Career Officer
Or rather they seem to think that the typical 30-40+ gamer is growing out of the MMO Genre.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/01...-of-the-genre/

Personally I agree with some of the commenter's and is something Cryptic does indeed need to watch out for. The older generation do tend to stick with things they like and only really leave if they are forced out through whatever means such as the servers shutting down. Of course developers also tend to force out the older generations who by virtue of their ages do not tend to have the aggression, time or agility of a younger player. What this means is that if developers lock gear behind content which will take a long single sitting to acquire then we will not try for them - after all why bother to get it if we have little chance of getting to the end due to lack of time? It is through the continual placing of content in this manner that people decide there is too much of the game out of reach and so is time to call it a day.

STO is not so bad on this front right now as the STF's got changed to a much more friendly time duration, but in my opinion putting too much content in gambling boxes is what will drive me away personally.

Another issue for me is the concept of forced PvP, as is required in the winter event to get the Eppoh tags. I was always a cooperative type of gamer and some content such as STF's and Gingerbread colony do appeal to that but they will not get me tags. I am forced to again take issue with other people when I would rather work with them to accomplish goals. Developers do force people to do far too much which is not fun and I think that is what will drive the older, more affluent gamers away from MMO's.

So after reading the article do you have any reactions to it?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neriz --- Eleven --- S'alesh --- Nizalay and maybe the odd Fed char too.
Defecting from the Federation to the Romulans from May 21st
Captain
# 2
01-06-2014, 03:02 PM
If Capcom's core audience is in their late 30s and 40s, then these are players that are not going to outgrow video games. People outgrow their video games in their late teens, college, or when they get married and have a family not in their late 30s. Capcom's core audience will still be playing video games when they are in a resting home.

As for as forced PvP goes, I find the Gingerbread colony to be forced PvP since you compete with your teammates to get the candies or rescue the gingerbread people first. The only portions that seems to be cooperative is killing the Yeti and Baron.
Career Officer
# 3
01-06-2014, 03:04 PM
even the 50+ year young members on the game understand after working years of their lives earning what they became that a small piece of happiness to focus on like mmo's can be a welcome change from the usual pace but my father is almost 70 and he has nothing to do with his life but sit in front of a computer playing movies and tv series, watching the news from time to time and eggheads, i sometimes worry about his well being. after personally observing him for years i can say for certain that the elder community members i would think like to get involved in something that interests them then wasting away having a negative outlook on everything.

but yes there comes a point where one outgrows what would be described as a "variation on a theme", that games are all the same thing and a waste of time that could of been better spent in real life. i am actually not far from this thinking myself, just dropping the games and changing perspectives and im only in my 20's. to me it's already all one and the same and people get all excited about fluff crap and it completely confuses the hell out of me, meanwhile this grinding thing is just an illusion which i have never had any interest in. Then this ridiculous ignore feature that is way too easy to exploit for personal gain, i never saw the point in it.

im afraid cryptic has already dug it's hole and placed it's tombstone, there is no way back for this much like a few other mmos i have played, swtor and wot. i mean with wot, they messed up with a lot of things and distancing themselves from the community didnt help matters either, swtor brought out galactic starfighter, played and was so disorientating with all that blur effect and ultra sharp movement from the mouse, i left the pvp match to recover from it. to me it was another terrible idea and a variation on a theme as pvp already existed and it was just the same thing with fighters. sto has this winter event and the frosted boots players using the quick jumping to maximum effect to win races was just one of the major headlines for the community to salivate over.

still a few games i hold close, wolf et, ttd, freelancer. the fondest memories of all. better stop, or il be crying for the good old days and the nostalgia of it.
Joined STO late 2010. Bought starter pack LoR & LTS 2013.
Proud owner of a Targ pup to a federation character.
T6 Miranda FTW! Hope to see Miranda Class made a T6 hero ship.
Commander
# 4
01-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirlettia View Post
Or rather they seem to think that the typical 30-40+ gamer is growing out of the MMO Genre.
Single-player and offline games are better. When you are between the ages of 25 and 40, you have to deal with a full-time job, bills, and family. Single-player games allow you to play indefinitely, get rewarded frequently, and save money.

$60 on an MMO gets you nothing. Its a rental with excessive grinding.

$60 on a single-player game gets you endless replays. Its ownership with endless rewards. Game modders help single-player games to exceed past the replay value of an MMO.

Price of two digital 'STO' ships can buy you an entirely new single-player game.

Plus, the price to buy a game console is insane. You might as well just buy or upgrade a computer.

Last edited by venkou; 01-06-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Captain
# 5
01-06-2014, 06:32 PM
I disagree with their assumption as I know plenty of gamers within 25-40 playing games and working jobs and lives. I myself am in that range about now.
Empire Veteran
# 6
01-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Is kind of funny they say that because most people I play with are most likely in the 30-50 year old range. Not to knock the younger generations but they don't last long with me lol.
Captain
# 7
01-06-2014, 06:44 PM
We're not outgrowing games, we're just outgrowing Capcom games.

;_; I was never good at Street Fighter...

Helpful Tools: Dictionary.com - Logical fallacies - Random generator - Word generator - Color tool - Extra Credits - List of common English language errors - Big booty tutorial - Also, follow me on Twitter!
Career Officer
# 8
01-06-2014, 07:05 PM
I don't agree, and I'm in the age group they are talking about:

I can't ever see me not playing computer games, and STO has spawned two of my other hobbies in the shape of the ship charts and video making.

STO is my little escape into fantasy. Why would I ever give it up?

For Ship Charts and Videos - STARFISH1.CO.UK
Rihannsu
# 9
01-06-2014, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
If Capcom's core audience is in their late 30s and 40s, then these are players that are not going to outgrow video games.
They will.

The problem with MMO is they are stuck on the EQ demographics mentality that is early-mid twenties and that does a constant change, PWE wants to bring their MMO to consoles so we will get twitch gaming instead of the more traditional RPG element, we get 3rd person shooters in RPG clothing and not actual MMORPGs.

The "core audience" is constant betrayed because the contrast attempt at the fleeting demographic that will outgrown them, the ones that still play on their late 30's and 40's are on the fast track to be very cynical and jaded.

I dont know how old you are but if you are in this as long as some of us have we all seen the changes, you want a example of how things have changed? look at Final Fantasy IX ... now look at Final Fantasy XIII.

I might not outgrown videogames but I am pretty close because my demographics apparently its not worth a cent ...
Romulans ...
You start your career off as a simple farmer... then you launch yourself into a galaxy filled with intrigue, power plays, and high stakes games of interstellar conflict, as your career careens upwards onto your final destination ... a level capped Dilithium and Fleet Mark Farmer!
Captain
# 10
01-06-2014, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
If Capcom's core audience is in their late 30s and 40s, then these are players that are not going to outgrow video games. People outgrow their video games in their late teens, college, or when they get married and have a family not in their late 30s. Capcom's core audience will still be playing video games when they are in a resting home.
I don't think Capcom knows what its core audience is, apart from pro Street Fighter players. I mean, there is a certain demographic that is still holding out for a certain blue robot...