Captain
# 1 Conscience and Disrepute
06-14-2013, 05:03 AM
I live in a country where over the course of the last two years I have watch the near extinction of the majestic Rhino from our land because of the actions of a few self-serving men.

There is nothing noble about their slaughter, the carnage left in their wake.

This gets me thinking about certain actions by certain groups and individuals in PvP.

I am sure that all of you know what I mean.

Some folks who will happily bring PvP into disrepute if only to satisfy their own sense of self-aggrandizement. Here's the thing.

I don't respect that. I will not entertain that behavior ever. It drives new players away from PvP. It alienated novice players, and gives sanction to the rest of the communities disdain towards PvPers.

It is sad really, because what they leave behind is a wounded community - a community that cannot applaud their victors for their wins, because the underlying trust and integrity that holds PvP together is threatened every time the next known exploit, or broken power/ weapon is discovered and bound enmasse.

Today, I must say - I am ashamed to be associated with the PvP community. The malice and "look-at-me" attitude sickens me.

Had I known that PvP was such a popularity pageant frankly I would have worn a prom dress.

So, suck-it-up, get back on the field - and start to rebuild PvP into what it deserves to be.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 06-14-2013 at 05:28 AM.
Captain
# 2
06-14-2013, 06:00 AM
Agreed. A good point of view to take. Still, I personally sometimes have trouble restraining my ego, and I may have contributed to the problem. I regret anything I've done to offend everyone, and I wish I could be more tactful. I'm working on it.

Can we have a 'like' button for the forums, please?
Take it easy!

Ishmael@scurry5: A Nibbling Sci
"Squeak?"
Career Officer
# 3
06-14-2013, 06:07 AM
As much as LoR grind and recent drama has drained my will to play this game, I'm not going to delude myself into thinking I'm going to quit for good after previous attempts to do so have failed.

Great post by the way, drkfrontiers.
Behold, The Jorf Guide
Captain
# 4
06-14-2013, 06:21 AM
I have to agree.
I'll admit I'm pretty vocal, not because I'm losing or its not going my way but because a lot of the time its just down right ridiculous what's happening.
Sadly my conscience is quite strong which is why I refuse to use skills like warp plasma or theta, knowing full well its glitched graphically, there are a few other things I refuse to use due to the inherent broken nature of them.
The downside is, the 'elite' in the PvP community don't share that sentiment and insist on using any and all of the known bugged equipment and skills enmasse to make it even more a horrible experience for anyone without a high powered premade behind them.
Some of the stuff being used now is so bad, the ones using it don't even need skill to win. They just spam the bejesus out of you instead.

When you look at certain threads of 'such and such is OP', the first ones to defend it are the ones who rely on it, then to further the insult claim everyone else must adapt to it (which normally requires a respec, new equipment etc). Sometimes the call for 'nerf' is wrong but many a time it is justified.

It does feel like to us mere mortals have to bow and scrape to the few who seem to get it their way.
One fleet in particular springs to mind on this, they shall remain nameless due to rules.
Rihannsu
# 5
06-14-2013, 07:53 AM
I share many of your sentiments drk, well said. I have no clue what to do about it.

Here is to another one burned out by drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
As much as LoR grind and recent drama has drained my will to play this game, I'm not going to delude myself into thinking I'm going to quit for good after previous attempts to do so have failed.

Great post by the way, drkfrontiers.
hah had me going there for a moment....
what would forum pvp be without you.
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
06-14-2013, 08:53 AM
I will admit that I do not PVP as much as i used to... this is partially due to the so called elitist PvP fleets that say they don't use this or that ability because its bugged or broken only to see thier 5 man premade team spamming said abilities.... add to the fact that more times than not I have not been told good game by my opponents win or lose but if they win there is chest thumping and being called a newb and told go back to PvE if they lose they call me a cheat and accused of using hax..... so for the most part I stay away from PvP to avoid this so called self appointed elitist mentality I encounter more and more.... you want to PvP and you want PvP community to grow you need to drop the elitist mentality and stop with the chest thumping and accusatory mentalities and just suck up a loss say good game and move on.... you win, try helping the losing team with "helpful" suggestions instead of saying "go back to pve" (go back to the valley man)... until this elitist attitude changes pvp will always be stagnant....
Major Xi'Zzin
I.R.W. Raptor's Claw
Storm Eagle Class Warbird Fleet Ha'feh
I have never trusted humans, and I never will
Career Officer
# 7
06-14-2013, 09:22 AM
I find myself in total agreement.
Captain
# 8
06-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Quite the post you have there, unfortunately I'm a pessimist.

I firmly believe that this such thing will continue as long as there's groups of people out there that only believe in the "I Win, You Lose,, exploit, haxzor, rofllol, trash talk, trololol" mentality that, in my honest opinion, too many online gamers have.
Constant exposure to the same opinions leads to continual reinforcement of ideas until eventually, any challenge, no matter what form it takes, is going to be met with a disproportionate sense of outrage. Room for reasoned discussion can no longer occur.

Empire Veteran
# 9
06-14-2013, 10:10 AM
I'm also in agreement, Drk.

I haven't been playing the game as much since LoR hit. I have barely PvPed at all since it hit as well.

I do feel much in the same way though. I have gotten quite tired of this whole wave of negativity since LoR hit the game. Both from non-PvPers, and PvPers for various reasons.

Career Officer
# 10
06-14-2013, 10:32 AM
If only you were around when QEW was.

Then we really had serious drama. Threads being closed and vendettas out the ass.

Click here and here if you are interested in learning more about PvP.