember what that nebulous moment was, though.
Captain
# 8
06-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Smith has been alright but he just doesn't seem to have the emotional range of Tennant or Eccleston. The ability to be giddy and excited and happy and heartbroken and terrified and monstrous.

"You're in the biggest library in the universe. I'm the Doctor. Look me up."
or
"I'm not ready."

Smith has been getting better during his run, but still can't pull those sorts of things off. The scripts of course haven't been helping him and I'd rather have a new writer than a new Doctor, but maybe an adjustment will help a series thats gotten a little stagnant.
Career Officer
# 9
06-01-2013, 08:59 PM
I no it will not happen but would love for the 10th Doctor to come back I cryed when he left
swimwear off risa not fixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
It's not their fault you feel trolled by the new ability to be immune to your disco ball, sorry'boutit.
Career Officer
# 10
06-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
Agreed about Tennant (For me, he was right up there with Tom Baker and he was the first Doctor post Baker that I really liked and was sorry to see go - although it was an offer he couldn't pass up.)
I liked Tennant as well. In fact, I was a solid "Tom Baker is the best Doctor" guy up until Tennant. After Tennant, I had to go with Tennant. Though Baker is was still a great Doctor. Pertwee is probably the 3rd best.
"There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."-Commander William Adama