There was a little debate on whether the newest addition to STO is good or not on OPvP. Some say it can't tanked and way too squishy, others beg to differ. I maintain that with the right spec, the Risian Corvette can tank very well. So we put the theory to a test against a very good Bug player, Stormshadow, in a private 1 vs. 1
Some additional info on the equipment. Storm was using Borg 2 sets + Elite Fleet Shield. He countered my speed with Graviton Pulse and Plasmonic Leech. I was using Adapted MACO 2 pieces + a hyper engine, 2 field generator MK XII and all passive consoles (no AMS, Graviton pulse, theta radiation, none of these, just passive) + Risian Wake console. I believe he said his weapon is Polaron based, can't recall exactly.
- There was close calls on both sides during a match that lasted about 15-20 minutes
- The Corvette can definitely outrun the Bug to safety though not obviously, if the bug knows what he is doing
- Good bug like Storm can manage to keep the Corvette in his firing arc but at much reduced effectiveness
- At first, Storm was doing decent damages but the Corvette adapted and as the match prolonged, his weapon failed to pierce shields as he struggled to maintain his firing arc
- Corvette can shield & speed tank against very heavy fire power even with just one shield heal, albeit a very good on
- Corvette's hull strength is more than sufficient to dog fight but you need to have back up in case you get ganked
- Tractor beam was very effective against the bug when its APO expire as the bug will lose its firing arc struggling to break free and allow plasma torps and mines to catch the bug
- At such high speed chase, the difference between fore and aft arc become meaningless, you are exposed to all firing arc at all time against the corvette. As such, Corvette should not spec turret in the rear but slow yet powerful weapons that can do real damages as the arc is no issue
Conclusion : There is not one ship that is better than the other. Despite the result, the match was essentially a tie. In a team context, they will both excel at doing attack runs in different ways. Corvette is a little more survivable because in crunch, it can get away zoom past anything and everything at 3 times more than the average full impulse speed of most other ships. Bug can achieve higher dps in theory but the Corvette's console space is more balanced and allowed more than one Field Generator to be used while the Bug cannot.
Special thanks to Stormshadow for taking part in the test, a very respectable player.
I doubt it ..can you imagine the uproar that would happen if the best selling class of ships got a nerf? Cryptics not stupid, they would never kill the golden goose as it'd sound like escorteers were 'losing' it - it'd be on the same magnitude as if they woke up one morning to find dhcs had been nerfed :p
I was surprised though to find out kdf bops do not get the bonus defence yet romulan bops have it...
wow, something op is more attractive than something thats scudded. wow.
what you just said is
"starcraft would be a great game if they hadnt fixed zerg rushing."
you need to look up the definition of an unchecked positive loop(its like the serial killer of mmorpgs) and see how it applies to escorts.
-star trek online minimum DPS requirement vortex probe hp = 62365 x3 = 187095. speed = 0.8 km/s(about) giving about 25 seconds to kill them while in range, this means you need an effective DPS output of 7484, or your build is a failure. Star Trek canon depictions of battle: 1000km in dialogue = 1km on screen.