Survivor of Romulus
As someone who takes great joy from collecting, and putting together a huge wardrobe of outfits... I must say, I'm glad I've had my T'Varro to distract me. Yes. Roaming the stars, taking out my fashion frustration on poor, unsuspecting Tholians, and Borg... as I laugh while flinging red spheres of doom, quoting from "Masque of the Red Death".

..But I digress. Let us look at the absolute chaos, that is the current world of character outfits in STO.

The following are bugs I've observed, experienced, and read about since LoR went live..

1.Costume slots that cannot be worn, or edited. These are outfits that have been previously created, and for some reason, after a beam out, get switched to the default costume. Then the costume you had been wearing can no longer be worn or edited.
This happens several times, to the end that only one or two of your costumes can be worn. For those of us that opted to get many costume slots, this is of great annoyance.

2.Reputation armors can no longer be worn. Of note, I have heard cases where Omega, and Bortasqu, once purchased, cannot be worn. ...Having heard this, I have ceased my efforts to obtain these outfits until this is fixed. Really. What's the point? I just feel bad for those who spent the time, and effort to get these outfits.

The following are problems that may be bugs, mis-sights, or intentional limitations that make no sense.

1. Romulans may not wear eyepatches. Romulans may not wear any head-tech. They may not have facial hair (though stubble seems just fine). Alien-Roms may wear TOS earrings, but not Roms (uh, really?)

2. Colour palettes for Romulans make no discernible sense at all. Some costume pieces have a full palette, some have a mid range palette, and some are limited to the drab, KDF palette. There is no rhyme or reason to which pieces get which palette. In some cases, pieces from the same outfit (Rom TOS, for instance) have different palettes. In some cases palettes available to characters are not available to bridge officers (again, Rom TOS for instance).

The following are ongoing issues that have never been explained, and may be mis-sights or intentional.

1. KDF have an appallingly small number (one? ...two?) of costumes available in the cash shop compared to FEDs (who have what.. a dozen or more?). KDF can't even use the nondescript, off-duty robes.
Please, if you're not going to give the KDF more love, at the very least make future cash shop outfits wearable by ALL factions.

2. There is no complete TOS outfit for KDF, and the few costume pieces offered, aren't quite right. ...Where are the knee high boots? Where are the subtly striped tunics?

3. KDF dusters (long coats). When?

4. KDF hair. When did all Klingons become Rastafarians? We need many more hair options for KDF. Also allowing options for TOS style Klingons.

5. KDF aligned colour palettes.. Why, in the name of Spock's jockey shorts, are Orion courtesan outfits limited to the drab, KDF palette? Where do they buy their lingerie? Victoria's Military Surplus?

6. Speaking of Orion outfits.. Why can't they wear boots with the bare legs option? (much like the tailor, Lyss, does on Ganalda Station) What possible reason could their be for this limitation? ..It's a madhouse. A madhouse, I tell you!

...Anyway. I'm sure there are points I missed.
Please, though. Can we at least get the obvious bugs fixed though? I know, I know. There's a lot to fix right now. ..Just a reminder, some of us like to look our best when saving the galaxy.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-07-2013, 08:57 AM
KDF options do suck.

Come on Cryptic... it's all about the money.
Empire Veteran
# 3
06-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Truly, the tailor is in a bad state right now. I wouldn't mind seeing a dev blog on just costumes - known bugs, what is getting fixed, what is considered 'working as designed.'
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Captain
# 4
06-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miramortale View Post
1.Costume slots that cannot be worn, or edited. These are outfits that have been previously created, and for some reason, after a beam out, get switched to the default costume. Then the costume you had been wearing can no longer be worn or edited.
This happens several times, to the end that only one or two of your costumes can be worn. For those of us that opted to get many costume slots, this is of great annoyance.
Weirdly, I've had my costume slots refunded when it happened.
Quote:
2.Reputation armors can no longer be worn. Of note, I have heard cases where Omega, and Bortasqu, once purchased, cannot be worn. ...Having heard this, I have ceased my efforts to obtain these outfits until this is fixed. Really. What's the point? I just feel bad for those who spent the time, and effort to get these outfits.
Perhaps (oh, please!) they're holding off working STF armor outfits for Romulans until they finish a set of Romulan-only designs that will unlock for both Fed and KDF aligned Romulans.
Quote:
6. Speaking of Orion outfits.. Why can't they wear boots with the bare legs option? (much like the tailor, Lyss, does on Ganalda Station) What possible reason could their be for this limitation? ..It's a madhouse. A madhouse, I tell you!
They can't wear sandals with the Lobi skirts, either.
Lieutenant
# 5
06-07-2013, 09:02 AM
I would like to add one tiny thing. I bought the Warrior's Decorated Skirt for my orion, and I cannot wear it with orion sandals, just with those klingon boots. The funny thing is, the orion ankle jewel (sorry I don't know the proper name), is available (which of course won't fit with those big boots).

