Commander
# 11
06-07-2013, 09:36 AM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Galaxy-R. It is a fantastic Ship. It's a Assault Cruiser with a Cloak and Spiral Lance for god's sake.

Thing can do a pretty good Alpha.

I am terrible at this game. I have 7 Lv 50 accounts.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkraust View Post
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Galaxy-R. It is a fantastic Ship. It's a Assault Cruiser with a Cloak and Spiral Lance for god's sake.

Thing can do a pretty good Alpha.
That is the Galaxy Dreadnought, good ship but it does need an update, the Galaxy-R has the Saucer Seperation console.
Survivor of Remus
# 13
06-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingwarbird View Post
I have a suggestion, my Fleet has been playing around with tweaking Rear Admiral ships to maximize in PvP against each other and we've discovered a whole new realm of fun in taking old or "obsolete" ships now and kitting them out to do battle against each other.

I did strike me thinking that we could ask Cryptic to put this in the game as another "mode" to PvP. This mode would have some pretty cool rules to help balance out PvP and would not affect "normal" PvP or PvE in the slightest but would appeal to fans of the original game, pre-F2P.

These are the rules...

- No Lockbox ships, equipment or consoles
- No Fleet equipment, weapons or consoles or Ships
- Rear Admiral or C-Store Vice Admiral (Gen 1) Ships Only

(C-Store Gen 1 Ships are as follows
- Intrepid-R
- Galaxy-R
- Defiant-R
- Akira Carrier
- Atrox Carrier
- Vulcan D'Kyr
- Excelsior-R
- Nebula-R
- MVAM Prometheus
- Dreadnought Cruiser
(and Klingon and Romulan equivalents of those ships)

- No Reputation Abilites (Unfortunately, nothing can be done about the passives but they are not game breaking)

This mode would allow players to enjoy a taste of "old skool" STO PvP and would make ships like the Intrepid-R and Galaxy-R which are considered "obsolete" in the game at the moment relevant again. It would also make PvP more accessible to new players that don't have lockbox ships, weapons and fleet equipment.

I believe this would benefit PvP on the whole and make the game more accessible for others without damaging the "original" PvP mode. It would also allow players to kit out another ship and have fun with some of the older vessels of STO as well.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

On a side note, My Fleet has been trying to organise "Vanilla" Tournaments in STO to try and appeal to classic players who enjoyed the old PvP. So if you are interested, send me a PM or something.
I can think of 1 Addition & 1 Rule right now that would improve PVP for a lot of people. You can keep your big long list lol.

....Add a Lone Wolf PVP Queue. As in a PVP option for the single player that does not allow Pre-made groups to join the same Queue....

That would likely bring some balance.

Cheers,
Zoo (D'Zoo)
Captain
# 14
06-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezoo69 View Post
I can think of 1 Addition & 1 Rule right now that would improve PVP for a lot of people. You can keep your big long list lol.

....Add a Lone Wolf PVP Queue. As in a PVP option for the single player that does not allow Pre-made groups to join the same Queue....

That would likely bring some balance.

Cheers,
Zoo (D'Zoo)
That... would be a godsend. Ive wanted that in so many games in the past. A blind, totally random, no grouping allowed queue...

Everything is OP, plz nerf
Fleet Admiral Rylana - U.S.S. DNT Omega X
=== Vice Squad/House of Tlhap-Jen ===
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rylanadionysis View Post
That... would be a godsend. Ive wanted that in so many games in the past. A blind, totally random, no grouping allowed queue...
Thumbs up there!
Rihannsu
# 16
06-07-2013, 01:01 PM
While I'm not a PvPer, I do try to follow PvP threads here in the General discussion because of how they might effect my PvE game. Don't bother trying to argue that PvP doesn't effect PvE or that even if it did it really wouldn't matter because PvE = EZmode.

On observation, based both on the postings here and in general regarding PvP, I see quite a lot of ideas put forth where the individual poster wants other PvPers to conform to this way or that way in which the PvPer posting views PvP to be most enjoyable.

