Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,228
# 21
06-08-2013, 04:36 AM
I love the idea... now if only I hadn't put my last two million ECs into a warp core for my healboat... I'd be able to buy some non-fleet tets for my Excelsior...
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 50
# 22 Pvp is Just Fine
06-08-2013, 05:22 AM
There is nothing wrong with the way pvp is in this game. If you don't want to fight people that have full rep perks and fleet gear on their ships or have box ships. Just stay out of pvp and do private matches where you can in force your silly idea of what pvp should be. There ya go plain and simple.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 184
# 23
06-08-2013, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby0321 View Post
There is nothing wrong with the way pvp is in this game. If you don't want to fight people that have full rep perks and fleet gear on their ships or have box ships. Just stay out of pvp and do private matches where you can in force your silly idea of what pvp should be. There ya go plain and simple.
That makes no sense and makes PvP an "elitist" thing and we know how well that goes down in other games. PvPers are important members of the community and its important that anyone have access to this feature if they desire it.

How does making PvP accessible to casual players harm you in the slightest.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 50
# 24
06-08-2013, 06:14 AM
You just complain because you can't or don't want to get better at pvp you want to come in and fire your little phasers and roleplay your a Starfleet captain. Well I say to you learn the game mechinc's and get better at pvp or just don't pvp plain and simple.
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 669
# 25
06-08-2013, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby0321 View Post
There is nothing wrong with the way pvp is in this game. If you don't want to fight people that have full rep perks and fleet gear on their ships or have box ships. Just stay out of pvp and do private matches where you can in force your silly idea of what pvp should be. There ya go plain and simple.

Really? Have you played Arena lately? What PVP is now should be no sane persons idea of acceptable.

It's completly full of players using broken console's, exploit combos, insanely stacked resists, nothing but Bug ships and Wells and Temp destroyers and the like. You can't even drop shields anymore, you have to kill your opponent with bleed-through.
Just watch some of the Pandas video's they posted recently. No one on either team died from not having shields, they died from bleed-through hull damage with shields still at %100.
The OP and his fleet (and many others) love PVP but realise with all the cheese out there it has become way too convoluted.
And to the OP: Cryptic will not do anythign to bring something like this about. You will have to create your own chat channel in game and organise this yourself. Cryptic would not do this because if they did no one would play the current PVP areans. Then they would not be able to sell thier broken OP consoles and ships anymore. People could have a great PVP experence and be successful without having to P2W.

I would love to fight in a battle vs players in standard ships and gear. It would come down to skill and player ability, not exploitable builds and gaming keyboards with macro enabled combos that give users hands free %100 uptime and rotation on all abilities. Which sadly is what it takes now to be successful in Arena PVP.

Too bad the Foundry can't be used to create something like this. Where maps are created that only allow ships and gear that the creator pre-determined. If the Foundry could be used to make PVP maps with creator designed rules and requirements it would really enhanse the game.

Last edited by redsnake721; 06-08-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,003
# 26
06-08-2013, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingwarbird View Post
Yeah, I think that's a great idea. Things like this are not hard to integrate into the game and the only reason for Cryptic not to do it is to say "But we cannot make profit out of it... so how do we monterise it?"

Well, to be honest it seems like an easy money situation for Cryptic, as far as I'm concerned.

Here's why: it'll boost the sales of ships that probably stopped selling well because they're getting obsoleted. Such a vanilla pvp mode will give people a reason to buy older ships again. These ships are already introduced and paid for, so any additional sells are pure profit.

I think something like this would be awesome, surely, but imo the biggest advantage that comes with it is that it would introduce a very accessible level of pvp. Nowadays, in unrestricted PvP, a new player without any fleet ships/elite gear/rep boni/lockbox stuff/etc will be sorely challenged to do well. A retro pvp mode will curb some of the gear/rep disadvantages, making it an excellent venue to practice and acquire the skills.

And guess what? Something like this will be a perfect complement to the PvP Boot Camp and be much more attractive to the casual pvp player. I suspect there's lots of people that would love to just hit the queues every once in a while, but are deterred by the sheer gear/rep/etc disparity level, while also not motivated enough to get into the organised PvP groups/channels (might not even know how). I know I can't be bothered to get private queues organised and therefore default to regular queues, hoping to not get facerolled by top premades.
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,080
# 27
06-08-2013, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby0321 View Post
You just complain because you can't or don't want to get better at pvp you want to come in and fire your little phasers and roleplay your a Starfleet captain. Well I say to you learn the game mechinc's and get better at pvp or just don't pvp plain and simple.
thay dont take long to learn.
they involve cheese and more cheese.
and the game mechanics are soo up the left that balancing powers for pvp has left those same powers impotant in pve, even when stacked.

the ability to hit + or - or = isnt any real skill, its using a calculator, and for the massive array of powers available, that pvp results in much fewer of them being useful should tell you where pvp really lies in terms of functional viability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redz4tw View Post
can you say attack pattern angry forumers 3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by baelogventure View Post
Considering Ryan broke 25k in a NX, I expect he could easily pull 10k in an Escape Pod with a Hand Phaser.
Career Officer
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 741
# 28
06-08-2013, 07:48 AM
This sounds similar to Classic PVP.
http://hilbertguide.com
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 85
# 29
06-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Op I love this idea , was talking about it a few weeks ago to my mates , and they also like the idea .

Perhaps the next No Bs tourney could do this , or some sort if fun day
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,247
# 30
06-08-2013, 08:31 AM
Loving that Classic PVP idea... OP do check the link... I think it is pretty straight forward.

One thing, as I have been reading this (and many other) pvp threads... if we wait for cryptic... we will be waiting for a long time, and we can just move from thread to thread to thread.. bemoaning the same thing each time.

Similar to things such as the PVP Bootcamp, I think we (the players) need to take the reigns here, and make these things happen... if we can show that there is interest... support... expand the ranks of PVP participants, then perhaps enhancements will come.

While I understand some are a little jaded, lets try to be helpful, and constructive here. There are some realities that must be accepted, and it will do no good for us to get mired in a bunch of in-fighting that serves no one.

Reality 1) Cryptic is a company, and companies need to make money. Any requested enhancement will go through some research to estimate costs, and expected revenue (be it direct (i.e. PVP Expansion Pack), Indirect (i.e. Additional Ship Sales), and so on. This is normal, healthy... and actually a good thing. They need to pay the devs (and they aren't paid nearly enough to have to deal with the forums :\), pay to upgrade servers, utiltiies, back-ups, co-locations, etc etc etc... simply put, if the game doesn't make money, it will go away.

Reality 2) Not everyone is a PVP God, Demi God, Elite, etc etc... and as a community we need to be more open to new ideas, more open to people interested in PVP. There is such a thing as Sportsmanship, Gamesmanship, etc that should be honored. Shortand sweet.. Be Nice, & Helpful... we want more players... not less...

Reality 3) When you are new to PVP, it is not like PVE... in fact that excellent PVE Build, and Boff skills may not work exceptionally well in PVP. It is highly recommended that you find a PVP Mentor... perhaps consider signing up for the PVP Bootcamp (no affiliation by the way...). Talk to others, read the forums, and seek to improve.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:23 PM.