Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 585
# 1 The KDF. Ohjesuswhatamidoing
06-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Decided to play my KDF character that i made a very long time ago (I got him to lvl 50 then quit)


Ok, now i want to play him properly(I want to have a go with a proper carrier, The Vesta is a bit naff), i don't actually know what's going on, as it seems the playstyle is a fair bit different to what i'm used too.
I have some questions, which hopefully some seasoned KDF veterans can help me out with!


1.) What fighter pets are good? I went with 2 Mirror birds of preys, because i can actually keep track of them!

2.) What's this about extra contraband income? How? And is it still exchangeable for 2000 dilithium? (I haven't tried to fly to DS9 without my adapted engines, i'm not sure i could bear it)

3.) What's the best layout to go with on the vo'quv? It threw me off as it's Scienceish but turns like a brick. (Cannons/beams ect)

4.) Any good English fleets out there? I tried a couple that invited me at Droanza, but they are German and i don't have the faintest idea what they are saying?

5.) Sweet mother of god why is everyone so violent? All i wanted to do was discharge a boff, Not execute him! Couldn't i just talk to those federation ships?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We won't go back, you don't know what its like in our Universe, the original timeline had gone, JJ Abrahms is everywhere"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rylanadionysis View Post
just shut up
Career Officer
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 486
# 2
06-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by latiasracer View Post
5.) Sweet mother of god why is everyone so violent? All i wanted to do was discharge a boff, Not execute him! Couldn't i just talk to those federation ships?
You are Klingon! Not some pasty-faced Earther peddling liquids for the sick.
Ensign
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 17
# 3
06-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by latiasracer View Post
Decided to play my KDF character that i made a very long time ago (I got him to lvl 50 then quit)


Ok, now i want to play him properly(I want to have a go with a proper carrier, The Vesta is a bit naff), i don't actually know what's going on, as it seems the playstyle is a fair bit different to what i'm used too.
I have some questions, which hopefully some seasoned KDF veterans can help me out with!


1.) What fighter pets are good? I went with 2 Mirror birds of preys, because i can actually keep track of them!

2.) What's this about extra contraband income? How? And is it still exchangeable for 2000 dilithium? (I haven't tried to fly to DS9 without my adapted engines, i'm not sure i could bear it)

3.) What's the best layout to go with on the vo'quv? It threw me off as it's Scienceish but turns like a brick. (Cannons/beams ect)

4.) Any good English fleets out there? I tried a couple that invited me at Droanza, but they are German and i don't have the faintest idea what they are saying?

5.) Sweet mother of god why is everyone so violent? All i wanted to do was discharge a boff, Not execute him! Couldn't i just talk to those federation ships?
1: If you have the Vo'Quv the Birds of Prey (BoP's) are very good. The very best fighters are the Romulan ultra-elites from T5 Rom Rep, quite probably the Tholian from T5 Nukara rep, or if you have access to a T5 Fleet science facility theres. You can also buy (for dil) from the dil store > Ship Equipment > Hangers (iirc) a purple version of pets

2: Klingons generate a large amount of contraband due to all there kill/hack/slay missions (see 5. below and the answer above ). You can still turn in 5 contraband for 2k dil at Qo'nos, Ganalda (in Eta Eridani), and DS9

3: No simple answer - go and search the Klingon shipyard forums for Vo'quv fits - I have mine with polarons galore and as much turn as I can eek out of it as most Sci powers are 90deg arc (well the ones I use) so I dont use beams. This means you need to use half impulse and reverse turning < both exactly what they say - you turn much faster this way and is pretty vital for anyone flying large ships to master this.

