Lt. Commander
# 21
06-12-2013, 07:53 PM
The spheres since the revamp are just annoying. Nothing is harder, its just another annoying time sink in a game that already as to many.

As for ground combat....I remember this game from about 2000. It had better ground combat that was more immersive and had better cut-scenes. Think about that. Interface and AI were certainly much better 13 years ago.
Captain
# 22
06-12-2013, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
Some people simply dislike Ground and make almost no investment in it.

I have 8 Aliens and a Reman. Each Alien has a single Ground Trait, because they couldn't take a 9th Ground Trait. The only Ground Trait the Reman has is the Species Trait.

8 Space/1 Ground.

None of them have more than the allowed min 66k Skill Points spent in Ground.

300k Space/66k Ground.
A lot of people dislike ground because it is more difficult and teamwork is more important and your more active.

If that is not why you dislike it so much what is your reason?
Commander
# 23
06-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalericdavid View Post
A lot of people dislike ground because it is more difficult and teamwork is more important and your more active.

If that is not why you dislike it so much what is your reason?
Me personally i prefer ground over space, but i equally like the too.
Mostly all of STO hates ground just because they dont have the skills for it.
Ground can be just as difficult as space.
You just gotta use your abilities at the right time,and teamwork does help a lot for the most part.
But fighting the borg in ground combat is fun, there slow, and all you have to do is put a weapons malfunction, if you got it, and your golden

"You dare challenge me?"

"This is Fleet Commander BumBle!..
Vice Admiral of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..
I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
Captain
# 24
06-13-2013, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
Some people simply dislike Ground and make almost no investment in it.

I have 8 Aliens and a Reman. Each Alien has a single Ground Trait, because they couldn't take a 9th Ground Trait. The only Ground Trait the Reman has is the Species Trait.

8 Space/1 Ground.

None of them have more than the allowed min 66k Skill Points spent in Ground.

300k Space/66k Ground.
The game is balanced around the 300k Space/66k Ground specs .
No one has more than that , no one has less .

Before the skill tree revamp , ppl could pour all their skill points into either space or ground (with some points left for space) .
And then ... when ppl poured all their points into space , we had to "drag" some players across the ground portions of STF's .

As to the Traits Revamp , I still have not chosen any more traits then I've had and I'm still doing ok in STF's .
(I'm waiting for some feedback on which traits seem to be good/bad before I choose , as I don't want to frack up 20+ characters)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebush View Post
You just gotta use your abilities at the right time,and teamwork does help a lot for the most part.
Yeah , it's amazing how many new players think that their kits and team buff powers are there to be used whenever ... (if ever) .
Those things can be critical to a good team ... , but because in the rest of the PVE content those powers / abilities don't matter much , ppl just don't use them and get used to not using them .
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .

Last edited by aelfwin1; 06-13-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Lieutenant
# 25
06-13-2013, 02:30 AM
Yeah the Borg running at the first opportunity is not very Borg-like, and is very annoying, especially when several get stuck on the gate and you can't target them, just the gate (thus giving you aggro).

As far as ground combat goes, Swtor has got ground combat right, but their space combat is poor. STO has great space combat and mechanics, but ground is bad (just isn't fluid enough).
The FPS view is good for targeting but restricts your periphery too much, while I find the freestyle view much better, it's hard to see what you have targeted.

Most of the ground stfs are just too complicated and time consuming for pugs compared to space stfs and Fleet actions which has a much smoother learning curve. The number of ground pugs I've done when the team had to disband because no one knew what to do next, or the maps/tasks are too convoluted, are numerous.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-13-2013, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngazman View Post
Well I can understand why you wouldn't have had much experience since. Infected Ground is a swine, especially on Elite if you're going for the optional.

There are people doing it, but due to it's issues of usually taking longer and being easier to fail the optionals. That said, you do get more marks - both as a reward and as an optional reward - for ground missions.

If you are looking to do ground missions, PublicEliteSTF is the best place to look and ask.
Yes PublicEliteSTF, is the way to go if doing a ground STF (and fleet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelfwin1 View Post
The game is balanced around the 300k Space/66k Ground specs .

Yeah , it's amazing how many new players think that their kits and team buff powers are there to be used whenever ... (if ever) .
Those things can be critical to a good team ... , but because in the rest of the PVE content those powers / abilities don't matter much , ppl just don't use them and get used to not using them .
I have ground (100.000 ground), space (300.000) and middle builds, (78.000 ground).
Just do colont invasion with tac's 95 % of tac don't use there tactical init, even when i ask a couple times.
Keybind: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...&postcount=463
Bone1970 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
Bone Trader don't belief in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
Bone2 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. KDF Eng.
Warning: Not a native English-speaker, sorry if my English sucks.

Last edited by martin1970giesen; 06-13-2013 at 02:42 AM.
Captain
# 27
06-13-2013, 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypl View Post
The recent EptX changes have resulted in the spheres constantly spamming them and running away. They don't really fight much anymore, just run all over the place. So unless your team has some snares, more time will be wasted just chasing the bastards down. Other than that, not much has changed.
^this

plus there are loads of new and returning players who have no idea about nothing
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
Captain
# 28
06-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin1970giesen View Post
I have ground (100.000 ground), space (300.000) and middle builds, (78.000 ground).
Just do colont invasion with tac's 95 % of tac don't use there tactical init, even when i ask a couple times.
Yes their are a lot of crappy tactical players on ground. I remember once on the Romulan Mine Trap mission I was a tac and all 4 of the other players that was on the same team was tac and I was the only person using that ability and I noticed it and then explained to them that we could chain tactical initiative so that we can constantly shorten all are abilities and spam them.

Well they did not listen and I had to remind them multiple times with a copy and paste message and finally 1 of them started using it but none of the others. I just don't know why when people play on the ground they are so stupid and don't use abilities much. In space I always see people using abilities but not on ground just makes no sense to me.