Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Closed Thread

Career Officer
# 11
06-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Speaking of a great reference... not THOOSE were great, canon-worthy games.
Yup, and I'll always hold thm in high regard.
And for atmosphere I'm afraid I'll measure all other Trek games against them.
Rihannsu
# 12
06-12-2013, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
I've never understood this argument for canoninity. I'm not arguing that STO is canon, but being made by fans certainly isn't what determines this. If CBS made a new ST Series today, you can bet your life there'd be fans involved in it's production. Even on TNG, Whoopi was on the show because she was a fan of TOS.

And by that logic, the JJ movies ARE canon, because JJ isn't a ST fan?
CBS has the say on what is cannon and not CBS says <<part>> of JJ movies is cannon not the whole movies mainly the star trek countdown whoopi is a actress not a director not a writer and is not CBS did ya know commander riker was not a fan had not seen one EP before his debut on TNG?

and also last thing that had fans doing it star trek nemesis comes to mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.

Last edited by daan2006; 06-12-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 13
06-12-2013, 09:16 AM
I've always seen canon as kind of an all-you-can-eat buffet. You got
-5 Live Action TV Shows
-12 Movies
-The Animated Series
-Books
-Comic Books
-Video Games
-Fan Fiction
-Fan Films
-RPGs
-etc

Each individual fan can pick and choose what they want. So if you want to consider STO canon, sure why not! If you don't want to acknowledge episode 5x04 of TNG but do want to acknowledge such and such comic book, go for it!

IDIC, right?
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.

Last edited by drogyn1701; 06-12-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 14
06-12-2013, 09:17 AM
Gene Roddenberry was a Fan, Gene Roddenberry created Star Trek, ergo Star Trek is not canon.
Empire Veteran
# 15
06-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reximuz View Post
Gene Roddenberry was a Fan, Gene Roddenberry created Star Trek, ergo Star Trek is not canon.
And suddenly the brains of a thousand Trekkies imploded.
Nick - Human Tactical Officer - FED [INACTIVE]
Tenix - Romulan Science Officer - KDF Ally [INACTIVE]
M'ossa - Ferasan Science Officer - KDF [MAIN]

Formerly known on the forums as Remissus
Career Officer
# 16
06-12-2013, 09:24 AM
It's not just canon it's Dual Heavy Canon

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Captain
# 17
06-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Quote:

Illogical example. Because of the second part of that. He created it. The creator sets canon in every IP. Show one time a creator had zero input on what is canon. When you do, then your example would be logical.

If the creator isn't a fan, then the creator wouldn't create it in the first place. Again, flawed.

And STO is not canon and will never be canon. It draws from canon material but everything that is STO exclusive is not canon. And only people with delusions of grandeur even believe the characters they make for this game or the events in this game is actually hardcoded into Star Trek canon.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
Rihannsu
# 18
06-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Quote:
I see him more as the God of star trek next to Q then a fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Starfleet Veteran
# 19
06-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Gene Roddenberry was a Fan, Gene Roddenberry created Star Trek, ergo Star Trek is not canon.::Mic Drop::
Fixed that for you.
Formerly known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012

If the KDF can get a Fleet D7, the Feds should have a Fleet Exeter.
Survivor of Romulus
# 20
06-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthstormstrike View Post
If the creator isn't a fan, then the creator wouldn't create it in the first place.
Plenty of people have created something just for the paycheck or other motivation than just cause they are a fan of what they've written/filmed. I read once that Thomas Harris wrote a novel he didn't particularly like (Hannibal Rising) mainly cause the movie studio that wanted to make the film threatened to have someone else do it.

Now I don't think that would apply in Gene's case, but still.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Closed Thread