4: Search the section on the forums or just keep your ear out whilst hanging around

5: You are klingon! Actually because a lot of the best contraband missions, and the prisoner offload missions also coincide with areas where you get your 3 "extra" recruitment missions (Gorn/Naus/Orion from your personal tab) you do tend to have lots of "useless" white doffs (think Civilians here). I carry 5-6 arround just waiting for that mutiny/changeling spy moment for the massicve extra dil boost

Hope that helps.
Commander
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 432
# 4
06-11-2013, 05:44 PM
The Orion slaver pets have a chance to generate contraband for you, so you can get obscene amounts between that and Doff missions.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 156
# 5
06-11-2013, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jornado View Post
The Orion slaver pets have a chance to generate contraband for you, so you can get obscene amounts between that and Doff missions.
Normal Slavers don't. You need either the Advanced Slavers (from the dil store), or the Fleet ones.
_____________________________________
-Disenchanted-
"But in-game I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason you were brought into the forums, that by knowing me here for a little, you might know me better there."
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 357
# 6
06-12-2013, 06:13 AM
The Vo'quv plays more like a Cruiser than a Science Vessel, so you have to keep that in mind. However, it doesn't have quite the same durability as a Cruiser: it has more hull than a Negh'var, but it only has one Engineering Boff slot, one less Boff slot entirely, and one less Engineering console. You'll passively survive better than a cruiser would, but it's the active abilities that actually make a cruiser tough to crack.

You'll want Science boffs with good crowd-control (Gravity Well) and good shield heals (Science Team). Beam weaponry & turrets are best; one torpedo launcher at most. Cannons and mines are useless in a boat this slow.

And I'd suggest keeping a few different ships for your hangar bays. BoPs are good for solo PvE, repair drones if you want to heal in STFs. Once you get enough rep, the purple Scorpion Fighters from Romulus can take the place of your BoPs, or you could get some purple Fleet BoP hangars.
____
Keep calm, and continue firing photon torpedoes.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,681
# 7
06-12-2013, 06:31 AM
if you got the EC's, might want to look for a Jem Hadar Dreadnought Carrier. I believe it is hands down the best "true Carrier" In the game. load it up with fleet polarons or one of the hybrid polaron weapons and a mk XII jem hadar space set it can be quiet deadly by itself, then add in the pets.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 585
# 8
06-12-2013, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jornado View Post
The Orion slaver pets have a chance to generate contraband for you, so you can get obscene amounts between that and Doff missions.
Ahhh, i'll definitely pick some of those up then, i thought i had to make them do things but if they just aquire loot for me that's awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrowcanary View Post
Normal Slavers don't. You need either the Advanced Slavers (from the dil store), or the Fleet ones.
According to the description, the Normal ones do. The Dilithium store ones have a chance to obtain you commodities


Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassgeek View Post
The Vo'quv plays more like a Cruiser than a Science Vessel, so you have to keep that in mind. However, it doesn't have quite the same durability as a Cruiser: it has more hull than a Negh'var, but it only has one Engineering Boff slot, one less Boff slot entirely, and one less Engineering console. You'll passively survive better than a cruiser would, but it's the active abilities that actually make a cruiser tough to crack.

You'll want Science boffs with good crowd-control (Gravity Well) and good shield heals (Science Team). Beam weaponry & turrets are best; one torpedo launcher at most. Cannons and mines are useless in a boat this slow.

And I'd suggest keeping a few different ships for your hangar bays. BoPs are good for solo PvE, repair drones if you want to heal in STFs. Once you get enough rep, the purple Scorpion Fighters from Romulus can take the place of your BoPs, or you could get some purple Fleet BoP hangars.
Ok, and thanks for the advice.


What i've gone with at the moment is

For: DBB, BA, Q-Torp
Aft : Turret, Turret, Turret

In the hanger i currently have the Dilithium Mirror Birds of Prey, And Orion slavers (For the apparent goodies)

I also just slapped 4 Green XI RCS Consoles in the engineering slots, It now turns like one of my Fed cruisers, which is atleast i'm used too.

Thanks for the advice everybody!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We won't go back, you don't know what its like in our Universe, the original timeline had gone, JJ Abrahms is everywhere"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rylanadionysis View Post
just shut up
Lieutenant
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 66
# 9
06-12-2013, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfreeman98 View Post
You are Klingon! Not some pasty-faced Earther peddling liquids for the sick.

I just want to take a moment and nominate this post for whatever forum awards/medals that may be available.
"B'rel is klingon for 'orgasm'." -cmdrskyfaller
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 248
# 10
06-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Have you considered an Orion Flight-deck Carrier? Even thou it has only one hanger slot it's pretty versatile.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:30 AM.