Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Captain
# 51
07-22-2013, 05:45 AM
I agree in regards to the missions that are blatantly just poorly repurposed Federation faction missions. I'm tired of seeing those.

I don't believe it's ever been adequately explained why the Klingon Empire should give a flying turd about the True Way, for example (beyond the usual unimaginative 'oh, this is clearly a threat to everyone in the Alpha Quadrant, so the KDF and the Federation should just immediately pretend they're back to being close allies' schtick). I'm talking about the entire damned "Dominion Domination" story arc (as described in the STO wiki). It was clear from the first time I went through that content, and the first time I went through the subsequent Featured Episode that continues the arc, that it was Federation-perspective mission content with a very flimsy Klingon wrapper thrown on so it could be claimed that it was 'cross-faction/universal content'.

I don't believe there's a single Klingon player who bought the ruse. Of course, since Cryptic didn't care much about how we felt about being crapped on. . .it was kept on with no changes. So now we have a blatantly contradictory story arc right in the middle of the progression that depicts the Klingon Empire helpfully 'assisting' the Federation with a problem that is entirely the concern of the Federation. . .both the True Way, and the subsequent Dominion 'invasion'. People now point to this as 'proof' that the war is no longer on, and that we should stop 'pretending that it's on'.

You know what the best storyline missions are for the Klingon faction? The early-rank stuff (Bringing Down the House, The House Always Wins, etc) and the Fek'lhri mission arc. Then the new tutorial-level stuff that is at least Klingon Empire-oriented in perspective. These are the missions that at least present a considerably more Klingon outlook on things, and more blunt, straightforward actions being presented.
tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
Survivor of Romulus
# 52
07-22-2013, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blagorm View Post
NOT To Mention that the "New" KDF Content is Complete Dead Vrr'Nrr'Taa! DO YOU SEE HOW WEAK THE OVERALL STORY IS? Like "The Hunt Is On"... your leads are as if they just tell you automatically, and their answers are short, NOT TO MENTION No VO, As Romulans get Starships Full Of It! When you Incounter That Orion Person, He says 1, 1!!!! sentence, then you just FIGHT him? *sigh* And that Transporter PADD... You happen to "ASSUME" it needs power, etc etc, literally, play the new content from lvl 1 and see how dreadful it is!
What the heck are you talking about, the new KDF content is awesome!

It's waaaay better than anything the Federation has atm, and is at least on pair if not better in certain segments than the new Romulan content. The new missions rock! And all of the older ones that were re-worked are way much better now and make more sense. If they'd add 5 missions like these to the KDF with each expansion, I'd be one very happy camper forever.

The KDF LoR missions are connected and tell a continuous story, and are very well thought through. Am I the only one noticing (after playing all of the Romulan missions and all of the KDF missions after LoR) that there are certain connections and hidden suggestions back in the shadows and that the devs have left a back door open for a furute conflict between the Klingon Empire and the Orion Syndicate, as well as a conflict between the Great Houses of Qo'noS??
Show your support for the Revamped Galaxy Class Exploration Cruiser here!

Last edited by shpoks; 07-22-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 53
07-22-2013, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpoks View Post
What the heck are you talking about, the new KDF content is awesome!

It's waaaay better than anything the Federation has atm, and is at least on pair if not better in certain segments than the new Romulan content. The new missions rock! And all of the older ones that were re-worked are way much better now and make more sense. If they'd add 5 missions like these to the KDF with each expansion, I'd be one very happy camper forever.

The KDF LoR missions are connected and tell a continuous story, and are very well thought through. Am I the only one noticing (after playing all of the Romulan missions and all of the KDF missions after LoR) that there are certain connections and hidden suggestions back in the shadows and that the devs have left a back door open for a future conflict between the Klingon Empire and the Orion Syndicate, as well as a conflict between the Great Houses of Qo'noS??
Better? The short related answers and straight to the point answers/dialog in missions and Klingon-Biased reasoning that "You can seem peaceful, but just kill them anyways" gig etc.
, is better? The Federation has so much more in depth story, I'm surprised you would say that. You have VO as a FED, KDF has in Tutorial, That's it. Gorn are "assimilated by Klingon" etc etc.... it is just hard, after being watered down for so long to really get a hook on this horrible content, at least how I see it.
R'tolves Will Spread Thier Peace and Will Prevail Over the Hostiles Who Dare Hurt Such A Isolationist Consitutional Monarchy!