Why not form some sort of Vanilla PvP league where you set down the rules regarding character and ship makeup. This would then provide PvPers the option of participating within the confines of the rules. The core founding group can decide on the details of the rules and then make them public. You could ask for donations to participate in the competition and those donations could go towards rewards.

It is easier to provide options for players so that they can decide and choose to participate than it is to try to force them all into one certain set of rules.
Survivor of Remus
# 17
06-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyryck View Post
While I'm not a PvPer, I do try to follow PvP threads here in the General discussion because of how they might effect my PvE game. Don't bother trying to argue that PvP doesn't effect PvE or that even if it did it really wouldn't matter because PvE = EZmode.

On observation, based both on the postings here and in general regarding PvP, I see quite a lot of ideas put forth where the individual poster wants other PvPers to conform to this way or that way in which the PvPer posting views PvP to be most enjoyable.

Why not form some sort of Vanilla PvP league where you set down the rules regarding character and ship makeup. This would then provide PvPers the option of participating within the confines of the rules. The core founding group can decide on the details of the rules and then make them public. You could ask for donations to participate in the competition and those donations could go towards rewards.

It is easier to provide options for players so that they can decide and choose to participate than it is to try to force them all into one certain set of rules.
I don't see any conflict or forced conformity in adding 1 more PVP Queue option for players who can't get a group together a particular night and don't want to go up against a fully coordinated pre-made group.

It's an extra option for flexible game play, which would likely encourage more PVP. Are you against choice? Otherwise I'm unsure of what you are arguing against.

Cheers,
Zoo (D'Zoo)
Rihannsu
# 18
06-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezoo69 View Post
I don't see any conflict or forced conformity in adding 1 more PVP Queue option for players who can't get a group together a particular night and don't want to go up against a fully coordinated pre-made group.

It's an extra option for flexible game play, which would likely encourage more PVP. Are you against choice? Otherwise I'm unsure of what you are arguing against.

Cheers,
Zoo (D'Zoo)
It would not be right or fair for Cryptic to create a public event with private rules. By "private rules" I mean creating any sort of PvP match where the player is limited in using what game assets, attributes or abilities that they might have acquired for their character. Public events should allow you to use any game assets or abilities acquired in game. By public I mean an event queue where any player logged in can queue up for it.

It would be fair or right for players to coordinate and create a private event with private rules. Then you can isolate or dictate what is acceptable ship or stats-wise to participate in the event. You can then enforce your desired choice of how you would like to PvP.

Yes, I am all for choice and having more options to choose from in a game is a wonderful thing.
Survivor of Remus
# 19
06-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyryck View Post
It would not be right or fair for Cryptic to create a public event with private rules. By "private rules" I mean creating any sort of PvP match where the player is limited in using what game assets, attributes or abilities that they might have acquired for their character. Public events should allow you to use any game assets or abilities acquired in game. By public I mean an event queue where any player logged in can queue up for it.

It would be fair or right for players to coordinate and create a private event with private rules. Then you can isolate or dictate what is acceptable ship or stats-wise to participate in the event. You can then enforce your desired choice of how you would like to PvP.

Yes, I am all for choice and having more options to choose from in a game is a wonderful thing.
Well from reading what you've written here, it appears you have nothing against adding an additional PvP Queue option for single players to randomly team up and not have to face a pre-made group. That's great!

Cheers,
Zoo (D'Zoo)
Commander
To the OP, I think you have a great general concept here. I do think, however, that fleet ships should be included in the eligible list. I'm not sure it makes sense to allow certain C-store ships in but not fleet ships. I understand this is going more towards what you and your fleet friends are into, but to appeal to a wider audience more ships should be allowed. Of course if you're able to make your own private queues then by all means do as you wish but for a public queue I think too much restriction is limiting.
Also, paying to make this happen seems very reasonable to me. Something like silver players can pay 500 zen one time for unlimited access and gold members get access as part of sub could work.
The whole pay to win thing is definitely starting to frustrate me and I really do want to enjoy PVP. But the complete lack of balance and power creep is killing things. Especially for new players coming in to PVP for the first time.