Lt. Commander
# 181 Ghetto Fabulous Win
01-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormnut View Post
and now for the budget solution to this:

My gaming rig is having this issue, my fix was to open the case up, take a 10 dollar Walmart small floor fan and have it blow outside air over the motherboard and CPU. This cooled my temps down by 20c when running the game at max settings and have not had this problem since. Is is a stop gap solution until I can get a new heatsink and fan for my CPU.

Epic WIN. Ghetto fabulous aka Redneck Engineering at it's finest!
Lt. Commander
# 182
01-27-2010, 11:04 PM
I just got a brand new rig, with a gforce Gts 250 in it and wow, norm temps are around 33C and when i fire up sto and get the the character select screen the GPU temp of the card increases to 58C and up within 5 mins! This cant be a coincidence and if as mentioned in other threads has been sidestepped by cryptic in instructing us the user to plug in a command in order to bypass the cause of the overheating issue and i just cant see that being satisfactory for every1. i mean, this rig is brand new, obviously air flow and dust issues are nil, this is obviously a core CODE issue and needs to be addressed, otherwise i can foresee alot of smoking pcs as a result and alot of bad reviews, neither will do well for the sales of this game so its in Crytics best interest to code in the fix or actually add an accurate system scan to apply a quality level of gameplay without overworking any particular part of a pc.
Lt. Commander
# 183
01-28-2010, 03:25 AM
This is odd... all you guys with crazy expensive gaming rigs having issues...

I'm running on a 4 or 5 year old self-built Core2 Duo rig with a single 8800GTS and 2 Gig ram (Windows XP home OS). I have 1 90mm in the side, 2 120mm (one front, one rear), the 8800 has a fan, my PSU has a fan and I've got the stock CPU heatsick and fan... and 0 problems with overheating as far as I can tell though it did get a bit laggy and auto turn down the graphics during end of beta event. It was however still playable (in fact it played easier than SWG did on my rig).

Sometimes I can't help but wonder if it's not the games... but the OS's (Vista for exaple which has caused numerous issues on my sisters newer PC even though it was factory installed).
Lt. Commander
# 184
01-28-2010, 04:34 AM
I've seen a LOT of argument over whether this issue is software or hardware related. For me it was both. I did some testing and found my GTS250 was trying to render almost 300FPS...temps were running 100+. I took steps to limit FPS to 60 (monitor is at 60mhz) and temps dropped into the 80's. I moved some things around inside and added a fan, and temps dropped into the 70's. The way the game is coded, clearly allows excessive frames to be sent to the GPU, but airflow also plays a role. Games are becoming more demanding, GPU's are drawing more power and generating more heat. These issues are going to arise, and we need to be willing to look in both directions for a solution rather than picking a side and blasting at each other.
Lt. Commander
# 185
01-28-2010, 07:35 AM
It is, indeed, an issue of both hardware and software that causes these occasional overheating issues with a few people here. On the software side, STO just needs to behave badly, and on the hardware side, the hardware needs to be incapable of taking it. Combine those two and you get a GPU running past the boiling point of water.

GTS250s should run too hot anyways, because they're basically re-branded Geforce 8 series cards with single-slot coolers as I understand it, and those cards were not meant for such limited cooling.
Lt. Commander
# 186
01-28-2010, 08:54 AM
My solution was : setting -maxfps 50

The game wasnt trying to get me 100 FPS even staring at a blank blue wall
No more lockdowns, restarts, no more graphic glitches and the game runs smoother

Average Temperature sank by 20C and was really stable at 60 on GPU
Lt. Commander
# 187
01-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iketo
My solution was : setting -maxfps 50

The game wasnt trying to get me 100 FPS even staring at a blank blue wall
No more lockdowns, restarts, no more graphic glitches and the game runs smoother

Average Temperature sank by 20C and was really stable at 60 on GPU

they really need to patch this when the game goes live or i am not going to buy my retail.... already lost 2 computers to this issue and ill be damned if i am going to buy a third power supply and another graphics card cause some lazy developer did not feel like addressing this issue with an actual patch.
Lt. Commander
# 188
01-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oicurdum View Post
they really need to patch this when the game goes live or i am not going to buy my retail.... already lost 2 computers to this issue and ill be damned if i am going to buy a third power supply and another graphics card cause some lazy developer did not feel like addressing this issue with an actual patch.
I agree and completely sympathize i did not mention that along with my previous heating issues, my 8800GT fried itself inside out, which shorted the power supply, which sent a surge to my HDD and Mobo, STO turn my once trusty PC into swiss cheese after roughly 1.5 weeks of play. I've since replaced all affected parts and have given buying this game a second thought, at least until there's some type of code fix or a physical slider in video options to turn FPS's down (if that is the cause) either way I'm not risking another pc for a game that has less graphics than most games out there. I realize MMO's can put a stain on some pc's but a Athlon 4200+ with a 8800GT w/ fan, and two large Case fans should be sufficient, i understand that with newer games comes a greater demand on CPU's but if this is supposed to be a Mass Multiplayer Game, what sense does it make to have your game model ramp up the FPS's to limitless numbers and force people without a "NASA" issue rig to deal with overheating and potential PC failure due to overheating. If its suppose to appeal to a MASSIVE public then it should accommodate those people lesser fortunate and cannot afford to buy 10 fans when they buy their copy of STO along with those who have the next gen rig.

All I'm saying is... its ok if its hardware and software issues, i can handle that, but if the software issues were dealt with would that not solve at least half of the problem? then Cryptic can say "Hey we implemented a fix and gave proper game instruction as to what would happen after said fix and if you still wanna crank up the video juice in the game its at your own risk" Then we the public cant say squat if our heating issues are due to poor cooling (which i highly doubt given the amount of posts on this issue, granted some ppl have older pcs and dirty pcs, but the ones that dont, shouldnt have to worry about temps to simply play an MMO.

Its one thing to have a great game, but its an entirely different thing to have a good game that cant be played unless your UBER COMPUTER MAN!!!!

CRYPTIC PLEASE FIX THIS

I love the Game but its not worth 3 grand.
Lt. Commander
# 189
01-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post

GTS250s should run too hot anyways, because they're basically re-branded Geforce 8 series cards with single-slot coolers as I understand it, and those cards were not meant for such limited cooling.
It should??? when i turn the Graphics card fan on 100% i hear it from my computer room doorway ( a good 3-4 feet away) Geez i'm not a techy but i thought that was pretty impressive for cooling.
Lt. Commander
# 190
01-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmoney1120
It should??? when i turn the Graphics card fan on 100% i hear it from my computer room doorway ( a good 3-4 feet away) Geez i'm not a techy but i thought that was pretty impressive for cooling.
A loud cooler doesn't mean a good cooler. Looking on Newegg at various GTS250s, some of them do seem to have what at least appear to be decent coolers, but a lot of them also don't.
Closed Thread