Survivor of Romulus
# 54
07-22-2013, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blagorm View Post
Better? The short related answers and straight to the point answers/dialog in missions and Klingon-Biased reasoning that "You can seem peaceful, but just kill them anyways" gig etc.
, is better? The Federation has so much more in depth story, I'm surprised you would say that. You have VO as a FED, KDF has in Tutorial, That's it. Gorn are "assimilated by Klingon" etc etc.... it is just hard, after being watered down for so long to really get a hook on this horrible content, at least how I see it.
Yes, much much better. The new Klingon content, with the exception of some very good foundry missions and the Romulan content which is on the same level, is the best stuff in STO up to this date.

"You can seem peaceful, but just kill them anyways" gig? Well, at least you're doing it as a KDF, it is more fitting. The Federation does the exact same in their content and they're Starfleet officers! The majority of the whole game is like this.

The Federation has depth in story?!? Have you played the Federation missions??
They have some of the lamest and most nonsensical missions in STO. They've just got more on them, but the quality level is way lower. "Divide et impera", "Diplomatic orders", "Stop the signal" just to name a few horrible ones. Is that depth?
Also the Fed. has about the same amount of VO as the KDF now, with the Romulan Republic leading in that regard.

And about the other species behaving differently or as you say "Gorn are assimilated by Klingon", well it is the same with every faction. On the Fed. side, Vulcans, Humans, Betazeds, Tellarites and everyone else has the same dialogue. Cryptic barely managed to have 3 different factions after a looong time. Expecting them to have a different approach and dialogue for every species of every faction would be irrational and in the realm of the imaginary and fantasy, at least for the time being. It would be awesome if it were like that, but don't expect it to happen in the near future.
Captain
# 55
07-22-2013, 01:21 PM
A couple interesting pieces of non klingon kdf fluff in the game, the doff mission for the egg layer festival, the Orion War Barges Kolari and Ur'eon which according to memory beta are the names the Orions have for themselves in thier own language.
Captain
# 56
07-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpoks View Post
And about the other species behaving differently or as you say "Gorn are assimilated by Klingon", well it is the same with every faction. On the Fed. side, Vulcans, Humans, Betazeds, Tellarites and everyone else has the same dialogue. Cryptic barely managed to have 3 different factions after a looong time. Expecting them to have a different approach and dialogue for every species of every faction would be irrational and in the realm of the imaginary and fantasy, at least for the time being. It would be awesome if it were like that, but don't expect it to happen in the near future.
The Federation has been shown to be very unified in ideology in the shows. Not a lot of variety is called for. But the KDF has only very recently (last 25 years before the game or so) become a multi-species faction. They won't have the same similarity of ideology.

But here's the biggest thing that really stands against the argument that Cryptic shouldn't put species specific stuff in game for the KDF: THEY'VE DONE IT ALREADY! In the Honor Day "Meet the crew of the Bortasqu'" mission, they have an Orion male. That Orion male specifically says "I'm an Orion. I don't care about Honor." Cryptic acknowledges that not everyone in the KDF is an "Honor, Glory, Raahh!" Klingon. But they don't expand on it at all. Why not? Because it doesn't make money, I guess. WHich is too bad - I bet more people would play KDF if there was some cool, unique stuff like species specific storylines.
Survivor of Romulus
# 57
07-23-2013, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by felderburg View Post
The Federation has been shown to be very unified in ideology in the shows. Not a lot of variety is called for. But the KDF has only very recently (last 25 years before the game or so) become a multi-species faction. They won't have the same similarity of ideology.

But here's the biggest thing that really stands against the argument that Cryptic shouldn't put species specific stuff in game for the KDF: THEY'VE DONE IT ALREADY! In the Honor Day "Meet the crew of the Bortasqu'" mission, they have an Orion male. That Orion male specifically says "I'm an Orion. I don't care about Honor." Cryptic acknowledges that not everyone in the KDF is an "Honor, Glory, Raahh!" Klingon. But they don't expand on it at all. Why not? Because it doesn't make money, I guess. WHich is too bad - I bet more people would play KDF if there was some cool, unique stuff like species specific storylines.
Oh, I wasn't talking about the unified ideology of Starfleet and the Federation, I was just making a comparison of how things work in STO.
And even if the ideology on the blue side is pretty much unified, there are still gaps due to this "making things in a single pattern for the whole faction" thing. Just of the top of my head, one of the starting missions for Feds. - "Diplomatic orders". I play it with a Vulcan and the Undine Soketh says "Such emotion on your face. I can see now that my deception has been exposed.". Vulcans do not show emotions for ex. that's what I ment.