Edit.: Sorry, I see now that Mandoknight89 mentiond this as well.

The other thing is with the romulans. Too many outfit restrictions- even with their own clothes, not to mention the ally's and the boffs.

Cryptic: Please we need more outfits/ uniforms for KDF, and Romulan/ Reman side.

In my opinion it totally makes sense to let the players customize their characters with the mix of all of one side's options (FED, or KDF, or ROM+ alliance). In this way everyone could make a more uniqe character/ boffs, and i think that is what everybody always wants in a game.

Last edited by tucker84; 06-07-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Career Officer
# 6
06-07-2013, 09:06 AM
I agree with everything in this thread. What's the point of saving the galaxy if you don't look good doing it?

Oh and since beards for Romulans was brought up again...

Support beards on Romulans TODAY!

BEARDS FOR ALL

What? You guys didn't think I was actually going to stay out of a Beards for Romulans thread did you? Haha.

-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009
Career Officer
# 7
06-07-2013, 09:10 AM
"Boots Soft" are not available for male toons anymore! Also, and this is an old issue, I miss my TOS-era nerf-foam Gorn head.

I'm not one to complain a lot about Cryptic, since I try to stay positive about the great job they've done with STO. So, I really hope that this isn't taken as more rage about the game... but the Tailor and costume consistency problems are pretty severe. Color palates change from item to item, character to character. Costume pieces that should absolutely be available on all characters are not. Costume options that used to be available (soft boots) are just gone for certain characters now. Color option changes on one article of clothing often change the colors on different articles simultaneously (especially with the Korath lobi uniform, and many Romulan uniforms).

And lastly, exchange officers, Diplomatic officers, etc... should REALLY have the option to wear the uniform of the faction with which they're serving. E.G: With my FED crew, my Gorn diplomatic exhange BOFF should be able to wear a starfleet uniform. With my Romulan crew, my starfleet vet reward Android BOFF should be able to wear a Romulan uniform. With my KDF crew, my Breen BOFF should be able to wear a KDF uniform over his body with his helmet sticking out the top (much like the Breen prisoner in 4028 wearing the prisoner geddup). This is near the top of my list of complaints for STO. Uniformity among my crew is very important.

But all in all, STO is moving forward nicely. I just wish some of these problems would be addressed. Real customization of characters is very important to us. It is what gives the community members a sense of individualism. I just wish we had the freedom to make the characters exactly as we should be able to.
Vice Admiral Aznia Deet, Federation Ambassador, U.S.S. Federalist

Last edited by azniadeet; 06-07-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
06-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Also forgot to mention the silliness that is kits... Though I think I read somewhere that they're redesigning how kit visuals will work.

I certainly don't expect everything to be addressed at once.. Though as Naevius pointed out, a dev blog on what the deal is would be awfully nice.
...And a word from someone that they at least acknowledge the costume slot bug, and are doing something about it would ease my dismay.
Career Officer
# 9
06-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Lots of legitimate issues in this thread. The one that bugs me the most is - always has been, really - the colour palettes. Not only the mismatched palettes seen on the Romulan Republic side (TOS uniforms being the perfect example), but the limitations on the KDF side as well (all I ever wanted was to dress my Orion in green...).
Career Officer
# 10
06-07-2013, 12:10 PM
I am BOGGLED that the Privateer uniforms aren't wearable by the KDF and Romulans, in their entirety! Aside from the fact that they make sense in terms of a Klingon aesthetic, they are seen being worn by KLINGON NPC'S!!!!!

I'm guessing part of the reason the color/texture palettes don't match is that we have different artists working on things at different times.

The quick and OBVIOUS fix for this is to simply OPEN UP THE COLOR WHEEL.

Done. Fixed.