Career Officer
# 1 A True Romulan Legacy
06-12-2013, 04:31 AM
Most people want it, many more expected we'd get it when news of Romulans first hit our screens. As it stands however, the Legacy of Romulus expansion doesn't really differ too much from playing within the Federation or Klingon factions. Come level #50, the only thing a Romulan player has that is unique is a ship, the ability to play as a Romulan or Reman, and some costumes.

Bridge Officers are limited (and for the most part, unobtainable), the Duty Officer Assignments are practically a carbon copy of the chosen alliance (FED/KDF) and we're walking around Earth / Qo'nos as a former citizen of the grand Star Empire.

What incentive does anyone have to stick at a Romulan Character when end-game, they're a copy of an already existing Federation or Klingon character? The only advantage I know of (this is from reading forum comments) is that Romulan Ships have a distinct advantage in PvP (subjective, I've yet to have the experience). What incentive is there going to be for other people to create other characters for other (potential) factions if they're all following the same procedure and aren't standing out as unique.

Romulans need their true independence, and I'm writing this, in an optimistic spirit that Cryptic will do something about their current state within the game. Add a Romulan Starbase in the Tau Dewa Sector, add assignments that reward us with Romulan Boffs and Doffs (you could make extra zen sales here with Romulan Doff packages, in addition to further sales for other unique Bridge Officers). Remove our ability to travel to Starfleet Academy or the Klingon First City.

I expect that'll be a lot of work, considering that you've already integrated the Romulans to work this way, yet it really needs to be done. If you truly wish to create a bunch of mini factions, that's great, I hope it works out for you, but the Romulans need to stand on their own. Why (as a Romulan) are we being forced to choose between two factions, both of which are aiding our cause? It doesn't make any sort of sense.

From a purely selfish point of view, I've always thought of Trek as a three way struggle between the Federation, Klingons and Romulans. Yes, we've had the Borg, and we've had the Dominion, but in truth if there would have been a full scale war between the Cardassians and Federation the Federation would have wiped the floor with the Cardassians; they were always too light on resources and subsequently needed the help of the Dominion to make their ultimate stance.

The three big players are, and always have been the Federation, the Klingons and the Romulans. STO only gives us two out of the three. I've also read on the forums (and I believe through one of the Ask Cryptic responses too) that a Romulan Faction success would somewhat depend upon sales. There are also comments relating to how you guys (Cryptic) envision this game as a two way struggle between the Federation and Klingon, thus not actually having any concern whether or not the Romulans are truly involved. They were most likely created because of fan demand. I've asked the question (via Ask Cryptic) several times on this, not got a response yet.

Think back to initial plans, the KDF were to be a PvP only faction. Because of fan demand, they were developed to a full faction. I'd suggest now that fan demand would like the Romulans to go on their own path, without the assistance of the Federation, Klingon, Cardassian, Fish People, Spaghetti Monster etc

I'm all for sticking it with D'Tan and the Republic, I just don't want Romulans walking around on Earth or Qo'nos all whilst flying Federation or Klingon ships. Please make the split before the end of the year (if not sooner).

Last edited by flash525; 06-12-2013 at 04:35 AM. Reason: word dyslexia
Ensign
# 2
06-14-2013, 08:07 PM
Amen, brother! Bring us our true freedom! Not pigeon hole us into joining a faction with which does not have our best interest at heart! Bring back the glory of the former Star Empire but with true democracy! :[
Captain
# 3
06-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
Bridge Officers are limited (and for the most part, unobtainable), the Duty Officer Assignments are practically a carbon copy of the chosen alliance (FED/KDF) and we're walking around Earth / Qo'nos as a former citizen of the grand Star Empire.
Yep I hate that Bridge Officer Recruitment missions are for Fed/Klingon Officers based on your alliance instead of actual Romulan/Reman Officers.
Career Officer
# 4
06-14-2013, 08:42 PM
I wanted to help Sela...
Be all dark side in the Tal Shiar.. one lost opportunity there Cryptic!
Leader of Quantum Gaming.
Join us @ www.quantum-collective.com!

Ensign
# 5
06-14-2013, 08:53 PM
If Romulus had not went BOOM when the Hobus Superova happened, I would be right with this, but in the time period set for this game, Romulus is gone, the Ole Mighty Romulan Star Empire is in peices.... It's the way it is, and Romulus is not gonna just come back, so get used to how the game is and stop whining.... If you don't like what they have done, go find another Star Trek game thats better, or another MMORPG if it floats your boats....
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
06-14-2013, 08:54 PM
I like the Republic. Get the BOff recruitment assignments into the game and rework the last few missions of the Elachi arc, and save the Romulans from having to do the rather awful Nimbus story, and I'll mark the Romulan leveling experience as pretty much exactly what I want.
Republic Veteran
# 7
06-14-2013, 09:04 PM
More of this? -_-

If one were to believe the forums, everything that is good about this game would in fact be some massive detriment, the devs would be incompetent morons who hate Star Trek, everyone would hate the game for being un-treklike, etc. etc.

I think most people who post here are from Opposite Land.
____
STO community Doom-O-Meter: ||||||||| >> WARNING <<
Lieutenant
# 8
06-14-2013, 09:16 PM
We didn't get Romulans, we got Vulcans 2.0, which is pretty sad.
Lieutenant
# 9
06-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderkassy View Post
More of this? -_-

If one were to believe the forums, everything that is good about this game would in fact be some massive detriment, the devs would be incompetent morons who hate Star Trek, everyone would hate the game for being un-treklike, etc. etc.

I think most people who post here are from Opposite Land.
I think Opposite Land is reality. But sure, yeah, this is exactly what i had in mind.
Career Officer
# 10
06-14-2013, 09:28 PM
The next big update should include new doff assignments to recruit Romulan and Reman Boffs, which is good. And I'm hoping Romulan doff packs will be up in the C-Store soon.

Identity is very lacking with the Romulan "faction" right now. Half of my crew is literally Starfleet, which is dumb. As soon as Romulan doffs and boffs are more plentiful I'm shoving my Fed officers out the airlock.

I also think the new plasma ground weapon types should be restricted to Romulan faction characters only. (unless they already are but haven't seen it yet)
@HyperLimited